JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If he leaves then he and his wife will be liars and their reputation tarnished. Until something actually happens other than backdoor rumblings, I will take him at his word.
Do you really think he cares about his reputation as you would see it? He's a hired gun with no true allegiance to anyone but himself. I don't mean that as a slight whatsoever. It's just who he is.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, without giving out too much info was there anything that happened between when the extension was first reported to now that has made this thing turn a different direction?
Not really that I know of. I think it's just Saban being Saban and trying to figure out which role he really wants to play...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think that if he is even considering a jump, that is enough for me to lose a bit of respect. If you preach commitment, you better walk the walk.

I believe he cares what his legacy would be, yes. That's part of his reputation.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If he leaves then he and his wife will be liars and their reputation tarnished. Until something actually happens other than backdoor rumblings, I will take him at his word.
Well, for the record if Nick Saban retires it wouldn't make either of them liars. Also, how some fans have behaved (no, not really talking about attendance, just some of the insane behavior after the loss) really couldn't have helped.

What an extension would have said, is that Nick Saban doesn't really see the end of his time at Alabama. What any hesistance, and reluctance says is that he thinks he sees an end. Not signing it doesn't mean he retires after this season, it doesn't mean he leaves for Texas, but it's still ominous.

For my part, I can't really fathom Saban leaving for Texas after the Auburn loss and the comments. It would leave a stain on his reputation, and furthermore even though Texas could give him what ever he asked for, I don't know if he'd have enough time left at Texas to see that come to fruition. They can build what ever, he can recruit whoever, but he's at the point in his career that time is working against him and I just can't reconcile why he'd leave for Texas. But, I'm not in his shoes either...

I think that if he is even considering a jump, that is enough for me to lose a bit of respect. If you preach commitment, you better walk the walk.
My opinion on him won't change unless he leaves. I still think what ever is going on, has Sexton's hands all over it, and I'm not going to judge how someone forced to deal with Sexton, Battle, etc... might end up being a unsteady.

Last edited:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I agree, but this is not a "backdoor rumbling." This is coming from me...
That's the perplexing thing. He already had his reputation smashed after what he said as the Dolphins HC about the Bama job. Now, if as you suggest (and I do trust what comes from the mods on this site), it isn't 100% that he's coming back to our team, he's going to face a LOT of negative recruiting and bad press if he goes elsewhere.

I'm hoping that he's just weighing his options and lands back in Tuscaloosa.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That's the perplexing thing. He already had his reputation smashed after what he said as the Dolphins HC about the Bama job. Now, if as you suggest (and I do trust what comes from the mods on this site), it isn't 100% that he's coming back to our team, he's going to face a LOT of negative recruiting and bad press if he goes elsewhere.

Agree totally...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

The thing that worried me during the Auburn game was his lack of emotion. I didn't see him really jump butts the way he normally does. That's what got me thinking he had other things on his mind...and Auburn wasn't one of them.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
The thing that worried me during the Auburn game was his lack of emotion. I didn't see him really jump butts the way he normally does. That's what got me thinking he had other things on his mind...and Auburn wasn't one of them.
After the game, my dad said he thought Saban would be gone. He talked about his demeanor during the barn game as the reason. Who knows.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We've basically, collectively, said if CNS leaves we'll just be happy for what he did and say thanks.

But I really don't think that's how this will go down IF he leaves to coach at another school. This will test our fanbase (and Tidefans Board) like nothing we've faced since the death of Bear Bryant.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Well, I have a different perspective as a Coach, Teacher and someone that works with young people. If tell young people that you're going to do something, you better do it. It will haunt you far more than telling a bunch of adults a lie. When he signs a recruit not only does the recruit commit to him, but he commits to that recruit.

Well, for the record if Nick Saban retires it wouldn't make either of them liars. Also, how some fans have behaved (no, not really talking about attendance, just some of the insane behavior after the loss) really couldn't have helped.

What an extension would have said, is that Nick Saban doesn't really see the end of his time at Alabama. What any hesistance, and reluctance says is that he thinks he sees an end. Not signing it doesn't mean he retires after this season, it doesn't mean he leaves for Texas, but it's still ominous.

For my part, I can't really fathom Saban leaving for Texas after the Auburn loss and the comments. It would leave a stain on his reputation, and furthermore even though Texas could give him what ever he asked for, I don't know if he'd have enough time left at Texas to see that come to fruition. They can build what ever, he can recruit whoever, but he's at the point in his career that time is working against him and I just can't reconcile why he'd leave for Texas. But, I'm not in his shoes either...

My opinion on him won't change unless he leaves. I still think what ever is going on, has Sexton's hands all over it, and I'm not going to judge how someone forced to deal with Sexton, Battle, etc... might end up being a unsteady.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.