SI Article: Malzahn Should leave AU for Texas if offered

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think auburn could afford to pay Texas money within reason. Texas offers something absurd...yeah

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I believe that Malzahn is a really good coach. In fact, maybe too good for Auburn, and because of his style of offense, a better fit for Texas.
If anybody was curious about finding the silver lining in our loss last weekend. Malzahn leaving for Texas might be the blessing. He can stand on beating BAMA with inferior talent to bolster his resume. He will do much better with the recruiting that Texas brings in every year.
This loss could very well give us two things. (1) The only coach that could have pulled off that miracle could be in another conference. And (2) can you imagine the heartbreak on the planes??
Graytide, you do have a point. Petrino is also a good fit for Auburn. And, we all know about the integrity down there. There is none. Just My Opinion.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Malsahn certainly knows that Chizik was run off from AU only two years after winning a national championship.
But, Gus also knows better than anyone that Chizik is dumber than a bag of hair and was a terrible head coach. There's a lot to criticize *U for, but Chizik's firing was completely warranted.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I will say this again I do believe Malzahn is a very good coach, but one game does not make a career. I may be completely wrong but I just do not see UTX offering Malzahn, but like someone said above it will give him an incredible amount of leverage in contract negotiations. For those fans and the media that think CNS and Alabama are going away better think again.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
I think auburn could afford to pay Texas money within reason. Texas offers something absurd...yeah
No they can't. The Colonial Bank money isn't there anymore. What they have now pales in comparison. The Barn got Malzhan for a song, they can't pay him Saban or Brown money.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I find this thread to be ironic and funny. I reads just like the "CNS to Texas" threads we've seen in the last year. Just replace CNS with CGM and Alabama with Auburn and the exact things are being said. Funny!

However, the difference in Gus' case is that he's got a much different resume and time frame to work in/with over the next few years.

Also, if he's wanting to "cash in"on beating Bama this year he might want to consider that Auburn beat Bama on a day when our whole organization had an "off day" like you'll only see once every few seasons and it still took the freakiest play in football to pull off the victory.

I have no idea if Gus loves the Barn, but he's got millions of reasons to consider leaving and probably 20+ years of a career to consider.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
One big advantage Malzahn has over any other candidate for a possible UT opening is his experience in the bovine industry. If he gets an interview he should point out that he has much experience with cattle. This should make for a smooth transition and a miminal learning curve from the cow college to the Longhorns.

h2o

1st Team
Dec 31, 2006
Winfield, Alabama
No, they will replace Malzahn with the coach they have lusted for since 2003, Petrino with or without his motorcycle.
I was thinking this too. Which is a better coach and recruiter? In other words, who would we as a Bama Nation and the Bama coaches want to compete against 365-24/7? We know what Petrino can do year after year but the verdict is still out on Malzahn if he can sustain success.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I will say this again I do believe Malzahn is a very good coach, but one game does not make a career.
I don't think his offense will work long-term in the SEC - the defenses are too fast and figure stuff out too quickly. And I'm not trying to trumpet him as being an elite coach - not enough data yet - but he is 19-4 as head coach. That's a really good start.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
*U is still paying Tubberville and Chizik, Chizik got a big raise after the NC in 2010. Malzahn (I heard) is the lowest paid coach in the SEC, that is going to change drastically if they keep Malzahn. Personally I can't see *U competing with the big oil money. Malzahn knows that he was extremely lucky to only have one loss this year (so far), next year will change everything because *U will still not be blessed with top calibre talent and the folks down on the plains will be lucky to post an 8 game winning season next year. If I was Malzahn and the offer was on the board I would bolt for Austin immediately because they could still very likely lose the next 2 games.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
On the morning sports talk show I often listen to, the hosts were talking about this. One of the hosts said, "He wouldn't have the crazy boosters like he does at Auburn." The other host said, "The boosters at Texas would be LESS involved?"
They both laughed about the idea of Texas having less intrusive boosters, but agreed that Auburn's boosters were more intrusive than at Texas.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
*U is still paying Tubberville and Chizik, Chizik got a big raise after the NC in 2010. Malzahn (I heard) is the lowest paid coach in the SEC, that is going to change drastically if they keep Malzahn. Personally I can't see *U competing with the big oil money. Malzahn knows that he was extremely lucky to only have one loss this year (so far), next year will change everything because *U will still not be blessed with top calibre talent and the folks down on the plains will be lucky to post an 8 game winning season next year. If I was Malzahn and the offer was on the board I would bolt for Austin immediately because they could still very likely lose the next 2 games.
I am not sure how many juniors will leave, but the barn roster is loaded with underclassmen. Dismukes will probably go, since he will probably be the first center drafted (but ya never know). I don't know about any others. I don't think the overall talent level drops that much though. Dismukes will be difficult to replace.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I am not sure how many juniors will leave, but the barn roster is loaded with underclassmen. Dismukes will probably go, since he will probably be the first center drafted (but ya never know). I don't know about any others. I don't think the overall talent level drops that much though. Dismukes will be difficult to replace.
Remember, there's a full recruiting class in there that was brought in to run a Pro Set or I formation offense.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I was amazed that all but one starter on the barn defense was an upperclassman.
Misleading; they substitute whole sections of their defense regularly (not just individual players, especially on the Dline). When you say Lawson is a starter but Ford is a backup, well...you get my point. Backups for them play more than backups for Bama.
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/08/auburn_releases_2013_two-deep.html

I'm sure this has changed since the beginning of the season, but there are only 4 seniors listed as starters here on defense (3 and one possible).
Not that it matters much...their defense was terrible and should have been exposed worse than it was all year, especially last Saturday.

Last edited:

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I hope he stays. As the article points out Auburn is MAYBE the 5th place team in the SEC. I would place aTm and USC above them. The longer he stays the more fun we have as we drive Auburn in the ground. Please stay, Gus.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.