JessN: Sources say Saban, Bama are close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I want him to stay… but if everything came to end today, he has done wonders for our program and we owe him a deep debt of gratitude.
And when he came, the consensus was that if we had him 5 years then great, everything after that would be gravy and our program would benefit for years afterwards.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Maybe it should've been phrased in a "Our Team (We) needs to be appreciated more than an "I" statement. Maybe it's a pronoun problem!
I re-read the article, and it was phrased in such a manner that it allowed for multiple interpretations: "You come to a crossroads and the expectations get so great, people get spoiled by success and there gets to be a lack of appreciation,". I think it's as easy to blame the writer for how things were presented, but it was presented in the context of attendance, and why on earth would Terry personally think attendance had anything to do with her? I think it was always a huge reach to make it out to be a cry for personal attention. I'll have to recuse myself from further discussion on that though, but it's hard to disparage her (not saying you are) and then wonder why Nick could possibly be unhappy.

That article also alluded to Saban's unhappiness with control over player selection (in Miami), and one clear aspect of Nick Saban and his success is power and resources. The more power and resources available to him, the better he does. That's why I'm taking the optimistic approach, which is that the any misgivings he has are driven not by ego, or some sort of wandering nature, but rather the desire for success, which ultimately should keep him at Alabama. Once again, speculation...

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I've had a thought that is similar but different, perhaps Coach Saban is paving the way for him to step aside in 2-3 years and is wanting to pick his own replacement (Kirby Smart) and that is the holdup in signing the contract extension. I just can't see Coach Saban asking for or getting a ridiculous amount of money to coach for a couple more years. He makes plenty as it is so I doubt money is an issue with him or UA. Perhaps he is asking for Kirby Smart to be his replacement and is also trying get him (Kirby) the same amount of control over the program that he has. The UT situation is the leverage that Sexton is using to get UA to agree to this. I wouldn't bet any money on this, it's just a thought that popped into my head. I would guess that Smart being his replacement is not an issue but granting him the same amount of control might be.
I thought about the Kirby smart angle as well.

yellowstone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 26, 2001
Stansbury Park, Utah
Maybe is it just a feeling I get from him. But I don't think there is any way he would be AD at UA ever. He is a football coach. And when he is done with being a football coach he is going to go live on a lake in Georgia. I don't think he has any emotional attachment to UA that would lead him to want to do anything else here but coach football. Plus, do any of us think he has the personality to be AD? A large portion of that job is schmoozing people and fund raising. Do any of you see Coach Saban in that role?

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
This pretty much nails it doesn't it? All of us are from different walks of life - some wealthy, some poor, some powerful, some not, with most of us falling somewhere in between. We can speculate - and that's what a message board is for - but at the end of the day we can't possibly know or understand the mindset of a man like Nick Saban.

In truth, all men have the same basic needs to varying degrees, and we all understand most of those. But to be at the pinnacle of success in your profession and to have the pressure to MAINTAIN that level of success is something few people ever really know. Money isn't everything - and I've never had a lot of it, but I've lived long enough to realize and know people who have had a lot of it and still had a lot lacking in their lives. Adoration isn't everything either. At some point, when you're as successful as Nick Saban both financially and career-wise, you need something more profound to cling to. He helps young men to be successful. He wants their efforts recognized in ways other than the fan base being happy we won another championship. That's the broad picture - the end result. Saban preaches the little things - do your job correctly, as perfectly as you can and you'll be successful. From what he and his wife have said, he'd like to see the fans appreciate the little things too. It's all part of the "process". So instead of getting ticked about them for having the audacity to ask for anything else of us when they're getting so much money, a statue and adoration, maybe we should think about what they're actually trying to say. I don't think they want appreciation for THEMSELVES. I think they want us to be appreciative for ALL OF THIS, because it is so rare and goes by so quickly.

Obviously, the thing everyone wants to know is "why"… why would CNS consider a move like this after all that's been said and done in the past? Someone mentioned earlier that there are a LOT of factors in play. Some of them I believe we can easily eliminate (like the AD "conflict stuff")… but others are not so easy.

Sometimes, especially for "analyzers (like me) in situations like this, it's very easy to build a case for this or for that. However, this is what everything boils down to. Nick Saban is a very unique man… and what makes sense/doesn't make sense for all of us can't always be applied to him. It's likely very few people in our fan base can actually understand the life he leads… maybe an owner of high profile company or an ex-head coach (i.e. CGS). Suffice it to say, I don't think he's ever "been here" before. In the past, he's "built" programs… always going up the ladder. He's never been in a position to be at the top for a while… looking down at others and having to motivate people to continue to "maintain" a standard.

