Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Will DJ Pettway be offered a scholarship at Bama?

Recently, a lot of recruiting experts have been saying DJ will end up back at Bama. I can't remember a situation where Saban has kicked a kid off the team then offered him a scholly after going to JUCO. We could definitely use a good DL. DJ was on his way to a lot of playing time this year and being a difference maker.
    I think he was just a victim of bad friends and influences. If he has learned his lesson, is there a chance Saban will give him a second chance?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Will DJ Pettway be offered a scholarship at Bama?

Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post
    Recently, a lot of recruiting experts have been saying DJ will end up back at Bama. I can't remember a situation where Saban has kicked a kid off the team then offered him a scholly after going to JUCO. We could definitely use a good DL. DJ was on his way to a lot of playing time this year and being a difference maker.
    I think he was just a victim of bad friends and influences. If he has learned his lesson, is there a chance Saban will give him a second chance?
    I believe the same, however I think he'll wind up at FSU.

Sent from my iPhone

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding need, I don't think it's anywhere near what it was prior to the emergence of Jonathan Allen and A'Shawn Robinson. Plus, Pagan isn't chopped liver. So we don't need Pettway nearly as much now as we did at the beginning of the year.

But positional need isn't the issue.

I don't care if we were down to recruiting DLs off the intramural fields, you simply can't have a guy who participated in the beating and robbing of multiple students, done to get money for vending machine snacks, representing the University of Alabama.

I don't know if Pettway actually threw punches or kicks, or if he held anybody down, or if he just stood lookout. But none of that matters. At an entirely different level of seriousness, it's the same concept as the driver of the getaway car being just as guilty of murder as the trigger man.

Letting a lesser participant back on the team because, see, he didn't really do anything all that bad, and, well, we really need him, just sends a message to so many people that is so wrong on so many levels.

Look, I'm all for redemption and second chances. But he participated in multiple unprovoked felonious attacks on totally helpless people -- and yes, when faced with four thugs who also happen to be in national-class physical condition, those students were indeed helpless.

Let's make this a little more personal. Just suppose I'm full of it, and Pettway is allowed back in school at UA. How do you feel about your son or daughter sitting next to him in class? Running into him on The Strip? Passing him on the Quad late at night after the library closes?

I'll be flabbergasted if Mr. Pettway doesn't have to find his redemption elsewhere.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It was multiple? I thought just one?!

Sent from my iPhone

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

If we don't need him, and coach Saban invites him back anyway, what then?

The coach knows the kids, knows the details of the attacks, knows all the factors at play here. If he invites oneof the players back, he is the best informed person on the planet to make that kind of decision. Whether we all agree with his choice is another matter. But I think we'd have to respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Regarding need, I don't think it's anywhere near what it was prior to the emergence of Jonathan Allen and A'Shawn Robinson. Plus, Pagan isn't chopped liver. So we don't need Pettway nearly as much now as we did at the beginning of the year.

But positional need isn't the issue.

I don't care if we were down to recruiting DLs off the intramural fields, you simply can't have a guy who participated in the beating and robbing of multiple students, done to get money for vending machine snacks, representing the University of Alabama.

I don't know if Pettway actually threw punches or kicks, or if he held anybody down, or if he just stood lookout. But none of that matters. At an entirely different level of seriousness, it's the same concept as the driver of the getaway car being just as guilty of murder as the trigger man.

Letting a lesser participant back on the team because, see, he didn't really do anything all that bad, and, well, we really need him, just sends a message to so many people that is so wrong on so many levels.

Look, I'm all for redemption and second chances. But he participated in multiple unprovoked felonious attacks on totally helpless people -- and yes, when faced with four thugs who also happen to be in national-class physical condition, those students were indeed helpless.

Let's make this a little more personal. Just suppose I'm full of it, and Pettway is allowed back in school at UA. How do you feel about your son or daughter sitting next to him in class? Running into him on The Strip? Passing him on the Quad late at night after the library closes?

I'll be flabbergasted if Mr. Pettway doesn't have to find his redemption elsewhere.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    If we don't need him, and coach Saban invites him back anyway, what then?

The coach knows the kids, knows the details of the attacks, knows all the factors at play here. If he invites oneof the players back, he is the best informed person on the planet to make that kind of decision. Whether we all agree with his choice is another matter. But I think we'd have to respect it.
    TSDTR is being pretty successful giving thieves a second chance out of JUCO.
    Not saying we should but CNS will be on top of the situation.
    ROLL TIDE

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand that. I probably wouldn't like it. But i would assume students at other schools would know about his history and feel the same way. Why would it be different at BAma than any other school. Unless the student who was attacked is still at school at BAma and is terrified of DJ.
    I don't know what will happen, but I'm curious.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a student at UA and I would feel comfortable only if he comes out and issues an apology and shows his remorse by helping out around the community, as well.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

It's a shame we have such a bad DL situation for this to even be a possibility!

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasscutter256 View Post

I understand that. I probably wouldn't like it. But i would assume students at other schools would know about his history and feel the same way. Why would it be different at BAma than any other school. Unless the student who was attacked is still at school at BAma and is terrified of DJ.
    I don't know what will happen, but I'm curious.
    The issue would exist at any school that accepted Pettway. The difference is that other schools aren't my concern. I don't care what they do. I do care very much about the well-being of students at the University of Alabama, and the overall reputation of my alma mater. For that reason, I'm exceedingly dubious of having him back on campus in Tuscaloosa.

By the way, I'm curious on a point you made. Why would it make any difference if any of the victims are in school any more or not? It strikes me that the idea is to keep this from happening again. So my primary concern at this point would be for the safety of the ones who are there.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; December 1st, 2013 at 10:02 AM.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    It was multiple? I thought just one?!

Sent from my iPhone
    Two incidents, separated by about an hour.

Here's. a summary:
    http://blogs.tennesseevalleynow.com/...g/d-j-pettway/

Here's an account by one of the victims and a friend that he called as soon as he regained semi-consciousness:
    http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/201...yers-arrested/

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Two incidents, separated by about an hour.

Here's. a summary:
    http://blogs.tennesseevalleynow.com/...g/d-j-pettway/

Here's an account by one of the victims and a friend that he called as soon as he regained semi-consciousness:
    http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/201...yers-arrested/
    I remember the beating but I thought it was one.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I believe in forgiveness. A truly humbled and remorseful person can contribute twice as much positive energy as the negativity of the past given the proper situation.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda