JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Maybe BB is ready to step aside and CNS is ready to take on both jobs! I mean if we going to speculate lets go whole hog!

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
I think there may be some merit to a lot of these thoughts. I think Saban knows that complacency is a threat in EVERY relationship in life. Eventually, he'd have to deal with it at Texas too. Just going by what he has said, I think he'd rather stay at Alabama, but as his wife has stated, there's that new set of problems - being spoiled, getting complacent, not appreciating what you have. It looks like he's trying to come to terms with that, knowing that he has to settle somewhere because of his age, and still having that feeling that he's got enough in him that he thinks he just "might" have one more rebuilding project in him. I think he's at that crossroads and time isn't on his side.

It's hard to relate to people on Nick Saban's level. One thing I keep going back to is Michael Jordan retiring from basketball to play baseball. That still seems irrational, but the fact is his dad died and he realized it was his last chance to try to become a major leaguer. On one hand it's nuts, on the other it's a rational solution to a problem.

Mal Moore's death had to have triggered some concerns with Nick Saban. Be it over the new AD and President, or just a reminder of his own mortality, it seemed to be enough to make Nick re-evaluate things. It's more rational than it might appear, because there's a ticking clock and Nick probably doesn't want to have any regrets. He's the hottest commodity in the entire coaching world, but in a few short years that will be over.

It's understandable that some people have developed a shut up and coach mentality when it comes to Nick Saban. He's paid millions of dollars and some people can't understand why he can't just take the money and do his job, and leave everyone else alone. In most situations, most environments that surely would be enough. But, Nick Saban isn't most people, and Alabama isn't most environments. He wants everything to be perfect, and he agonizes over things most of us wouldn't think twice about.

I'm not an insider, I'm not privy to private conversations, but there's been concern expressed over complacency and appreciation. This might not seem like much, but those things can be enough to take down any team. If Nick Saban is the head coach for Alabama next year, it's unimaginable that he goes elsewhere after that. The Texas situation developed into a rare chance to make a lateral move, and after that time will eat up what ever chances he might have left. There is likely a rational fear that if he stays at Alabama, there won't be the urgency required to get things done. Some people will settle into the ok, we have Nick Saban, we're good, mentality, while ignoring anything Nick says.

I feel like Nick Saban has been trying to shake things up for a while now, he's been trying to stir up the fans, and arguably trying to stir up the administration. He's said here's what you need to do, and he's gotten some backlash (nothing major, but for a perfectionist it's notable) for it. There has to be concern on his part that he's running out of leverage, once people know he's not leaving, it's easier to just ignore him, and he'll be left dealing with the consequences. This might sound like conjecture, and it is, but if Bill Battle is ok with publicly going out there and contradicting the head coach on TV, what might others in positions of power feel comfortable doing behind closed doors?

I hope Saban is mainly trying to stir things up a little, keep people from being apathetic and exert the proper amount of influence. That might not be it at all, but it feels like that's part of it, and as for the allure of Texas, I'd assume Saban feels like that at least for a couple years, the fans and powers that be would indulge any requests he makes without criticism, which of course makes it easier for him to accomplish his goals. I think Saban has to recognize that in the long run, the move to Texas would be the wrong move (he has to know he can't "rebuild" Texas without damaging Alabama), but right now the Texas situation is giving him the most power he's ever going to have. After that, all he has left is the Barry Sanders approach...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Those last two paragraphs were KrAzY speculation. What backlash has Nick Saban gotten? How is he running out of leverage? How does Texas give him any more power than he already has?
I did say it was conjecture, and I can assure you I was perfectly calm when I wrote it. I think the more irrational approach is just to wring my hands over why he hasn't signed the extension yet, vs. analyzing the situation. My outlook is actually positive, I don't think he's considering bolting because he's just a wanderer.

Specifically, when Nick Saban said he wanted fans to stay for 4 quarters, he got backlash in the media, on this forum, and as has been noted even Bill Battle publicly disagreed. That's reality, and for the record while I disagree with those sentiments, I (reluctantly) understand why people might feel that way, but that doesn't mean Nick Saban has to like it. Furthermore, Terry got backlash as well, for her comments about appreciation. Remember, Nick is a perfectionist and perfectionists don't miss small details. Big, small, they all matter.

As far as more power, as I said for a couple of years at least, Texas fans and people in power wouldn't think to question his demands, but of course that would eventually end.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
It's hard to relate to people on Nick Saban's level. One thing I keep going back to is Michael Jordan retiring from basketball to play baseball. That still seems irrational, but the fact is his dad died and he realized it was his last chance to try to become a major leaguer. On one hand it's nuts, on the other it's a rational solution to a problem.

