SEC Clarifies Rule on AU Touchdown Pass

psupoop

1st Team
Nov 17, 2008
Chester Springs, PA
There was 2 OL and Prosch blocking and running 4-5 yards downfield at the time of the pass. Also, A'Shawn was taken down WWE style. Refs blew this play badly but we had our chances earlier.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that might have been a recent (2009 or 2010) rule change to 3 yards past the neutral zone. It certainly works heavily in favor of read option teams.
I am not sure - it has been 3 yards for as long as I have been aware of the rule, but I do not know when I learned it. Certainly years ago.

mgebama

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 20, 2005
Correct, lineman were over 3 yards downfield when pass was thrown. Tapes prove this. I just saw the takedown today. Oh well, we still should have won.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Doesn't matter. Auburn was the better team Saturday.

Can't find a screenshot, but Deadspin has a high quality video - won't link it due to language, but here's a lower quality animated gif.

What it shows is that the fullback was well beyond the neutral zone (approx 5yds?). Furthest downfield lineman (Left Guard #63) was right at 3, maybe just slightly beyond. If the rule is as stated, play was either legal or so close that I can't argue with a no-call.

Again though - irrelevant, no excuses. CNS was absolutely correct - badly blown coverage in both DBs biting on the run. We got beat.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

SEC official clarifies rules on Auburn TD pass

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...orts?p=2&tc=pg

Maybe this will clarify. Anybody got a screen shoot of where the AU lineman were when the TD pass was thrown?
I've run and re-run that play but I can't tell exactly how far down field they are #63 was close to being over 3 yards if not slightly over. Marshall also is close to being over the LOS and it appears as if his right foot is over when he releases the ball. However, there is blatant holding by #73, their left tackle, on our #86 Robinson. In fact he basically tackles Robinson.

I've looked at the procedure call that took Foster's only good FG off the board and I don't see any movement by Arie or anyone else on our side and no movement by AU that might indicate motion on our part. The holding call on OJ Howard looks awfully suspect to name another critical call against us.

I know whining about officiating is pooh, poohed by the team that benefits most of the time and people say it does no good to complain but SEC officials are arguably the worst in the country. If no one complains the fans and players of all SEC teams will only continue to get bad officiating. I think it's high time the SEC took action to make sure we get the best officiating as humanly possible. If that means throwing flags and picking them up after review or more plays reviewed, so be it, but something needs to be done.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
They tried to run the same play in the 1st half where Marshall clearly wanted to throw but Jones had Coats covered and the linebackers were able to pull down Marshall for a loss. This play however the linebackers were well blocked and Marshall didn't tip his hand too soon that he wanted to throw. Jones and Clinton-Dix both had to react quickly and unfortunately made the wrong choice by both leaving Coats to pursue Marshall. I chalk this up to a perfectly executed play by Auburn.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The FB is an eligible receiver on that play. He can be further than 3 yards down the field.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I am not sure - it has been 3 yards for as long as I have been aware of the rule, but I do not know when I learned it. Certainly years ago.
The reason i am thinking 09 or 10 is I have rule book with references to 09 and 10 "edits" and the part about the 3 yards is in highlighted - I may be reading too much in to that. i do know that when I was in high school it was neutral zone, but that was in the 70's.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Regardless, we lost.
“It’s awfully important to win with humility. It’s also important to lose. I hate to lose worse than anyone, but if you never lose you won’t know how to act. If you lose with humility, then you can come back.”-
Bear Bryant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
The reason i am thinking 09 or 10 is I have rule book with references to 09 and 10 "edits" and the part about the 3 yards is in highlighted - I may be reading too much in to that. i do know that when I was in high school it was neutral zone, but that was in the 70's.
Yes. It was the 1980s for me, but that was always the rule, and I think it still is in the NFL.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I rewatchded on my DVR and the fullback was blocking at 4.5 to 5 yards downfield. The two OL were 3.5 to 4 yards downfield and were not making blocks to get there. It would have been nice to have the play called back like Bama's made field goal but don't think of this as being the reason Bama lost...

TideLegacy

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2005
Dallas, TX
Marshall was nowhere close to being over the line of scrimmage, totally legal pass. AU OL position was all fine as well.

What was not fine is 2 Bama defenders losing their coverage responsibilities or missing 3 FGs before this play, just one of which would have won the game, or failing on 4th and 1 after stopping AU on their ill advised 4th down try.

But hey, it happens, gotta remember these are a bunch of 18-22 year old kids playing a game. Bama has won 3 of 4 NCs, ton of games, SEC titles, it's not like we would never lose ever again.

Auburn easily could have lost to A&M (likely would have without Manziel injury), SHOULD have lost to UGA, and SHOULD have been down to Bama by 10 or 13 before that last TD.

But that is why they play the games and why we love it.

12-1 with a BCS bowl win is great, even spectacular when you consider it a disappointment.

Harvey Updyke starter kit fans with mean thoughts, words and threats for the Cade Foster need to get a life.

LagunaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 6, 2013
That explains it. If the AU linemen were indeed not beyond the 3 yards as the rule states, then there is nothing for us to complain about. It doesn't matter at this point anyway. The game is over and we lost. Can't wait for the next Iron Bowl. This game will do nothing but help us improve down the road. You've gotta have some losses to appreciate the victories. It's just extra tough to take a loss like this. Not sure I'll ever get over this one. It's a very similar feeling to the one I had after the 1972 Iron Bowl.
This loss will make Saban even more like a wild vulture on the recruiting trail. Hope he can get about 3 more cornerbacks. We need them bad. Lost the opelika kid, the brunswick one is waffling. Let's get Humphrey, Tabor, and the CB out of Texas, along with the TE Luatua and maybe Fournette.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The FB is an eligible receiver on that play. He can be further than 3 yards down the field.
but he was engaged in a block before the pass was thrown. and #63 was about 3 1/2 yards downfield by the time the pass was thrown (but that was fluid and sort of bang-bang). thing is, the fullback and the o linemen were blocking (or setting up to) for the run at that point.

not that any of this matters

Last edited:

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Ok, i'm as mad as anybody about some of the calls. The procedure call on Arie when it looked like he really only passed gas, the holding call on OJ that was 15 yds from the play, and all of that. But, as Dana White says "never leave it in the hands of the judges" guess what people? we left it in the hands of the judges. shouldn't have, but it was. I can show you at least 16 points that Bama left on the field. in the end, if Amari had not of dropped that pass or if Cade would have made all three attempts we would be talking about a pretty good win. oh well, accept it, learn from it, don't repeat it next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.