JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Man, I live in TX also. The shorthorns would be unbearable if he does come.

I hope he is just scratching an itch and this will be over by this week and he will recruiting our next #1 class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I'll always appreciate Saban for what he's done. My main concern if he were to leave now would be keeping the recruiting class together we have coming in. No way would we keep a lot of those guys.

If Mal Moore were still with us, I wouldn't worry, but there's something about Battle that's bothered me a little since day one. I can't put my finger on it.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Jimmy sexton is churning his clients. All for Jimmy's benefit. Its how he makes a living. Sexton apparently has a great deal of influence over the Sabans.

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Man, I live in TX also. The shorthorns would be unbearable if he does come.

I hope he is just scratching an itch and this will be over by this week and he will recruiting our next #1 class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...
I know there are people on here who are in the know when it comes to these things and I believe what they say is going on is correct. I just think that it is him trying to decide if he wants to finish out his career at Alabama or not. What I mean is that this is probably his last chance of moving on and if he decides to stay at Alabama this year he will be here until he retires and I think that this is him trying to decide if he wants to retire at Alabama or if he wants to rebuild another program.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think anybody here preparing to be "bitter" (if the worst comes) needs to realize you are demonstrating precisely the "unappreciative" aspect that has been mentioned by Mrs Saban.

My goodness, three national titles in four years and a program on a solid foundation....and then a meltdown? Look at LSU's sustained run after he left there. I'm not trying to be "nothing to see here," I don't know - I'm just saying that if we had not had him then odds are we'd be three fewer national titles. OK?
I've defended CNS for saying what he did in Miami. I really believe when he said "I'm not going to Alabama" he meant it, but later changed his mind. Remember, he was somewhat forced to answer the question then.

But now, after months of rumors he and his wife have said (CNS more than once) they would finish their career here and they were two old to move.

Unless they were prepared to do that they both should have kept their mouths shut.

Sorry, but I'm not unappreciative for the coaching job he's done...far from it!

But if he leaves for UT alot a people won't ever forgive him.

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
I just read the whole thread and we have went from Coach is going to retire here,to he's kicking the tires elsewhere.I love roller coasters but this one is too scary for me to ride.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Agree totally.

Having been in school during the Dubose era and then following that up with Fran and Price/Shula, I find it very hard to be bitter at the man. Considering where we were and where we are now, I can't be mad at the man if he leaves or retires.
I would not be bitter, but I'd have less respect for him for being untruthful in his interviews. I don't think he feels good about what happened in Miami. I don't think he'd want to repeat that incident with another untruthful statement and his wife having one also.

So, here's hoping he stays at Bama and continues to be an honest person and a person of high integrity. And, at this point I think he is a person of HIGH integrity.

Bill Battle get busy!

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Jimmy sexton is churning his clients. All for Jimmy's benefit. Its how he makes a living. Sexton apparently has a great deal of influence over the Sabans.
I wish it was just that but I don't like the sound of our connected posters.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know there are people on here who are in the know when it comes to these things and I believe what they say is going on is correct. I just think that it is him trying to decide if he wants to finish out his career at Alabama or not. What I mean is that this is probably his last chance of moving on and if he decides to stay at Alabama this year he will be here until he retires and I think that this is him trying to decide if he wants to retire at Alabama or if he wants to rebuild another program.
That's substantially correct. Kinda late in life to have a identity crisis, but I think he's just been putting it off by moving from one job to another. Now, the calendar, and, maybe, health, have caught up with him. Oh well...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I would not be bitter, but I'd have less respect for him for being untruthful in his interviews. I don't think he feels good about what happened in Miami. I don't think he'd want to repeat that incident with another untruthful statement and his wife having one also.

So, here's hoping he stays at Bama and continues to be an honest person and a person of high integrity. And, at this point I think he is a person of HIGH integrity.

Bill Battle get busy!
This. I wouldn't hate him, but I would not respect him. It would fly in the face of his own words the past several years.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I don't agree. It's a question of character and what might well happen. After that 60 Minutes interview and how he was perceived after he left the Dolphins..... Need I say more? If he truly is in it for the pleasure of working with young people then it doesn't matter where he is. If you are a "teacher" as he says he is then it's not about being appreciated. It's about the chance to make a difference and being a constant in the lives of those that he is affiliated with and teaches.