Mal Moore's death had to have triggered some concerns with Nick Saban. Be it over the new AD and President, or just a reminder of his own mortality, it seemed to be enough to make Nick re-evaluate things. It's more rational than it might appear, because there's a ticking clock and Nick probably doesn't want to have any regrets. He's the hottest commodity in the entire coaching world, but in a few short years that will be over.

It's understandable that some people have developed a shut up and coach mentality when it comes to Nick Saban. He's paid millions of dollars and some people can't understand why he can't just take the money and do his job, and leave everyone else alone. In most situations, most environments that surely would be enough. But, Nick Saban isn't most people, and Alabama isn't most environments. He wants everything to be perfect, and he agonizes over things most of us wouldn't think twice about.

I'm not an insider, I'm not privy to private conversations, but there's been concern expressed over complacency and appreciation. This might not seem like much, but those things can be enough to take down any team. If Nick Saban is the head coach for Alabama next year, it's unimaginable that he goes elsewhere after that. The Texas situation developed into a rare chance to make a lateral move, and after that time will eat up what ever chances he might have left. There is likely a rational fear that if he stays at Alabama, there won't be the urgency required to get things done. Some people will settle into the ok, we have Nick Saban, we're good, mentality, while ignoring anything Nick says.

I feel like Nick Saban has been trying to shake things up for a while now, he's been trying to stir up the fans, and arguably trying to stir up the administration. He's said here's what you need to do, and he's gotten some backlash (nothing major, but for a perfectionist it's notable) for it. There has to be concern on his part that he's running out of leverage, once people know he's not leaving, it's easier to just ignore him, and he'll be left dealing with the consequences. This might sound like conjecture, and it is, but if Bill Battle is ok with publicly going out there and contradicting the head coach on TV, what might others in positions of power feel comfortable doing behind closed doors?

I hope Saban is mainly trying to stir things up a little, keep people from being apathetic and exert the proper amount of influence. That might not be it at all, but it feels like that's part of it, and as for the allure of Texas, I'd assume Saban feels like that at least for a couple years, the fans and powers that be would indulge any requests he makes without criticism, which of course makes it easier for him to accomplish his goals. I think Saban has to recognize that in the long run, the move to Texas would be the wrong move (he has to know he can't "rebuild" Texas without damaging Alabama), but right now the Texas situation is giving him the most power he's ever going to have. After that, all he has left is the Barry Sanders approach...
I'm sorry, but when you get paid over $5 million a year and have a statue erected in your honor, it's a bit much for me to take someone complaining about not being appreciated. and as for the pressure that he's under...he created it...that's what happens when you take a team that was a total loser and turn it into a 3 X national champion in a matter of years.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Somebody want to explain to me how Saban not signing a contract extension yet means Battle is a horrible AD and this is all his fault? I seem to remember another AD being lovingly remenbered in this very thread, who also had a coach not sign a contract extension, and in fact, did leave to coach in Texas.

Selective memory is selective.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
Or this whole thing could be boiled down to what a stupid Barner friend of mine said: Nick is skeered of Gustav Malzahn and he sees the writing on the wall and he's gittin' while the gittin's good.

• :rolleyes:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm sorry, but when you get paid over $5 million a year and have a statue erected in your honor, it's a bit much for me to take someone complaining about not being appreciated. and as for the pressure that he's under...he created it...that's what happens when you take a team that was a total loser and turn it into a 3 X national champion in a matter of years.
And here we are again. I've had enough discussion (much to the chagrin of others) on this topic to appreciate the other side. I get it, in that he's well compensated, and he shouldn't be annoyed by the bi-products of his success.

But, there's a huge difference between adoration and appreciation. I don't personally think he or Terry ever asked for adoration. And, the appreciation pertains to the football team itself. Football players want to be appreciated, they choose programs based around that, they are motivated accordingly. If I was to put myself in Nick's shoes, I imagine he views a lack of appreciation as an obstacle to success.

Of course, fan attendance is not why Nick might leave. Let me be clear, but the attitudes surrounding it could, in my mind be a factor weighing on him. Pure speculation, but when Nick publicly complains about something, and then there's some concern as to how happy he is here, it's hard not to connect the two.

