JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Will make it all the more sweeter when they're crying in their popcorn after he signs the contract.
It's only been mentioned once during this entire thread but as it stands now Mack Brown is still employed at Texas. That in and of itself says a lot. I'm not saying UT wouldn't stoop to the level of Auburn, but they would be scrapping the bottom of the barrel by about to finalize and sign a coach at another school and haven't even gotten rid of the one they've got.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
My opinion is that after his regrets about what happened in Miami, Saban will live up to his statement that he is happy here and is too old to start over. I believe him and look forward to him bringing us NC #16.
That is my hope as well - at the end of the day he has too much of his personal integrity riding on what he and Terry have been quite vocal about and that will override whatever "crossroads" they are currently facing.

SouthBaman

1st Team
Mar 26, 2004
Deep South
Hopefully this will all be over soon, and we'll be looking forward to CNS coaching our team in the Sugar Bowl.

Just out of curiosity, though, does anyone know if a head coach has ever made the lateral move from one all-time top ten college football program to another?

Pugsley

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2012
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Not sure about the Texas flight, but the ones to Stuttgart are probably a group of duck hunters. I know several who are crazy enough to charter a plane if they hear the ducks are coming in heavy.

Duck hunters are a strange breed.

Edit: This is in response to the inquiry about the flight on page 24.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It's only been mentioned once during this entire thread but as it stands now Mack Brown is still employed at Texas. That in and of itself says a lot. I'm not saying UT wouldn't stoop to the level of Auburn, but they would be scrapping the bottom of the barrel by about to finalize and sign a coach at another school and haven't even gotten rid of the one they've got.
that has been my problem with the whole Saban to Tejas thing anyway.
I am more concerned Saban is just burned out and might consider quitting all togather.

I am out of this thread until something comes out that is concrete.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
that has been my problem with the whole Saban to Tejas thing anyway.
I am more concerned Saban is just burned out and might consider quitting all togather.

I am out of this thread until something comes out that is concrete.
You can't leave. Once you come in there ain't no leaving. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Another Texas board mentioned last evening that Mack wasn't present at last nights weekly team meeting. What that IDK, but he doesn't miss them.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
It seems like Franchione would be a good choice for Texas. San Marcos is only 30 miles from Austin, so they wouldn't have to pay to relocate him. And San Antonio is about 45 miles the other direction, so he could commute for their bowl game each year.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
As of 10 minutes ago, he's in Kentucky personally recruiting Matt Elam. They're scheduled to meet at 11

Edit: BET beat me to it
^^Would the "sky is falling" posters please note these type of things. This is potentially Saban's most talented class and he knows it. He's not going anywhere. Thanks WMack for posting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As far as Mack Brown goes, remember he's signed through 2020 and is making over 5 million a year. Last year he was bristled at the notion of leaving, and even got his lawyer involved. It seems to me that the only way to get him to step aside might actually be to bribe him, perhaps even pay him above what he was scheduled to make, and that issue is further complicated by the fact that he had strong support among some big boosters.

So, given the situation, it's extremely unlikely that he steps down prior to Texas having their other coach lined up. From what I gathered, when Sexton and Mack were contacted last year, the suggestion was for Mack to act like this whole thing was his idea. It's understandable that this made him really angry, because Nick Saban is the same age, Mack is the second most accomplished Texas coach in history, and I'd guess in his mind he's Saban's equal. Another report I read suggested that Mack was on board with Gus though, and that is a bit more understandable because he never faced Gus, and Gus is younger so it's not as insulting. In either case, it would appear that a plan has been put in place to get rid of Mack one way or the other.

I'm betting that the Mack Brown supporters simply won't budge until/unless a suitable replacement is found. They're not going to fire him, and then do a search like USC did, in which they just get the best available option. They're getting rid of a guy that went to the BCSCG twice, and nearly won the Big-12 this year, they want a clear upgrade. They can just throw money at this I guess, but I'd bet that we see Mack Brown and a new Texas head coach at the same press conference, and if that doesn't happen it means things didn't go as planned.

I also think this coaching search is also a power struggle, in a sense the Mack Brown supporters were defending the castle, and the invaders were trying to oust him. If they arrive with Nick Saban, they'll have won that war, so that's why they have such desperation, because if they don't land someone like that, they've lost. I'd wonder why Nick Saban would even consider a situation like that, but remember Miami lured him away with promises that didn't quit pan out.
Any timeframe on the decision? The suspense is getting to me.
From what's been publicly stated, the only decision is whether or not he's going to sign the extension. I don't know the exact details, but it's not like that means he can't leave (unless they finally included a buyout, and a massive one at that), it would just affirm his commitment to Alabama. It sounds like there's more to it than that, like he really is considering his options, and if there is any doubt, we'd want a quick resolution, but the truth is we don't know what's in his head. He might have no intention of leaving and might just be seeking more leverage...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
If he's out recruiting, it could be a few days. You can't sign something if you ain't in town.
That's just not true in this day and age. Countless ways to legally "sign" a document these days, none of which involve actually putting physical pen to paper on original parchment.

As someone who does a lot of business deals, in my personal experience most contracts just aren't executed in that fashion any more. Just about everything we do these days is electronic signatures.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
...Another report I read suggested that Mack was on board with Gus though, and that is a bit more understandable because he never faced Gus, and Gus is younger so it's not as insulting. In either case, it would appear that a plan has been put in place to get rid of Mack one way or the other...
I am not 100% convinced the whole "Gus" deal is dead as badly as the barners would like to think it is. I don't know how much or even if his recent extension increased his buyout. Even if it did, Texas is willing to buyout MB and is reportedly willing to spend as much as $10MM for CNS - CGM's buyout would be chump change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.