JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There is way more stuff on our side but my first post was already way too long so I left a lot out. If it becomes relevant, I'll post but most of it is just speculation and chatter.

As for the Aggies, according to them they don't care about us 'sips anymore, and they are focusing on the SEC heavy hitters. i.e. Alabama My dad and sister went to A&M and all I hear about is Alabama this, that. So now you guys get two little brothers. Congrats!
For starters, welcome here to TideFans (although it appears your visit may be short). Do know that you are welcome here and you don't have to be a Tide fan - you're just expected to behave yourself and you're part of the family. Your first post exhibits a lot of class and sober thought. I do have one thing I want to address, however, in concrete terms so that you understand what we in Alabama mean by arrogance in Texas. Your points are spot on for the most part but I want to show you the difference in what we're talking about.

In 1990, Bill Curry left. Our first interview was with FSU head coach Bobby Bowden. Bowden made the mistake of thinking he could come in like a king without interviewing for it and some things were said - and he went out and signed a lifetime contract with FSU. We hired Gene Stallings.

We did NOT rush out into the newspaper and tell the whole world - in the middle of a football season with an incumbent coach - "We're hiring Bobby Bowden."

In 2000, the Internet was now alive, and we were looking for a coach. The late Mal Moore was in charge of the hiring and on that year's LSU game he steadfastly refused to give names as to who was under consideration. Whatever happened, we wound up with Dennis Franchione.

We did NOT have multiple "sources" putting up posts within seconds saying that "We're hiring (fill-in-the-blank)."

In 2006, the popular choices here were Steve Spurrier and Nick Saban (with apologies to Paul Johnson's agent, dabaxter). Not only did we not put out stories "we're hiring Saban," but we took Saban at his word and hired Rich Rodriguez (or something like that, who really cares?).

And that gets to my point. There are multiple dozens of folks who claim to be connected in Longhorn-land who FOR THREE YEARS now have spouted about how "Saban is coming." Note that there is no hedging there, no "we're gonna try and get," just a dogmatic "we throw open the wallet and get what we want." I've yet to meet a soul - and I've been in Dallas nearly nine years - who ever hedges. No, Saban is coming and you're gonna show those Alabama rednecks how it's done in the "real" world.

There is not another state/fanbase in America who talks like that. And to be fair - I don't just put it on UT. In October 2002, I was in med school and one day the guy behind me (an Aggie) was talking football with somebody else. He said - in a defiant, calm tone - "We're gonna fire R.C. Slocum and go get Dennis Franchione from Alabama." Just like that. No, "that's who we want," or "that's who we'd like." Just a snotty and arrogant, "He's coming."

We've heard this now for three solid years. And as I noted - you won't find another group of people in the USA who will talk this way about hiring coaches. Not Notre Dame, not Ohio State, not USC. And that is the basic point I'm saying.

And btw - you want another manifestation? Just wait until Texas hires somebody else and these same people who have put their reps on the line with "Saban is coming" won't admit they got snookered by a source, hoodwinked, or lied to. No, they'll come right out and say, "Saban was just a smokescreen to get who we really wanted and everyone fell for it." Like I said - arrogance.

Now - I'll leave it at that, I just wanted to point out to you the "why." Every fanbase has got its bad apples like the David Puddy face-painter and Harvey Updyke (and the tea bagger guy). Most of us (just like most of yours) are not like that.

Again - welcome and I look forward to it.

AJtheGREAT

Dec 9, 2013
So if the 10 million/year rumors are true. Am I the only one who thinks we would be better off letting Saban walk? I know he is the best coach in cfb but 10 million a year really? He wouldn't coach ten years anyway he is 62 and we are stacked with talent and will compete for national titles for years to come. Oh and Chris Davis was out of bounds

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
So if the 10 million/year rumors are true. Am I the only one who thinks we would be better off letting Saban walk? I know he is the best coach in cfb but 10 million a year really? He wouldn't coach ten years anyway he is 62 and we are stacked with talent and will compete for national titles for years to come. Oh and Chris Davis was out of bounds
No. You pay Saban whatever he wants. He has proven to be a great investment and he's the best of this generation of coaches.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Goodbye in 3.....2......1.....

AJtheGREAT

Dec 9, 2013
why are we not allowed to have different opinions than that we must mortgage everything to keep saban? There are other good coaches out there that we can replace him with. If he was going in conference to say UGA,LSU,TAMU, or one of the other SEC schools then yes pay at all costs. The only way we will face him is in the playoffs now

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That wasn't even a rumor - it was a Texas student punking everyone - especially Texas fans.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
In 1990, Bill Curry left. Our first interview was with FSU head coach Bobby Bowden. Bowden made the mistake of thinking he could come in like a king without interviewing for it and some things were said - and he went out and signed a lifetime contract with FSU. We hired Gene Stallings.
I'm pretty sure that Bill Curry was hired after we missed out on Bobby Bowden in early 1987. I don't think we pursued anyone other than Gene Stallings after Curry left in early 1990.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What a first post! Yes, there's certainly a point at which Bama would give up on a bidding war, but I don't think it'll come to that. Now, if I'm not surprised, I expect Saban to sign a 7 million plus contract with us...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
why are we not allowed to have different opinions than that we must mortgage everything to keep saban? There are other good coaches out there that we can replace him with. If he was going in conference to say UGA,LSU,TAMU, or one of the other SEC schools then yes pay at all costs. The only way we will face him is in the playoffs now
The problem - your first post on this board suggests letting Saban go. You may be legit, but that is not the way to win friends.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
in 1995 gene stallings made $750 thousand, 17 years later saban is making 8 times that. in another 17 years are we going to be paying a coach $40 million a year. this is getting out of hand. if we agree to pay saban $10 million a year I will stop sending money to the university. some people may think it's worth paying him that much, but as an alum, I will not support that.

AJtheGREAT

Dec 9, 2013
10 mill, while a bogus figure, is still pocket change considering the amount CNS brings in.
10million a year *10 years = $100 million. That is not pocket change for anyone or anything I could reasonably 7-8 million but anything other than that is absurb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.