I think this is perplexing because there's no way it could just be Battle, Texas, fan attendance, boredom, etc... but it obviously could be a combination of those things. Hopefully it's sorted out soon, but I don't think we should ever forget that Nick Saban is only going to be here as long as he's happy.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
Krazy came close to what I think is going on. Saban is out working hard on the recruiting trail. And no, I don't believe he is recruiting for anybody but Alabama. While he is out of pocket so to speak, I believe Jimmy Sexton told him to just keep working and let the paper work lay for a couple of days to a week. There were a lot of people really disappointed with the outcome of the awbum game, and rightfully so. We just could not get out of our own way that particular day, and it was the wrong day to have that occur.

For some reason the Saban's seem to have felt less appreciation from the fanbase this year, whether just perceived or actual, it seems to be way they feel. Then after the backlash at the coach for the team laying an egg down in lee county, and with the calls that the man, Saban, who had just led us to three out of last four national championships, well that he needed to tighten up and get this problem fixed now, well maybe Sexton told him to let the paper work lay unsigned. Make the powers that be and the fanbase take a breath and think about where we are today as a program and who the catalyst for the reemergence as a national power had been. This is all speculation from a guy that has no inside info. My guess is after this plays out, he will sign the paper work and will say he would have a day or two ago if he had not been on recruiting trail for this past week. The fanbase will take a deep breath and be happy again that he is not leaving the Capstone for Austin. The loss to the hated rival will not sting as much because we were able to keep the best college coach on the job for our team. The people that are in power that deal with Saban on a daily basis will be more careful to not run against his wishes from this point on. Sexton probably is doing what an agent should do for his client, helping him apply some leverage to a situation, whatever that situation is?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Or this whole thing could be boiled down to what a stupid Barner friend of mine said: Nick is skeered of Gustav Malzahn and he sees the writing on the wall and he's gittin' while the gittin's good.

• :rolleyes:
well, we've been saying the same thing about urban meyer ever since he left florida, haven't we?

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
I'm pretty sure from what he's said several times that the appreciation he sees lacking is for the PLAYERS. I agree with that. I think he knows he's appreciated, and I could be wrong, but I don't think he's such a prima donna that he thinks it's all about him - or at least that's not how I take it. On senior day, a lot of guys got to play who never see the field. I think it was important to him for fans to be there cheering them on because they work hard too.

As far as Battle, he rubbed me the wrong way when he made the comment about not thinking it was necessary to stay for the entire game in a blowout, but according to those who know, he is NOT the problem here, so I'm trusting their word on that despite how I personally may feel about him.

And here we are again. I've had enough discussion (much to the chagrin of others) on this topic to appreciate the other side. I get it, in that he's well compensated, and he shouldn't be annoyed by the bi-products of his success.

But, there's a huge difference between adoration and appreciation. I don't personally think he or Terry ever asked for adoration. And, the appreciation pertains to the football team itself. Football players want to be appreciated, they choose programs based around that, they are motivated accordingly. If I was to put myself in Nick's shoes, I imagine he views a lack of appreciation as an obstacle to success.

Of course, fan attendance is not why Nick might leave. Let me be clear, but the attitudes surrounding it could, in my mind be a factor weighing on him. Pure speculation, but when Nick publicly complains about something, and then there's some concern as to how happy he is here, it's hard not to connect the two.

I think this is perplexing because there's no way it could just be Battle, Texas, fan attendance, boredom, etc... but it obviously could be a combination of those things. Hopefully it's sorted out soon, but I don't think we should ever forget that Nick Saban is only going to be here as long as he's happy.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Krazy came close to what I think is going on. Saban is out working hard on the recruiting trail. And no, I don't believe he is recruiting for anybody but Alabama. While he is out of pocket so to speak, I believe Jimmy Sexton told him to just keep working and let the paper work lay for a couple of days to a week. There were a lot of people really disappointed with the outcome of the awbum game, and rightfully so. We just could not get out of our own way that particular day, and it was the wrong day to have that occur.