Obviously, what he's heard from fans over the past few seasons affect him/his family - hence the statement made by his wife a few weeks ago. I imagine he's constantly heard "you think we can win again this year coach?" in his trips to the athletic clubs/recruiting visits this year to the point he's sick of it. It's not been, "we really appreciate the three you've brought us in the past few years." Granted, that's a Saban philosophy - keep on improving, the past doesn't mean anything today for a team. It's a bubble… with a LOT of pressure in it. You may or may not agree with this statement, but the person in Alabama who was most relived after losing the game on the Plains this year was Saban… the pressure had been mounting on him AND on the players all year long. Certainly, you have to wonder "will every year be like this?"

At the end of the day, I think he stays… but I seriously doubt that many of us who post on this board could begin to understand why he'd consider leaving. And, unless we walked in his shoes we probably never would be able to comprehend it. I want him to stay… but if everything came to end today, he has done wonders for our program and we owe him a deep debt of gratitude.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Maybe is it just a feeling I get from him. But I don't think there is any way he would be AD at UA ever. He is a football coach. And when he is done with being a football coach he is going to go live on a lake in Georgia. I don't think he has any emotional attachment to UA that would lead him to want to do anything else here but coach football. Plus, do any of us think he has the personality to be AD? A large portion of that job is schmoozing people and fund raising. Do any of you see Coach Saban in that role?
I for one do not see him as the AD. Here is my nightmare scenario, Coach Saban is burnt out and retires to Lake Burton, after a couple of years to recharge his batteries he is ready to coach again, meanwhile Mark Richt leaves UGA for whatever reason (retirement, fired, mission work), and Coach Saban becomes the head coach at UGA. With the amount of talent in that state I think he could have them competing for the NC in 2 years. Another scenario would be he goes to Arkansas to clean up the mess that Bielma will leave behind in 2 more years. The talent in that state isn't as great as in Georgia but he is closer to Texas and quite frankly I think he could land a top 5 recruiting class at the University of Alaska.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Or this whole thing could be boiled down to what a stupid Barner friend of mine said: Nick is skeered of Gustav Malzahn and he sees the writing on the wall and he's gittin' while the gittin's good.

• :rolleyes:
It was just a matter of time before the barners started spewing this kind of idiocy. Saban could care less who is coaching the other teams he plays. He is more concerned how his team plays. He knows if his team plays to their capability, they will win 99% of the time. We made enough mistakes in Auburn game to lose 4 games. It is really a wonder we were in it at all as badly as we played.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I imagine he's constantly heard "you think we can win again this year coach?" in his trips to the athletic clubs/recruiting visits this year to the point he's sick of it. It's not been, "we really appreciate the three you've brought us in the past few years." Granted, that's a Saban philosophy - keep on improving, the past doesn't mean anything today for a team. It's a bubble… with a LOT of pressure in it. You may or may not agree with this statement, but the person in Alabama who was most relived after losing the game on the Plains this year was Saban… the pressure had been mounting on him AND on the players all year long. Certainly, you have to wonder "will every year be like this?"
You are right that we don't understand him. But surely it's easier for him to understand the desires of a schools fanbase and when you've won consistently throughout time and ALOT recently. It is really the greatest compliment of a fan base to think we can do it again.

Agree 100% on that!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It was just a matter of time before the barners started spewing this kind of idiocy. Saban could care less who is coaching the other teams he plays. He is more concerned how his team plays. He knows if his team plays to their capability, they will win 99% of the time. We made enough mistakes in Auburn game to lose 4 games. It is really a wonder we were in it at all as badly as we played.
IF I could psycho-analyze our fan base right now, I'd say you mention one of our greatest fears (especially for those who live in Alabama).

We know if CNS leaves we'll never hear the end of how he left because he couldn't take the pressure of facing Gus.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Think about it. This applies to every great coach. Yet Alabama fans are happy to talk about coaches who have been "processed".

I think that Saban is going through what a lot of greats go through when they are near the end of their careers and their season ends in a huge disappointment. He will get in his recruiting work and talk to his family and make a decision. By the time he makes it, it will no longer be based on the disappointment. I think he stays. If not, I think he retires. I do not see him going to Texas or any other school.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Think about it. This applies to every great coach. Yet Alabama fans are happy to talk about coaches who have been "processed".

