Tired of the one loss SEC argument

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

yellowstone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 26, 2001
Stansbury Park, Utah
The only way this should be a debate is if Ohio State loses on Saturday. Right now there are two teams from BCS conferences that are undefeated. In my eyes, Auburn has no argument. This is what is great about college football. Every game counts every week. Sometimes like last year things can fall for you the way it did for us, where we could lose to aTm and still play for the title. But had Oregon not lost last season, I would be saying the same thing about Bama. We didn't deserve it if there were two undefeated teams. Auburn needs to shut up. At least until Sparty wins on Saturday.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I agree. If there are two undefeated teams, there really shouldn't be much debate.
Now if Sparty beats the Buckeyes (which is a real possibility) or the Dukies beat the Seminoles (which is as likely as me being elected Pope), the Barn is in, I would say.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Once you lose a game, IMO you lose the right to say you DESERVE a shot at the title. If you want to argue that you should go ahead of a team, then fine. But if you don't get it, you can't be too mad - you had a chance and blew it.

Do I think Auburn would beat Ohio State? Yes. Resoundingly. But for them to say they truly got screwed, they would have to be undefeated, IMO.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Once you lose a game, IMO you lose the right to say you DESERVE a shot at the title. If you want to argue that you should go ahead of a team, then fine. But if you don't get it, you can't be too mad - you had a chance and blew it.

Do I think Auburn would beat Ohio State? Yes. Resoundingly. But for them to say they truly got screwed, they would have to be undefeated, IMO.

Oh man, is this going to be 2004 all over again? They may have had a beef in 2004 IDK, but this year if both 1 and 2 wins there isn't a debate IMO.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree. If there are two undefeated teams, there really shouldn't be much debate.
Now if Sparty beats the Buckeyes (which is a real possibility) or the Dukies beat the Seminoles (which is as likely as me being elected Pope), the Barn is in, I would say.
well, i for one hope that you will be wearing a funny hat in a week ;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It would be interesting to see the opinions here if the two undefeated teams remaining were FSU and Louisville, or FSU and Fresno State.
The purpose of the BCS is to get the best two teams in position to play for the national title. I believe a one loss SEC Champion with wins over number one and number five, plus Texas A@M, Ole Miss, and Georgia is way more impressive than an undefeated Ohio State team whose most impressive win is a 7 point victory over a 3 loss Wisconsin team, a one point win over an average(at best) Michigan team, and a come from behind fourth quarter win against a pretty hapless Northwestern.
sip

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It would be interesting to see the opinions here if the two undefeated teams remaining were FSU and Louisville, or FSU and Fresno State.
The purpose of the BCS is to get the best two teams in position to play for the national title. I believe a one loss SEC Champion with wins over number one and number five, plus Texas A@M, Ole Miss, and Georgia is way more impressive than an undefeated Ohio State team whose most impressive win is a 7 point victory over a 3 loss Wisconsin team, a one point win over an average(at best) Michigan team, and a come from behind fourth quarter win against a pretty hapless Northwestern.
sip
Louisville and Fresno State do not play in a major conference. Even when those conferences are at their best, they might have 2 teams in the top 25. The difference is that the ACC and B1G are generally solid conferences with at least 4-5 teams in the top 25. There is no way to anticipate for a really down season across your conference. This year those two conferences only have 3 teams in the top 25 at the end of the season, but each had at least 5 teams ranked at some point this season.

Eventually the SEC will see a dip like this (remember 2004?). You can only play the teams on your schedule.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Louisville and Fresno State do not play in a major conference. Even when those conferences are at their best, they might have 2 teams in the top 25. The difference is that the ACC and B1G are generally solid conferences with at least 4-5 teams in the top 25. There is no way to anticipate for a really down season across your conference. This year those two conferences only have 3 teams in the top 25 at the end of the season, but each had at least 5 teams ranked at some point this season.

Eventually the SEC will see a dip like this (remember 2004?). You can only play the teams on your schedule.
How do you think Ohio State would fare against another undefeated---Northern Illinois?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
That statement requires a bit of a qualification as I dont believe that you are referring to a 12 & 0, 14th ranked Northern Illinois.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
sip
This might be true. It would have a bit more credibility if the SEC played 9 regular season conference games.

Illusions

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 4, 2009
Summerville, SC
Remember the media is tired of the SEC and the BCS. They are foaming at the mouth right now knowing there is a good chance they can keep the SEC out of the BCSNCG. This is a good reason *U didn't jump over OSU. What is the best way for the SEC not to win the BCSNCG? Answer.... for them not to field a team in the game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Remember the media is tired of the SEC and the BCS. They are foaming at the mouth right now knowing there is a good chance they can keep the SEC out of the BCSNCG. This is a good reason *U didn't jump over OSU. What is the best way for the SEC not to win the BCSNCG? Answer.... for them not to field a team in the game.
Ummm, no.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
The only way this should be a debate is if Ohio State loses on Saturday. Right now there are two teams from BCS conferences that are undefeated. In my eyes, Auburn has no argument. This is what is great about college football. Every game counts every week. Sometimes like last year things can fall for you the way it did for us, where we could lose to aTm and still play for the title. But had Oregon not lost last season, I would be saying the same thing about Bama. We didn't deserve it if there were two undefeated teams. Auburn needs to shut up. At least until Sparty wins on Saturday.
But, but Auburn is a team of destiny. You do not understand. It's a God thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.