For some reason the Saban's seem to have felt less appreciation from the fanbase this year, whether just perceived or actual, it seems to be way they feel. Then after the backlash at the coach for the team laying an egg down in lee county, and with the calls that the man, Saban, who had just led us to three out of last four national championships, well that he needed to tighten up and get this problem fixed now, well maybe Sexton told him to let the paper work lay unsigned. Make the powers that be and the fanbase take a breath and think about where we are today as a program and who the catalyst for the reemergence as a national power had been. This is all speculation from a guy that has no inside info. My guess is after this plays out, he will sign the paper work and will say he would have a day or two ago if he had not been on recruiting trail for this past week. The fanbase will take a deep breath and be happy again that he is not leaving the Capstone for Austin. The loss to the hated rival will not sting as much because we were able to keep the best college coach on the job for our team. The people that are in power that deal with Saban on a daily basis will be more careful to not run against his wishes from this point on. Sexton probably is doing what an agent should do for his client, helping him apply some leverage to a situation, whatever that situation is?
I've started to wonder if perhaps coach saban has decided to retire in a couple of years and is asking the university to pay him a massive amount of money over the next 2-3 seasons...like in the neighborhood of $25 million. maybe he's told the PTB that he isn't coaching past 65 and that if they want him to stick around he'll do so for an exorbitant price.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Maybe it should've been phrased in a "Our Team (We) needs to be appreciated more than an "I" statement. Maybe it's a pronoun problem!

Last edited:

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
I've heard enough recently from people in the know that Coach Saban ain't going to Texas. Ya'll can keep fanning those flames all you want, but it ain't happening.

Roll Tide

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Maybe it should've been phrased in a "Our Team (We) needs to be appreciated more than an "I" statement. Maybe it's a pronoun problem!
well, ms. saban was pretty clear that it was all about them in her WSJ interview. I hate to say this (but it's what I really think and feel at this point, and it may get me in trouble here) but she came off as having a kardashian-like attitude about how she and coach should be received in the community. far from the humble west Virginian attitude I expected. she may be disappointed in the fans, but I'm pretty disappointed in her attitude...not that she cares what I have to say.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Those last two paragraphs were KrAzY speculation. What backlash has Nick Saban gotten? How is he running out of leverage? How does Texas give him any more power than he already has? Michael Jordan and Barry Sanders get thrown in there for good measure?

Wow, people have been losing it over this.
You can call me KrAzY too, cause I understand him.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Obviously, the thing everyone wants to know is "why"… why would CNS consider a move like this after all that's been said and done in the past? Someone mentioned earlier that there are a LOT of factors in play. Some of them I believe we can easily eliminate (like the AD "conflict stuff")… but others are not so easy.

Sometimes, especially for "analyzers (like me) in situations like this, it's very easy to build a case for this or for that. However, this is what everything boils down to. Nick Saban is a very unique man… and what makes sense/doesn't make sense for all of us can't always be applied to him. It's likely very few people in our fan base can actually understand the life he leads… maybe an owner of high profile company or an ex-head coach (i.e. CGS). Suffice it to say, I don't think he's ever "been here" before. In the past, he's "built" programs… always going up the ladder. He's never been in a position to be at the top for a while… looking down at others and having to motivate people to continue to "maintain" a standard.

Obviously, what he's heard from fans over the past few seasons affect him/his family - hence the statement made by his wife a few weeks ago. I imagine he's constantly heard "you think we can win again this year coach?" in his trips to the athletic clubs/recruiting visits this year to the point he's sick of it. It's not been, "we really appreciate the three you've brought us in the past few years." Granted, that's a Saban philosophy - keep on improving, the past doesn't mean anything today for a team. It's a bubble… with a LOT of pressure in it. You may or may not agree with this statement, but the person in Alabama who was most relived after losing the game on the Plains this year was Saban… the pressure had been mounting on him AND on the players all year long. Certainly, you have to wonder "will every year be like this?"

At the end of the day, I think he stays… but I seriously doubt that many of us who post on this board could begin to understand why he'd consider leaving. And, unless we walked in his shoes we probably never would be able to comprehend it. I want him to stay… but if everything came to end today, he has done wonders for our program and we owe him a deep debt of gratitude.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I've started to wonder if perhaps coach saban has decided to retire in a couple of years and is asking the university to pay him a massive amount of money over the next 2-3 seasons...like in the neighborhood of $25 million. maybe he's told the PTB that he isn't coaching past 65 and that if they want him to stick around he'll do so for an exorbitant price.
I've had a thought that is similar but different, perhaps Coach Saban is paving the way for him to step aside in 2-3 years and is wanting to pick his own replacement (Kirby Smart) and that is the holdup in signing the contract extension. I just can't see Coach Saban asking for or getting a ridiculous amount of money to coach for a couple more years. He makes plenty as it is so I doubt money is an issue with him or UA. Perhaps he is asking for Kirby Smart to be his replacement and is also trying get him (Kirby) the same amount of control over the program that he has. The UT situation is the leverage that Sexton is using to get UA to agree to this. I wouldn't bet any money on this, it's just a thought that popped into my head. I would guess that Smart being his replacement is not an issue but granting him the same amount of control might be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.