How do teams stop the *u offense?

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
From a Xs and Os perspective how can their O be stopped? Assigment integrity doesnt seem to hold water. I'm not a fb coach....just a fan. Help me understand. And if its so tough to stop why don't more teams run it b/c looks to me like that o will let ya run or pass.....stay balanced like Coach Saban likes. Thanks.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Very easy solution that I haven't seen anyone do, including us. Put both safeties in the box, right at the line of scrimmage to stop the run. Play one on one on all receivers and make them beat you passing the ball.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'd have to give serious thought to running a 5 man defensive front, take away everything inside the tackles - force them to throw or run wide to try to get the corner. Granted, it puts more pressure on the db's and requires good speed, but you have to takeaway something. I tend to like my chances better forcing their qb to throw and I think we have the speed to string their outside sweeps into the boundary.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I agree that this year you have to load the box to stop the run and force AU to pass to beat you. Once Marshall leaves they may go to a pass-oriented attack so that approach may not be the one single strategy that will always work. Gus Malzahn reminds me of Homer Smith and perhaps Norm Chow in that he does a great job of preparing his QB to make good decisions, he utilizes all of his skill players, he exploits a weakness in a defense, and he attacks the entire field. That is hard to defend and perhaps a different mindset is needed, i.e. don't expect to stop them but try to slow them down. Then you have to be prepared to out score them. That may go against some folks philosophy but in my opinion a win is a win regardless if it's a defensive struggle or an offensive shootout. All things considered I think our defense did a decent job. AU has 28 points right now which is what our defense allowed the entire game last week. Our offense just wasn't able to keep pace.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
If anyone can figure out the answer to that question, I think they would be the highest paid DC in the country. So far, nobody has figured it out.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Like above, load the box. Unless the QB has a really good arm, full throttle. I think we were a little arrogant in that regard because we seemed to do better when we played a 5-2. I like the 3-4, but I bet coach Saban might tweak the size and speed of a some of the defensive players in response? He'll get it figured out, just like the defenses have always done. One new recruit fits the bill nicely with the Jack!

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Reminds me of when Nebraska was on its run 1994-1997. All of a sudden teams figure out the option attack they ran and they haven't been a factor since. A lot had to do with coaching hires but still....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Gary Danielson said most of the plays aren't reads but precalled plays where they fake the handoff.

It's basically defending two runners and the possibility of a pass every now and then. I'd put my corners on an island one on one and bring the house!!!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Hey...why don't y'all ask Chavis? He didn't have any problem at all for a half, and still only gave up 21, with 7 of those garbage points.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Gary Danielson said most of the plays aren't reads but precalled plays where they fake the handoff.

It's basically defending two runners and the possibility of a pass every now and then. I'd put my corners on an island one on one and bring the house!!!
Good one.

Not an expert, 3 big DL's, one or two LB's on the flank, a safety playing more up front, and the remaining DB's covering space with occasional blitz.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
This happens every few years. ...... Florida and Tebow had an "unstoppable" offense at one time. Then CNS and CKS got the off season to figure things out. And then Tebow cried.

I'm looking forward to next season.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
This happens every few years. ...... Florida and Tebow had an "unstoppable" offense at one time. Then CNS and CKS got the off season to figure things out. And then Tebow cried.

I'm looking forward to next season.
The biggest problem to solve is the lack of adjustment time for the D. It's chess vs checker's. We are going to have to learn how to be better checker players :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.