Question: Could Alabama decline Orange Bowl invitation in order to play in Sugar?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Would have to be a back room deal as the only way BAMA-AU would match up is if OSU and FSU win on Saturday. In that case, the Orange would get 1st pick to replace FSU, then the Rose Bowl would get to replace OSU. After that, the Orange gets the 1st @ large and would have to pick Central Florida or No. Illinois leaving BAMA to be selected by the Sugar with the 2nd @ large pick
If FSU and OSU lose, it would be Bama and the Barn in the title game, no?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
What is "the committee" and is there any rule about not being allowed to decline an invitation if you are guaranteed a BCS slot (like Alabama is this year)? If so, I would assume there would have to be back room deals to keep the Orange Bowl committee from offering an invite to Alabama.
The "committee" is the Sugar Bowl Committee, and you can think of it like a Chamber of Commerce. They're going to listen to their economic sponsors and partners before sending out an invite. The problem here is the Sugar Bowl Committee and the Orange Bowl's version of same are not necessarily going to be working in partnership. I suspect both want a good game for their respective bowl, and if the SEC is pushing against a rematch, I would expect that opinion to win out.

As for your question about refusing an invite, it's usually frowned upon. But I don't know if it's against any specific rule.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
My friends and I agree, a rematch against Auburn in a non-championship game is better than somehow playing FSU or OSU or Mizzou in the BCS Championship Game (with playing Auburn in Pasadena obviously our first choice for post-season matchup).
Are you serious? So let me get this straight; you and your friends think that a "spite" rematch against Auburn is better than adding (potential) National Championship #16??!?!?!

Not only do I think that's ridiculous, but such a game would be forgotten by next year while a National Championship will be remembered forever.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I hate to see Bama play Clemson. All gain for Clemson; tough to inspire Bama to play. On the other hand, I do not think they can turn it down like Coach Bryant used to be able to do and politic for the bowl of his choice.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This is all up to the Sugar Bowl, not the conference. And its very unlikely that the Sugar Bowl would want an Alabama rematch with Auburn.

Outside the SEC, there is serious SEC fatigue. The nation just doesn't want to see an SEC vs. SEC rematch in a BCS bowl game. The Sugar Bowl was the host of the Bama vs. LSU title game (rematch of an epic regular season battle), which was the 3rd lowest rated National Title game in the BCS era. It's doubtful the Sugar Bowl folks would see it as the ratings boom we would.

But I think RGW said it best:

You don't decline BCS bowl opportunities.

4thGenBamaGrad

1st Team
Nov 4, 2007
Boca Raton, FL
Are you serious? So let me get this straight; you and your friends think that a "spite" rematch against Auburn is better than adding (potential) National Championship #16??!?!?!

Not only do I think that's ridiculous, but such a game would be forgotten by next year while a National Championship will be remembered forever.
The only way we play FSU in the championship game is if OSU loses and Mizzou beats Auburn but does not jump us in BCS rankings. What would be remembered about the season would be how the much-maligned BCS ended in a fitting way.

As for us vs OSU or Mizzou--it isn't happening (since FSU is not going to lose to Duke) anyways.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
This is all up to the Sugar Bowl, not the conference. And its very unlikely that the Sugar Bowl would want an Alabama rematch with Auburn.

Outside the SEC, there is serious SEC fatigue. The nation just doesn't want to see an SEC vs. SEC rematch in a BCS bowl game. The Sugar Bowl was the host of the Bama vs. LSU title game (rematch of an epic regular season battle), which was the 3rd lowest rated National Title game in the BCS era. It's doubtful the Sugar Bowl folks would see it as the ratings boom we would.

You are very wrong on this one. The SB absolutely wants the matchup. I'd fire their committee if they didn't try everything in their go power to get it. Fatigue would be hosting another lousy SEC vs. AAC matchup where maybe 10,000K UCF.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
The only way we play FSU in the championship game is if OSU loses and Mizzou beats Auburn but does not jump us in BCS rankings. What would be remembered about the season would be how the much-maligned BCS ended in a fitting way.

As for us vs OSU or Mizzou--it isn't happening (since FSU is not going to lose to Duke) anyways.
Yeah. I know it sounds crazy but I'm hoping that FSU and OSU both get beat this week. Then we would probably play the winner of Mizzou/Auburn for the championship. I think a loss to Duke would put FSU out of it and a loss to anyone would do that to OSU.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
Look at it this way. Its possible that ToSU loses to Mich St. I don't believe that FSU loses to Duke. This would put the winner of
the SEC Championship against FSU and I don't want it to be the barners. This would put Mizzo against FSU.
It would also relegate the barn to a lower tier bowl which suits me just fine! Roll Tide Roll

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
This doesn't matter now, but the ideal situation would have been for Texas A&M to beat Mizzou, sending 2-loss South Carolina to the SEC Championship. Then if USC could beat Auburn and only ONE team loses between OSU or FSU, then we're in.

But that didn't happen.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
While I agree with the majority of the posts in this thread, I gotta tell ya -

With the emotional trauma of last Saturday being little more than 72 hours old, with all due respect to the OP, not sure I'm ready to think about playin' them again just yet...

Methinks we have some work to do, and I'd much rather see it directed against another high profile foe...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Disagree. The Sugar Bowl would love this matchup.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You don't pass up a BCS bowl bid - BCS rules dictate a maximum of two teams from any one conference go to BCS bowls. If Bama passes on the Orange, the Orange will choose someone else (possibly another SEC team) as they get first pick - then the Sugar would take the SEC champion and we could be left at a lower bowl.

IOW, zero chance we pass on it. Money talks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.