2013-2014 College Football Coaching Carousel

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: CBS reporting Sarkesian to USC

That's an academic, hypothetical discussion that ignores reality. It doesn't matter who you "want" as a head coach at your program, it's a simple choice of picking the best possible coach from the group of candidates that you have before you.

In that sense, although Sarkisian isn't necessarily the coach I would "want," I don't think it can be said that USC really made a "bad" choice either. In my eyes Sarkisian could reasonably be considered the best feasible option that they had.
Okay then, we disagree. As an OSU fan, I wouldn't want Sarkisian over some of the other options that ARE available.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

I'll look at it this way. As a friend of a Huskies fan, I'm cautiously optimistic for him. That means that I think UW has a chance to upgrade. While it doesn't mean USC is downgrading, the fact that I can say that speaks to the mediocrity of this decision. Sark may even win a lot of games with USC, but there were both "safer" and "splashier" options. Either Franklin or Peterson would have been both, although it's interesting Peterson removed his name from contention...

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida

I'll look at it this way. As a friend of a Huskies fan, I'm cautiously optimistic for him. That means that I think UW has a chance to upgrade. While it doesn't mean USC is downgrading, the fact that I can say that speaks to the mediocrity of this decision. Sark may even win a lot of games with USC, but there were both "safer" and "splashier" options. Either Franklin or Peterson would have been both, although it's interesting Peterson removed his name from contention...
I think he is a significant upgrade from Kiffin, though. Much better conditions to work with, too. He will probably do well there.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Okay then, we disagree. As an OSU fan, I wouldn't want Sarkisian over some of the other options that ARE available.
Just curious, who would you consider to be other options that are available? I can't really think of anyone that would be considered to be a big name that is available at the moment. Unless Jim Harbaugh wants to get back to coaching college I'm not sure who is available at the moment.

spray004

Scout Team
Apr 20, 2007

@McMurphyESPN

Ed Orgeron "outraged" didn't receive USC job & resigns. OC Clay Helton expected to coach bowl, source told @ESPN
I just heard that as well. It wouldnt shock me one bit if LSU hired Orgeron as director of recruiting or some other sort of position if he doesn't get a good HC offer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Just curious, who would you consider to be other options that are available? I can't really think of anyone that would be considered to be a big name that is available at the moment. Unless Jim Harbaugh wants to get back to coaching college I'm not sure who is available at the moment.
Either Franklin or Strong.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

Coach O won more conference games in less than a year than Sarkisian won in any of his five complete years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: 2013-2014 College Football Coaching Carousal

Washington is meeting with UCLA head coach Jim Mora today. Saw someone say they are confident in getting him.

Some talk about Lane Kiffin as Florida's new OC. That would be hilarious for several reasons.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
2013-2014 College Football Coaching Carousal

Reports:

Orgeron (after all that sappy talk about how USC would keep him on in some capacity) thought he did a good enough job to at least be considered for the job (and I agree).

Because he wasn't he was (rightfully) outraged and chose to resign and is actively looking at trying to get the FAU job

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Also, USC writers say Orgeron has applied for the Florida Atlantic job.

Bamatim15

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Kingsport TN

Did I read on here (I think sometime last week) that Texas was showing interest in Gus? After Saturday I wondered if that would get the ball rolling.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL

At the very least, Strong and Franklin have teams that have shown improvement from year to year. Washington hasn't gotten any better in terms of talent or record. While there may not be a home run hire waiting, Sarkesian is not even a good swing. I think this is Hayden foolishly grabbing a Pete Carol guy and hoping he can recreate that magic. We saw how well that worked out last time.
This.

Essentially what he did with his last hire (Kiffin).

I will say that I think Sark is more qualified than Kiffin at the time he was hired, and I've always heard that he was the real orchestrator behind those dominant USC offenses under Carroll. Also hear he's an excellent recruiter. I don't think it's the worst hire they could have made...they could have promoted Orgeron.

It does amuse me slightly that Coach O was so outraged about not getting the permanent gig that he resigned on the spot. He really believed he was going to get that job. The guy did a good job holding a battered - but very talented - team together this season but does anyone honestly believe that a coach that went 10-25 in three years at Ole Miss is a viable long-term option for a program like USC?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

This.

Essentially what he did with his last hire (Kiffin).

I will say that I think Sark is more qualified than Kiffin at the time he was hired, and I've always heard that he was the real orchestrator behind those dominant USC offenses under Carroll. Also hear he's an excellent recruiter. I don't think it's the worst hire they could have made...they could have promoted Orgeron.

It does amuse me slightly that Coach O was so outraged about not getting the permanent gig that he resigned on the spot. He really believed he was going to get that job. The guy did a good job holding a battered - but very talented - team together this season but does anyone honestly believe that a coach that went 10-25 in three years at Ole Miss is a viable long-term option for a program like USC?
Do you think Coach O would be a good fit on our staff? Talk about adding some mojo to our already strong recruiting...

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

What is the consensus on Mack? Did the OU win save his bacon for a year, does he need to beat the Big Bad Bears this weekend to survive or is it too little too late?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.