2013-2014 College Football Coaching Carousel

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: CBS reporting Sarkesian to USC

I don't understand this move by USC. They can have almost any coach they want and they choose Sarkesian?
That's an overstatement. Sumlin opted to stay at Texas A&M, Petersen isn't leaving Boise, and ditto with Patterson at TCU. In that case, you're basically have the choice of pursuing either a young but short on big-time experience college coach -- Sarkesian, James Franklin, Charlie Strong, etc. -- or go the NFL route and try to hire a re-tread with no real CFB experience, like Fisher or Del Rio.

Point is that there really is no home run hire just waiting for them out there.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

I hear they gave Orgeron an opportunity. No one could understand his answers to the interview questions, but an old white-haired Colonel with a grey hat and a Van Dyke started crying.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That's an overstatement. Sumlin opted to stay at Texas A&M, Petersen isn't leaving Boise, and ditto with Patterson at TCU. In that case, you're basically have the choice of pursuing either a young but short on big-time experience college coach -- Sarkesian, James Franklin, Charlie Strong, etc. -- or go the NFL route and try to hire a re-tread with no real CFB experience, like Fisher or Del Rio.

Perhaps, but Franklin would have been a better choice, IMO - as would Strong have been.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

At the very least, Strong and Franklin have teams that have shown improvement from year to year. Washington hasn't gotten any better in terms of talent or record. While there may not be a home run hire waiting, Sarkesian is not even a good swing. I think this is Hayden foolishly grabbing a Pete Carol guy and hoping he can recreate that magic. We saw how well that worked out last time.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Southern Cal is settling. Nussmeier may very well be gone to UW. Too bad, I think he's a good OC.
Or if he isn't considered for a HC job then perhaps he could get a call from Sark to go to USC as OC. I'm not saying he would do this but I suppose it could happen.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

At the very least, Strong and Franklin have teams that have shown improvement from year to year. Washington hasn't gotten any better in terms of talent or record.
Come again? Washington was 0-12 when Sarkisian arrived, hadn't had a winning season in seven years, and were the laughingstock of the Pac-10 (even Wazzou had beaten them four of the previous five years). Since then Sarkisian has had them above .500 for four straight seasons, turned them into a respectable Pac-12 team, and went 8-4 this season with all four losses coming to top-20 teams. And that's, of course, to say nothing of the fact that his turnaround of the program was critical in securing financing for the gut renovation of Husky Stadium.

Certainly there has been some frustration in Seattle that he hasn't been able to get them to take the next step, and that's a fair criticism, but to say he hasn't significantly improved the standing of that program is really to ignore how big of a trainwreck they were when he arrived.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Come again? Washington was 0-12 when Sarkisian arrived, hadn't had a winning season in seven years, and were the laughingstock of the Pac-10 (even Wazzou had beaten them four of the previous five years). Since then Sarkisian has had them above .500 for four straight seasons, turned them into a respectable Pac-12 team, and went 8-4 this season with all four losses coming to top-20 teams. And that's, of course, to say nothing of the fact that his turnaround of the program was critical in securing financing for the gut renovation of Husky Stadium.

Certainly there has been some frustration in Seattle that he hasn't been able to get them to take the next step, and that's a fair criticism, but to say he hasn't significantly improved the standing of that program is really to ignore how big of a trainwreck they were when he arrived.
Agree that Washington was a mess when he arrived, but would you want him as the head coach at Alabama? That should be the litmus test. Not to replace Saban, but in general?

I ask because USC is one of the few programs at that level, with the tradition and the recruiting base.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
2013 Black Sunday (err...Monday) - Coaching Carousel

We've a heard the news about UF firing their OC and O-Line Coaches.

Sark leaves Washington to take over at USCw (and shockingly won't keep Coach O)

Now Jim Grobe just told his Wake Forest team that he's resigning after 13 seasons. (Remember when we wanted him? Seems like ages ago).

Will update here as they come in

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

He's been 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, 8-4, with a record of 8-18 against ranked teams (5 of those wins were in the first two seasons, meaning he's been 3-11 since then). Conference records of 4-5, 5-4, 5-4, 5-4, 5-4. To me, that's a guy that made a jump early and hasn't progressed at all. Is he better than Willingham? Yeah. But he hasn't improved year-over-year with his teams and his players. He jumped to mediocre and stayed there.

Judging his teams year-over-year is a better comparison than comparing him to the prior regime. He's essentially fielded the same mediocre team every year.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Re: 2013 Black Sunday (err...Monday) - Coaching Carousel

I remember when Grobe had that good year a Wake Forest. I tought he would be great at Alabama. Good thing I wasn't on the search committee.:p

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Agree that Washington was a mess when he arrived, but would you want him as the head coach at Alabama? That should be the litmus test. Not to replace Saban, but in general?

I ask because USC is one of the few programs at that level, with the tradition and the recruiting base.
That's an academic, hypothetical discussion that ignores reality. It doesn't matter who you "want" as a head coach at your program, it's a simple choice of picking the best possible coach from the group of candidates that you have before you.

In that sense, although Sarkisian isn't necessarily the coach I would "want," I don't think it can be said that USC really made a "bad" choice either. In my eyes Sarkisian could reasonably be considered the best feasible option that they had.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

I hear they gave Orgeron an opportunity. No one could understand his answers to the interview questions, but an old white-haired Colonel with a grey hat and a Van Dyke started crying.
What part of "Yaw yaw yaw yaw football" can't they understand?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.