JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugsley

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2012
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Does the exact amount of the salary have to be reported? Could Coach Saban be paid 8 million a year, but the University just state that the salary is in excess of 5 million?

It is unfortunate that other (less performing) coaches will reap the benefits of Coach Sabans tireless efforts. Don't several coaches have contracts where they are the highest paid coach, therefore matching or exceeding by a dollar his contract. I hate that other coaches benefit from Coach Sabans effort.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Does the exact amount of the salary have to be reported? Could Coach Saban be paid 8 million a year, but the University just state that the salary is in excess of 5 million?

It is unfortunate that other (less performing) coaches will reap the benefits of Coach Sabans tireless efforts. Don't several coaches have contracts where they are the highest paid coach, therefore matching or exceeding by a dollar his contract. I hate that other coaches benefit from Coach Sabans effort.
Once the Board of Trustees approves it, it becomes a public document and is releasable.
My, My! My 1,000[SUP]th[/SUP] post!

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
While there is no way to tell how long Coach Saban will coach, I believe he will retire from Alabama. What this raise does is show the Sabans just how much they are appreciated by the University of Alabama.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Don't several coaches have contracts where they are the highest paid coach, therefore matching or exceeding by a dollar his contract. I hate that other coaches benefit from Coach Sabans effort.
Those are surely written as a one-time raise, no in perpetuity, otherwise two (or more) people with that clause in their contract would literally be increasing each others' contract every year. For example, IIRC Les Miles had a clause in his contract that if he won the NC he would be the highest paid coach - that was a one-time raise.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Once the Board of Trustees approves it, it becomes a public document and is releasable.
My, My! My 1,000[SUP]th[/SUP] post!
Problem with that is that, unless the FOI law has been very recently strengthened, there is no real penalty for noncompliance...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm glad to see this, but others will point to the no buy out clause and the rumors will keep on coming.

3dtide

Nov 12, 2010
Sorry guys I don't post a lot, but have been visiting this site for years. My source for info on Bama. Will this end already. I'm seeing some talk on the pay sites that just won't let this go away. What is the deal? Tired of getting asked about it at work and rival fans faces beaming when someone mentions TX. Any word today?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
that should quiet the Saban to Tex rumors
I'm glad to see this, but others will point to the no buy out clause and the rumors will keep on coming.
Sorry guys I don't post a lot, but have been visiting this site for years. My source for info on Bama. Will this end already. I'm seeing some talk on the pay sites that just won't let this go away. What is the deal? Tired of getting asked about it at work and rival fans faces beaming when someone mentions TX. Any word today?
The rumors are wishful thinking and intentional lying by rivals who want Nick Saban somewhere, anywhere, other than Alabama. Meanwhile, they're trying to turn recruits and stir angst within the Bama fanbase.

They will continue until Texas replaces Mack Brown, whenever that might happen, with somebody other than Nick Saban.

Then they'll switch to whatever traditional power out there is going through a down time. Michigan and Nebraska would appear to be the immediate alternatives du jour. in a few years, it might be USCw. Or, if B. Kelley repeats this year's struggles, Notre Dame (that would be the second time we've been through the Saban-to-Notre Dame merry go round).

I believe Saban's next stop is retirement to Lake Burton. Don't know when that might be, and have absolutely no inside information. But if forced to guess, I'd say three more years.

After that, I'd see lucrative side gigs doing public speaking, television analysis, and consulting, all largely on his own schedule. Maybe even doing volunteer coaching at a high school near the lake.

I don't see him as Bill Battle's successor. Not because he can't do the job. He most certainly can. But because I don't see him wanting to deal with the (baby?) kissing political aspects.

Last edited:

3dtide

Nov 12, 2010
Thanks 4Q, I'm normally the one squashing these type of things when asked, but I also don't see everything thru crimson glasses. There is always another side to any story....RTR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.