I think that Saban is going through what a lot of greats go through when they are near the end of their careers and their season ends in a huge disappointment. He will get in his recruiting work and talk to his family and make a decision. By the time he makes it, it will no longer be based on the disappointment. I think he stays. If not, I think he retires. I do not see him going to Texas or any other school.
after the aTm game and especially the iron bowl he looked like he was completely drained emotionally, physically and mentally. I've never seen him look like that ever before and it has made me wonder if this is all just taking too much of a toll on him. the stress of this season has had to have been unfathomable.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
You are right that we don't understand him. But surely it's easier for him to understand the desires of a schools fanbase and when you've won consistently throughout time and ALOT recently. It is really the greatest compliment of a fan base to think we can do it again.
Remember where he's from and his experience - Toledo, Michigan State, LSU, Miami Dolphins. None of them, maybe the Dolphins would come closest, possesses the richness of tradition that UA possesses. It's one thing to have it in our fan base, but another for an incoming coach to not only understand it but embrace it. It can be a fine line to run IMO.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
after the aTm game and especially the iron bowl he looked like he was completely drained emotionally, physically and mentally. I've never seen him look like that ever before and it has made me wonder if this is all just taking too much of a toll on him. the stress of this season has had to have been unfathomable.
Agreed. After the LSU game I told a friend of mine that I had never seen CNS so happy and I was confident that he would retire from UA. After the AU game I told the same friend that I saw the same look on CNS face that I saw during his last game with the Miami Dolphins. Here is what I would recommend to CNS if he does coach for a few more years, learn how to delegate and give up some control especially on offense. Manage the team and coaches but don't micro-manage. Back off a bit on treating the program as if it's a NFL team and allow the kids to have a bit more fun. Simplify the defense so that it doesn't take most players 2-3 years to be contributors. Play more players especially when the game is in control. Players will be more motivated if they know they are going to play.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
This has got just plain laughable. People want to know why Coach Saban would leave when he has never said anything about wanting to so, and has debunked every attempt made that he would. Now there is contract sitting on desk somewhere unsigned, and because it wasn't inked by Coach immediately, it’s the sign of apocalypse. Have any of you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, the man is busy right now and hasn't taken the time to sit down and read something that is basically clutter to him. I mean there have been football banquets, award shows, espn TV appearances, and a whole lot of recruiting going on. Jeez already.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Roll Tide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If it's about the pressure to win and maintain winning, does any rational person think he'll not feel an equal amount of pressure at UT?

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
This has got just plain laughable. People want to know why Coach Saban would leave when he has never said anything about wanting to so, and has debunked every attempt made that he would. Now there is contract sitting on desk somewhere unsigned, and because it wasn't inked by Coach immediately, it’s the sign of apocalypse. Have any of you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, the man is busy right now and hasn't taken the time to sit down and read something that is basically clutter to him. I mean there have been football banquets, award shows, espn TV appearances, and a whole lot of recruiting going on. Jeez already.

Roll Tide
Well there again, in our defense, an administrator here who has inside info and sources has told us all he could (he can't reveal everything) but he has a source very close to Saban himself who indicated that he was waivering on signing the thing. We wouldn't have all this angst for now reason (well, most of us wouldn't) and mods even deleted threads suggesting Saban was going to Texas. But this latest development and our knowledge of it is what has caused us to speculate. Personally, I think in the end he signs it and we move on. But most of us wouldn't worry at all had it not been for this information.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agreed. After the LSU game I told a friend of mine that I had never seen CNS so happy and I was confident that he would retire from UA. After the AU game I told the same friend that I saw the same look on CNS face that I saw during his last game with the Miami Dolphins. Here is what I would recommend to CNS if he does coach for a few more years, learn how to delegate and give up some control especially on offense. Manage the team and coaches but don't micro-manage. Back off a bit on treating the program as if it's a NFL team and allow the kids to have a bit more fun. Simplify the defense so that it doesn't take most players 2-3 years to be contributors. Play more players especially when the game is in control. Players will be more motivated if they know they are going to play.
Well, it's hard for a zebra to change its stripes, but that's a good start to some things he might could do to better live in the bubble that is Bama football.

And I'd add one more thing. Not only play more players when the game gets out of hand, but don't go so vanilla in the 3rd and 4th quarters. That'll defintely help with fans keeping their butts in their seats if they know the'll see a young qb connecting with a young wide receiver (remember a young GMac throwing a perfect pass against AU a few years ago to put us up something like 36-0 in the fourth quarter?).

CNS is old school and doesn't like to run up the score, but his propensity for shutting things down after a big lead has an impact on some people leaving early.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Then maybe you should get out of the thread. You've made your point.

Roll Tide

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
If it's about the pressure to win and maintain winning, does any rational person think he'll not feel an equal amount of pressure at UT?
I would argue that the pressure might even be greater there. Oh, they'd give him time, but they're eager to be on top again and stay there...just like we were. Pressure to keep winning is inevitable. I would think, being the critical thinker that he is, he surely knows that. That's one reason I feel like he won't go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.