How do teams stop the *u offense?

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Used to coach football in HS...just read some stuff on the Delaware Wing T which Gus supposedly based this offense on. It is all about outflanking the D on one side or the other. It is option football with a twist in the shotgun. Add the speed to it and it becomes confusing. Also read an article on how to stop this kind of offense. Stopping it is based on fundamentals and keys on running the offense. Every offense has certain keys as to what you are going to do. This article suggested cutting the field in half and reading keys, staying in position, and playing good fundamental football. You also need to set the edge effectively so you are not outflanked. This offense breaks down when either the Oline, backs or receivers do not perform their assignments. That leaves the QB on an island which is trouble. Out of the Delaware Wing T, there are certain things that happen on every play. You solve that and you have a defense capable of stopping it. It is not complicated and is based on trying to fool the defense. The article also suggested you have to have certain kind of players in each position to run it effectively. I can bet a lot of coaches will have this figured out either next year or the year after.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
The HUNH and other spread offenses have become the great equalizer. It's made Baylor, Oregon, Oklahoma State, and even Duke winners. It's made the five year rebuilding plan a thing of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
Used to coach football in HS...just read some stuff on the Delaware Wing T which Gus supposedly based this offense on. It is all about outflanking the D on one side or the other. It is option football with a twist in the shotgun. Add the speed to it and it becomes confusing. Also read an article on how to stop this kind of offense. Stopping it is based on fundamentals and keys on running the offense. Every offense has certain keys as to what you are going to do. This article suggested cutting the field in half and reading keys, staying in position, and playing good fundamental football. You also need to set the edge effectively so you are not outflanked. This offense breaks down when either the Oline, backs or receivers do not perform their assignments. That leaves the QB on an island which is trouble. Out of the Delaware Wing T, there are certain things that happen on every play. You solve that and you have a defense capable of stopping it. It is not complicated and is based on trying to fool the defense. The article also suggested you have to have certain kind of players in each position to run it effectively. I can bet a lot of coaches will have this figured out either next year or the year after.
Great thoughts - this offense is only a new twist on the option. It's just a matter of time before great defenses figure it out.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Enjoyed reading your post. Like you more or less say aub is not running anything new. Have you ever witnessed the Notre Dame Box Offense? Based on deception, but at the same time pulling guards and power running.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
At the end of hoe day it is the Jimmies and Joes, not the Xs and Os. However, it may take a while to find a consistent way to defend these offenses. It took the Wishbone over 10 years to loose some steam.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
At the end of hoe day it is the Jimmies and Joes, not the Xs and Os. However, it may take a while to find a consistent way to defend these offenses. It took the Wishbone over 10 years to loose some steam.

Our jimmy and joe's were more talented than Auburn's. Gus nullified the talent difference with his scheme. When's the last time you can say a one dimensional offense gashed Bama's defense?

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
It's stopped by "Bend, don't break" defense. It's Back to the Future. We haven't played this type ball since Perkins. When you play attack defense, all your instincts are wrong. You CAN'T play "help" defense; you MUST play your assignment and stay home. You must be patient. You will give up yards and first downs but if you're tough, you will stop them and when they get behind, they'll have to throw. Then you have them.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My opinion LSU has it figured out. The play a base defense because they know they have better athletes than the boogs. They say beat us if you think you can.

I think we get too fancy sometimes and overthink it. I think way to defend them is be simpler and let our kids make plays.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As with any offense. However, the more options and threats the better.
As long as Nick Saban is here you won't ever see the type offense you think we need to run. We've won 3 national titles with the type offense he likes to run and I doubt he changes to a HUNH spread option. We're currently not even recruiting that style quarterback.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
My opinion LSU has it figured out. The play a base defense because they know they have better athletes than the boogs. They say beat us if you think you can.

I think we get too fancy sometimes and overthink it. I think way to defend them is be simpler and let our kids make plays.
I agree 100%. We definitely need to simplify our defense and allow our athletes to make plays. We still must be disciplined, players must not lose containment and much like kick coverage you cannot lose your lane assignment but I think a straight-up man-on-man defense might be best against this type of offense. I'm not convinced that a smaller, faster defensive line is the answer. I actually think that works better against a passing team but not necessarily against what AU does. We still need the big run cloggers in the middle to shutdown the inside running game. Once that is stopped you force them to the outside where you will need smaller, faster guys to string the play to the sideline. Then you need DB's to play man-to-man and not lose their coverage. You will have some busted assignments and you will give up some points but I think this approach might be the best way to go. I'm not a football coach but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
As long as Nick Saban is here you won't ever see the type offense you think we need to run. We've won 3 national titles with the type offense he likes to run and I doubt he changes to a HUNH spread option. We're currently not even recruiting that style quarterback.
Alabama has superior talent and can play keep away most days and win. No problem with that. Not the best offense, though.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Call a holding penalty every now and then. At least they were called for holding a couple of times tonight. I don't think they called a holding penalty the whole game against us. Any team can be successful running when you hold every play.
i mainly think we need a big NG and DE's that can hold the LOS. Cody was probably the biggest key in stopping the inside run. We don't have a true dominant NG. ivory, Lake, and our DE's were consistently pushed back. Of course, we need quick DL to play teams like aTm and chase down running QB's.
the key is stopping them on 1st down and getting them into passing situations. Marshall will make mistakes if you make him throw enough. We couldn't ever stop them on 1st downs because we couldn't substitute.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Georgia Tech tore up their conference 2 years running, winning the ACC title in the process, when Paul Johnson came in with his flexbone offense. The entire ACC has them figured out now, as does Georgia, and they are lucky to win 8 games, but more like 6. Auburn will go the same way. With an entire year of film to study over the summer, plus the revenge factor, I am confident our staff will keep Auburn well below that 296yds rushing they put on us this year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.