JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I posted this last night and forgive me for reposting, but I've others do so before and with this thread going so fast I want to reemphasize. And I know (because a couple of members seem to think it matters) that I'm relatively new to the board and only have around 150 posts. I can tell you I have "sources" of my own and several close friends and even former teammates currently coaching in Major Conferences. The jest is that if and when UT dumps Brown all bets are off in terms of who may or not be their target and NFL money will not matter to them. So A&M, Aub, LSU, and everyone else that feels safe (including NFL teams) you better rethink. FWIW I do not think Coach Saban is going anywhere and I take him and Terry's word to nth degree. Here is the post I made - Here is the situation with Texas. They are going to do the same thing Mal Moore did in early 2007 and that is to try and get the best coach in the country to come and return them to their version of glory. They do not care what the salary is, or how much the buyout is, or if it is after the NCG or the Super Bowl. Do not assume that because a big-time college coach has reportedly signed a contact extension at a major University, or a coach currently coaching a NFL team that will be playing in January it means they are out of the picture. Texas feels like they have one chance to get it right and they are going to all they can to make sure it happens and they will wait and pay whatever it takes. It is going to be a monumental play on their part that will change the "game" for some college or pro team, but I don't have any reason to believe it will be CNS so long as Bama does what it needs to do.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
I saw the interview and couldn't believe it. He should want those seats full, too. I've just never gotten a good vibe from him. I guess that is what happens when you have to fill Mal Moore's shoes. :frown:
Well, that's the key - filling Mal Moore's shoes. He was one of the best AD's Bama has probably ever had. Saban did a lot to bring this program back, but Mal Moore did a tremendous amount as well, getting the facilities upgraded, etc.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
I posted this last night and forgive me for reposting, but I've others do so before and with this thread going so fast I want to reemphasize. And I know (because a couple of members seem to think it matters) that I'm relatively new to the board and only have around 150 posts. I can tell you I have "sources" of my own and several close friends and even former teammates currently coaching in Major Conferences. The jest is that if and when UT dumps Brown all bets are off in terms of who may or not be their target and NFL money will not matter to them. So A&M, Aub, LSU, and everyone else that feels safe (including NFL teams) you better rethink. FWIW I do not think Coach Saban is going anywhere and I take him and Terry's word to nth degree. Here is the post I made - Here is the situation with Texas. They are going to do the same thing Mal Moore did in early 2007 and that is to try and get the best coach in the country to come and return them to their version of glory. They do not care what the salary is, or how much the buyout is, or if it is after the NCG or the Super Bowl. Do not assume that because a big-time college coach has reportedly signed a contact extension at a major University, or a coach currently coaching a NFL team that will be playing in January it means they are out of the picture. Texas feels like they have one chance to get it right and they are going to all they can to make sure it happens and they will wait and pay whatever it takes. It is going to be a monumental play on their part that will change the "game" for some college or pro team, but I don't have any reason to believe it will be CNS so long as Bama does what it needs to do.
BB made a point today in an earlier post and it reminded me of what a friend of mine said yesterday about this whole thing. It's hard to fathom Saban wanting to go into a conference which runs HUNH almost exclusively, when he hates defending it.

HOWEVER, Gus Malzahn would fit PERFECTLY into that conference and at Texas.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I believe Coach Saban is a man of integrity and he has said he and Miss Terri will be at Bama until he retires to Lake Burton. I take him at his word and am not worried he would go to another job. He might retire and he may want to spend time with a new grandchild, but I can't see another coaching job being competition for the one he has now.
His accomplishments here are outstanding and questioning his word based on rumors is not fair.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
To clarify any statements I have made...

I think it is a reasonable conclusion that if Mal Moore was still the AD, we'd probably not be having this discussion. It is somewhat reasonable for someone to re-evaluate their job when bosses change though.

I think Nick Saban is smart enough that if the main issue was Bill Battle, he'd just have Bill Battle replaced and that would be that.

Having said that, my comments about Bill Battle all come down to me not trusting him. Bill thought he had a deal signed, it's not. He's done a few other questionable things. I don't think he has bad intentions, I don't think he dislikes Saban, but that doesn't mean he's the guy to talk Saban off the ledge (assuming he's on it in the first place).
Hey! I just read this post on ShaggyBevo. I guess they are monitoring this site to get legitimate info.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Nick Saban has a contract at Alabama that has not expired. He and his wife have said over and over that they are ending their coaching careers here. Nick is out recruiting his tail off for Alabama as we speak. Yet you read this thread and think the sky is falling. I do respect Earle very much, and obviously he has seen or heard something that worries him, but at the end of the day, there's nothing to suggest that Coach Saban is going to do anything next year except try to get himself and our team another championship. Until i see him standing at a podium somewhere else being announced as their next head coach, I'm not concerned. If he does leave or retire, we'll hire a great new head coach and we can all thank Coach Saban for leaving this place better than he found it. Good grief people, you wonder why our country is headed into the crapper - everyone has lost track of where their priorities lie.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Difficult to grasp how on the 6th Jess felt confident enough to post that an extension was agreed to and all but signed/sealed/delivered, and less than 2 days later we're not even sure Coach wants to be here. Either this whole leaving story is a pile of pooh, or someone was not negotiating in good faith, or someone else was extremely premature in leaking news of an extension. Coach's actions since the IB ended, today included, are not those of someone planning to leave. On one hand I think surely he hears these stories and could quash them with a few words, but he has done this at every turn and yet the speculations refuse to cease. So, put in his shoes, I just ignore them and go about my business. He can't help that the Bama Nation is an overly worrisome, even paranoid lot.

If the staus quo changes, I can't help but believe Coach will let us know, personally and definitively. Til then, no worries.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Difficult to grasp how on the 6th Jess felt confident enough to post that an extension was agreed to and all but signed/sealed/delivered, and less than 2 days later we're not even sure Coach wants to be here. Either this whole leaving story is a pile of pooh, or someone was not negotiating in good faith, or someone else was extremely premature in leaking news of an extension. Coach's actions since the IB ended, today included, are not those of someone planning to leave. On one hand I think surely he hears these stories and could quash them with a few words, but he has done this at every turn and yet the speculations refuse to cease. So, put in his shoes, I just ignore them and go about my business. He can't help that the Bama Nation is an overly worrisome, even paranoid lot.

If the staus quo changes, I can't help but believe Coach will let us know, personally and definitively. Til then, no worries.
The Saban's have said nothing about "not wanting" to be here, in fact, they have said quite the opposite.

TideLegacy

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2005
Dallas, TX
I don't follow the murmurings, pressers, etc. of the Bama AD, but lets be clear about one thing. Battle, Alabama AD, is NOT Nick Saban's boss. No matter what the org chart says and lines of reporting are. There is not an organization in the world where a boss makes less than 10% of his employee and holds more sway and is the true boss of said employee. PERIOD. If there was a problem with Battle Saban has but to make 1 or 2 phone calls and there will be a vacancy for the A.D. job. To think otherwise is foolish in my opinion.

Saban is already the highest paid coach in CFB, and rightly so. But he is under contract until, what, 2019. He has worked long and hard to build a dynasty in Tuscaloosa and continues to recruit at an unbelievable pace to continue winning at an elite level. To me there is no reason to leave and to be honest I'd be disappointed if he is trying to strong-arm Bama to renegotiate his contract just because the cows will offer an absolute ridiculous contract paying more than many Super Bowl winning coaches in the NFL.

My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.