SEC Clarifies Rule on AU Touchdown Pass

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I saw this headline in the Tuscaloosa News online, but I refuse to pay for the newspaper online. Is there anybody in here who read the article and can explain the rule, since it has been referenced that AU offensive linemen were downfield on that pass?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From the article:

“No originally ineligible receiver shall be or have been more than 3 yards beyond the neutral zone until a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone has been thrown,” Shaw said. “The key word is thrown — it is where the players are when the pass is released.”

None of the Auburn linemen are past the 3-yard zone in a screen shot that has been circulated online among Alabama fans.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

SEC official clarifies rules on Auburn TD pass

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...orts?p=2&tc=pg

Maybe this will clarify. Anybody got a screen shoot of where the AU lineman were when the TD pass was thrown?
That explains it. If the AU linemen were indeed not beyond the 3 yards as the rule states, then there is nothing for us to complain about. It doesn't matter at this point anyway. The game is over and we lost. Can't wait for the next Iron Bowl. This game will do nothing but help us improve down the road. You've gotta have some losses to appreciate the victories. It's just extra tough to take a loss like this. Not sure I'll ever get over this one. It's a very similar feeling to the one I had after the 1972 Iron Bowl.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I didn't think the lineman were downfield, but Marshall was dangerously close to being across the LOS. In fact, I've seen it called in that same situation. It was very close.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I didn't think the lineman were downfield, but Marshall was dangerously close to being across the LOS. In fact, I've seen it called in that same situation. It was very close.
Clearly a legal play in that respect, because the rule states that as long as any part of the body is behind the LOS, it's a legal forward pass. Pretty much beyond dispute that was the case here.

In any event, though, does any of it really matter? Perhaps, but it would have put Auburn at 2nd and 15 at our 44-yard line. Still no guarantee they wouldn't have scored, I'm afraid. Auburn would have still had 32 seconds and 3 timeouts, so they could have possibly gotten another 6 or 7 plays in.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
regardless, there was no excuse for the receiver to have been so wide open or at least be free to just run 20+ yards unabated to the endzone...that was a huge defensive breakdown.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
That explains it. If the AU linemen were indeed not beyond the 3 yards as the rule states, then there is nothing for us to complain about. It doesn't matter at this point anyway. The game is over and we lost.
I think that's the proper take. Even if the refs did botch it -- and I don't think they did -- we still had numerous opportunities to win it on our end, so at the end of the day blame falls on us. Everything else is just secondary and incidental.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Clearly a legal play in that respect, because the rule states that as long as any part of the body is behind the LOS, it's a legal forward pass. Pretty much beyond dispute that was the case here.

In any event, though, does any of it really matter? Perhaps, but it would have put Auburn at 2nd and 15 at our 44-yard line. Still no guarantee they wouldn't have scored, I'm afraid. Auburn would have still had 32 seconds and 3 timeouts, so they could have possibly gotten another 6 or 7 plays in.
There are simply so many things that occurred during that game that made it almost surreal to me. You really can't point to any one bad call or mistake on our part that cost us the game. Not sure we'll ever see another one like this Iron Bowl. The only real way to make it all better will be to beat them next year and win another SEC Championship and National Championship or two over the next few years. Oh, and another AU loss or two this year would help some.:biggrin2:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

BET,

I am sorry I dont agreed with your sentiments. every play has a life of its own, you heard that before. turnovers occurred when you are in a frenzy mode, not too memtioned our defense may have something left before regulation ended. it would have been very nice to play the " what if " game.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
So the SEC has different rules than the rest of the football world?

It's always been my understanding that lineman could not cross the neutral zone on a forward pass. In one of the videos of the play that I saw, at least one of the lineman appeared to be about four yards downfield from the line of scrimmage.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

It's always been my understanding that lineman could not cross the neutral zone on a forward pass. In one of the videos of the play that I saw, at least one of the lineman appeared to be about four yards downfield from the line of scrimmage.
I haven't seen the video because I erased the game right after that ridiculous finish. But I have never heard of ANY rule that allowed offensive linemen to be past the line of scrimmage during a forward pass that goes beyond the LOS. Today is the first time I've ever heard that rule.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I think that might have been a recent (2009 or 2010) rule change to 3 yards past the neutral zone. It certainly works heavily in favor of read option teams.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
I haven't seen the video because I erased the game right after that ridiculous finish. But I have never heard of ANY rule that allowed offensive linemen to be past the line of scrimmage during a forward pass that goes beyond the LOS. Today is the first time I've ever heard that rule.
It was on Yahoo. That moron Graham Watson was talking about Nick Marshall changing hands to throw the ball in the article and they had a video of the play. I'll see if I can find it.

BrandonOfMetry

Scout Team
Oct 5, 2005
Houston
It also, in my humble opinion, has the effect of allowing for the running back on a running play to throw the ball away rather than take a loss. With the line of scrimmage rule, that kind of play would be dangerous because the OL on a typical run blocking play would move at least half a yard downfield initially after the snap. If they have a three-yard cushion though, I can see a play being run (an off tackle run maybe?) where the running back is directed to toss the ball out of bounds if the receivers don't get their blocks, etc. Seems like you'd be able to avoid big losses on runs that way and I doubt the OL would get three yards downfield. Maybe someone with more football IQ could explain whether that type of play wold violate another rule. But the only one I know of would be the ineligible receiver downfield rule.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
regardless, there was no excuse for the receiver to have been so wide open or at least be free to just run 20+ yards unabated to the endzone...that was a huge defensive breakdown.
This was the biggest error on that play.

I honestly think this loss may pay dividends for us in the future though. How great would it be for the country to ignore Auburn this year and then we make it back next year! In the long run the loss may of been worth it

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.