Gary and Verne

RdunawayTX

3rd Team
Sep 24, 2011
I have to say the worst announcers this year were the pair that called the Bama/UT-Chattanooga game. Were those a couple of UA students?

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I agree with the earlier posts about Verne and Gary leaning towards the team who is winning or has the most to gain with the victory. This can get annoying especially when they seem to be cheering for our opponent or in today's case Auburn. If Brando replaces Verne, we will long to hear "how do you do" again, lol...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I have to say the worst announcers this year were the pair that called the Bama/UT-Chattanooga game. Were those a couple of UA students?
It was Tyler Watts and Chris Stewart wasn't it? They are one reason I refuse to buy PPV games. That, and the quality of Bama PPV games are bad. We can do better .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RdunawayTX

3rd Team
Sep 24, 2011
It was Tyler Watts and Chris Stewart wasn't it? They are one reason I refuse to buy PPV games. That, and the quality of Bama PPV games are bad. We can do better .

Ahaha. Now I understand. I never got the names of the announcers. I get all the games with my DirectTV college football package. So any D1 game I want to see....I see.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Nessler. I think V&D just jump on the offensive bandwagon. If Verne retires, next in line is Brando, and anyone who's followed Brando's interviews, tweets (especially!) and articles knows exactly how he feels about Bama. IOW, careful what you wish for...
I will not listen to Brando call a Bama game. I'll figure out how to sync Eli to my muted tv.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
^^This. I like Gus Johnson and Charles Davis on Fox. Davis gives great analysis and Gus Johnson is great especially in close games.

I'm watching the OSU/MSU game on Fox and I am actually impressed with the announcers and the overall Fox broadcast. I guess I haven't watched a game on Fox in awhile so they are better than I remember.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
Can you provide an example of this?
I believe it was the 2012 Tennesse game. They were talking about McCullers was with Alabama and let go. It was going to be a personal game for McCullers. Verne and Gary said what Coach does is shady and cheats with the roster. I may not be quoting them exactly but I know and remember what they said. I was stunned and never forgot that. If I am wrong, then I am wrong but that is how I took what they both said.

RMRJMR

Scout Team
Dec 29, 2008
Madison, AL
I just wish the SEC could get at from CBS altogether. I too believe Gary and Verne are bias towards some teams and Auburn is one of those teams. Just glad that I am at most Bama games so I don't have to listen to them.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I believe it was the 2012 Tennesse game. They were talking about McCullers was with Alabama and let go. It was going to be a personal game for McCullers. Verne and Gary said what Coach does is shady and cheats with the roster. I may not be quoting them exactly but I know and remember what they said. I was stunned and never forgot that. If I am wrong, then I am wrong but that is how I took what they both said.
Gary has done a weekly spot on Birmingham radio for years now, and never once has he insinuated that Saban cheats.

Bamabus Collins

Suspended
Jan 7, 2008
I had them muted most of the time. They are so bad, I basically can't stand to listen to them any more. What little I did turn the volume up, it was a pathetic display of homerism.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I do remember some remark being made about rosters. I dismissed it, since everyone was saying it anyway, although it wasn't true...

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
You know, I never looked at it that way - but you know, you have a valid point.
It is a valid point. The problem is, many wear their Crimson glasses and cannot stand to hear a negative point in regards to Alabama. Therefore they brand the announcers a Bama hater and are prejudiced about anything they hear from that announcer from then on. Offensive centric games hook watchers that don't have a personal interest in a game. It's good TV, so a good announcer will play that up, understandably so. Some fans mistakenly thinks that if they're not for Bama, they're against us, which isn't remotely true. The internet is co-dependent to a mob mentality of hatred against any announcer or team that can become your target of hatred. IMO the internet is the worst thing that has ever happened to college football, because it gives the fringe, radical haters a voice which effects all participants opinions.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.