Page 8 of 86 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team alwayshavebeen's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    After this extension, it's best we start planning ahead for the next coach.

Sent from my iPhone
    ^^^^^This

2. Advertisement
    Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I have to admit I am a little perplexed and slightly troubled by how events played out.

I've been pretty confident that Saban won't leave Alabama to coach elsewhere, I felt like if he leave abruptly, he would retire, for instance if he won three in a row at Alabama, then I could see the allure to going out on top. If anything though, I felt like the loss to Auburn should cement his position at Alabama, he's no Urban Meyer, he doesn't seem like the type to run from difficulty.

When I heard that there he was on the verge of a new deal, and one that apparently had him coaching through the end of the decade I was a bit surprised. I never really saw him going past about 5 more years. But, hey, I'll take it. Then, instead of seeing an announcement that Saban signed an extension, we hear that Gus signed an extension. Considering both have the same agent, and both names have been attached as top targets for the Texas job, it reeks of Sexton's influence.

He manages to play up Texas' interest in Gus to get a substantial raise, and then from what I can tell the Saban deal hasn't been signed. I'm not trying to start a rumor in that regard, I just don't see any indication it has been, so what now? Part of the problem is I don't trust Bill Battle, his recommendations for the playoff committee were horrible (worse than the ones the SEC actually got, which hardly favored Alabama), and I'm not really sure if he's doing what he should be doing right now. Right now, he should be writing 0s on a piece of paper until Nick tells him to stop, and for good measure he should ask if there's anything else he wants.

If I was to speculate, I'd say Alabama (Battle) got played. Sexton got a raise for Gus, and he got more leverage (via an offer from Alabama, and Gus being taken off the market) he can use if he wants to have a bidding war between Alabama and Texas. We should have been hearing Saban signed a deal and more rumors about Gus, but somehow that got flipped around.
    I've vehemently disagreed with you on a handful of matters, but damned if that's not a sharp observation.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    I've vehemently disagreed with you on a handful of matters, but damned if that's not a sharp observation.
    seems to me (at least using the occam's razor concept) that gus' raise could have just a bit to do with the fact that they way outperformed based upon almost everyone's expectations
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation First Team TheAccountant's Avatar

I really don't understand why many of you just can't take CNS (and his wife) at his word. My God... It's not like his current contract has expired and if a new one is announced by midnight he's gone.

I guess some of you are like my mother and just have to have something worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    seems to me (at least using the occam's razor concept) that gus' raise could have just a bit to do with the fact that they way outperformed based upon almost everyone's expectations
    Also, maybe, just maybe, Gus actually likes coaching at Auburn and has no desire to coach at Texas.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    I honestly do not think Saban would try to play us, Sexton maybe, but I just don't think he will. If something is going on, he may have a hard offer on the table from UTw and is considering his options or it could be a bidding war. I hope he stays, but he has always had wanderlust. He clearly enjoys building more maintaining.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAccountant View Post
    I really don't understand why many of you just can't take CNS (and his wife) at his word. My God... It's not like his current contract has expired and if a new one is announced by midnight he's gone.

I guess some of you are like my mother and just have to have something worry about.
    There is genuine reason for concern...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

I was surprised and mildly disappointed at Battle's hire, but then thought maybe I was nervous over nothing. Then I heard his committee recommendations, his comments earlier this year basically condoning poor game attendance, and now rumblings of Saban leaving? If Saban leaves even indirectly because of Battle, Bill should be fired on the spot.

Earle, would Battle's influence have anything to do with this, um, uneasiness?
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    I was surprised and mildly disappointed at Battle's hire, but then thought maybe I was nervous over nothing. Then I heard his committee recommendations, his comments earlier this year basically condoning poor game attendance, and now rumblings of Saban leaving? If Saban leaves even indirectly because of Battle, Bill should be fired on the spot.
    It really won't have anything to do with Battle, although Mal and Saban had a special relationship...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Is the concern that he will leave for Texas, or retire, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    If he leaves then he and his wife will be liars and their reputation tarnished. Until something actually happens other than backdoor rumblings, I will take him at his word.

If he leaves then he and his wife will be liars and their reputation tarnished. Until something actually happens other than backdoor rumblings, I will take him at his word.
    I agree, but this is not a "backdoor rumbling." This is coming from me...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Do you really think he cares about his reputation as you would see it? He's a hired gun with no true allegiance to anyone but himself. I don't mean that as a slight whatsoever. It's just who he is.