I think anybody here preparing to be "bitter" (if the worst comes) needs to realize you are demonstrating precisely the "unappreciative" aspect that has been mentioned by Mrs Saban.

My goodness, three national titles in four years and a program on a solid foundation....and then a meltdown? Look at LSU's sustained run after he left there. I'm not trying to be "nothing to see here," I don't know - I'm just saying that if we had not had him then odds are we'd be three fewer national titles. OK?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
One last comment and I'm outta here for tonight with hopeful thoughts!

If Coach were to leave, the Barners would be bragging that the Gus Bus had sent him packing to texas to get far away from the Gus Bus lead Barners!

They'd say he left because he had a vision that he would never win against the Gus Bus Barners!

No matter what happens!

RTR!!!!!!!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't agree. It's a question of character and what might well happen. After that 60 Minutes interview and how he was perceived after he left the Dolphins..... Need I say more? If he truly is in it for the pleasure of working with young people then it doesn't matter where he is. If you are a "teacher" as he says he is then it's not about being appreciated. It's about the chance to make a difference and being a constant in the lives of those that he is affiliated with and teaches.
Most people who spend their lives influencing young people spend their whole lives underappreciated. You'd think for a few million a year plus a few million more this year in paying off debts would be appreciation, but I guess it depends on your perspective...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree. Words people say matter. He'll be judged very severely by the whole country (outside of UT and Lee Co.) if he jumps ship after all he and Terry have recently said.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
That's substantially correct. Kinda late in life to have a identity crisis, but I think he's just been putting it off by moving from one job to another. Now, the calendar, and, maybe, health, have caught up with him. Oh well...
I just keep going back to the last several months that BOTH he and Terri have made it a point to reiterate this was their last stop. To the point where she's doing her own interviews stating it. To now go back on that, not retire, but go to another would be pretty low down. I would like to think the Saban's aren't like that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One last comment and I'm outta here for tonight with hopeful thoughts!

If Coach were to leave, the Barners would be bragging that the Gus Bus had sent him packing to texas to get far away from the Gus Bus lead Barners!

They'd say he left because he had a vision that he would never win against the Gus Bus Barners!

No matter what happens!

RTR!!!!!!!
Salt in our wounds, no doubt!

And while it may not be true that he's running from Gus, perception is reality and that's how many will perceive it.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I've defended CNS for saying what he did in Miami. I really believe when he said "I'm not going to Alabama" he meant it, but later changed his mind. Remember, he was somewhat forced to answer the question then.

But now, after months of rumors he and his wife have said (CNS more than once) they would finish their career here and they were two old to move.

Unless they were prepared to do that they both should have kept their mouths shut.

When Mal recruited him (the blueblood he was) he was assuming that any coach coming to Alabama would stay the duration. He was not looking for a mercenary to build up the program and move on to another college program. I don't know, if Nick and Terry really want to move on to Austin then may they fail miserably and yes, thank you very much.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

I agree it's a bit different situation from Miami. At Miami, when Saban said he had no interest in Alabama, it was true. We were operating under info given to us from JS... who indicated Saban would be interested after their season was concluded if we'd wait that long. I don't know exactly when Sexton approached Saban with the possibility... but I tend to believe it was later rather than sooner due to Saban's focus during a season. His wording was what was bad... instead of saying "I'm not going to UA," it should have been "I have no interest in that job." At the time, I believe Sexton knew Saban was done with the Dolphins... with control in personnel decisions being a huge factor.

Today, much more has been said... with particulars added. Saban repeatedly has claimed he'll not leave for another job - that retirement is what will end his time as HC here. IF he were to leave, his credibility will be greatly harmed... FAR more than the fallout from Miami.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I just keep going back to the last several months that BOTH he and Terri have made it a point to reiterate this was their last stop. To the point where she's doing her own interviews stating it. To now go back on that, not retire, but go to another would be pretty low down. I would like to think the Saban's aren't like that.
Me too BB. It seems their demeanor has pointed to his next big challenge of maintaining a program. We will see. I'm hoping that I wake up with good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.