Your Opinions about the HUNH?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My biggest problem is that the refs begin to play into the 'hurry up' part and begin to become part of the speed part and actually running to get the ball set. But only for the team running the HUNH. The refs should operate at the second tempo for both teams, period.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
I don't know any active refs, but I've known a couple of them in the past, and, believe me, they wouldn't have had what it takes to keep up with these offenses...

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
It's my opinion that to combat the HUNH, the defense should hit the quarterback every single play. Because he pretends to have the ball, it is permitted within the rules as he becomes either a decoy or a potential blocker. So I say blow him up on every snap. This would go a ways towards dissuading teams from employing it.

CrimsonSnake

3rd Team
Aug 21, 2002
Huntsville, ALABAMA, USA
One way to combat the HUNH is to hit the quarterback every single play. Because he pretends to have the ball, it is permitted within the rules as he becomes either a decoy or a potential blocker. So I say blow him up on every snap. This would go a ways towards dissuading teams from employing it.
The old wishbone defense in another form.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
It's my opinion that to combat the HUNH, the defense should hit the quarterback every single play. Because he pretends to have the ball, it is permitted within the rules as he becomes either a decoy or a potential blocker. So I say blow him up on every snap. This would go a ways towards dissuading teams from employing it.
He hit em hard, often, and legally every play. Help him up and say, "See you soon." Walk calmly away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
also, if you can ever stomach watching a pac-12 game, pay attention to how much the o line moves after they are "set".
This, and other bending or flat out breaking of the rules of the game are what troubles me about this offense, and especially the Barn's version of it. Forget the gimmicky stuff (that double huddle break is so middle school, it's embarrassing, and often results in illegal formations); others have mentioned the officiating issues and I'll add wide receivers holding on the perimeters constantly and ineligible receivers downfield. If you call this on pro-set teams, you have to be vigilant on HUNH teams as well.

I like the post that encouraged tape study for officials, so it isn't subject to game speed, and I do hope coaches like Saban and Beilema are making a case of this.

And yeah, part of it is sour grapes. I won't deny it.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Every rule change that has happened due to balance play btw offense and defense, eliminate an wanted competitive advantage, or improve player safety. Someone had to raise the issue for it to result in change. I don't perceive this discussion as sour grapes at all.

Gus's opinion of building an offense around "its not a penalty unless its called" undermines the fundamentals of the game. And that should be protected above all.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Every rule change that has happened due to balance play btw offense and defense, eliminate an wanted competitive advantage, or improve player safety. Someone had to raise the issue for it to result in change. I don't perceive this discussion as sour grapes at all.

Gus's opinion of building an offense around "its not a penalty unless its called" undermines the fundamentals of the game. And that should be protected above all.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk
"Integrity."

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Although impressive so far, I still call Gus's simple high school offense the "All Your Eggs In One Basket" offense. If something happens to Tre Mason, they'll struggle to get 150 yards of total offense in a game against a good defense.

But my HS (Mountain Brook) ran this same offense when I played back in the early 80's. We used it because we didn't have quite the athletes as the other teams back then. Same reason Gus is using it now. You use as much smoke and mirrors as you can to get that extra half of a second to get to the second level of a defense since that's your only hope to compete. Auburn is using it very well.

venegoni

Scout Team
Mar 18, 2007
Just a repackaged Notre Dame box or wishbone. Walter Welborn ran this for years with much success.

Like an earlier poster said, have someone take the qb every play and hit him hard.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
I guess my fundamental problem, in a nutshell, is that you're effectively trying to majorly limit or eliminate major portions of the game: namely player substitution and defensive playcalling. How would people feel if the same were somehow accomplished on the offensive side of the ball? What if you couldn't change your offensive personnel or could only make limited adjustments on offense to match the defense? What if, as a result, nearly every game were a low-scoring affair? My guess is that people wouldn't be quite so supportive and would be calling for a major rule change. Why? Because people are shallow. It's the same reason people called the regular season game against LSU two years ago a snore fest and why they like watching West Coast QB play. For some reason, people just like gimmicky, fast-paced, and high-scoring offenses.

Me? I like a chess match between two teams and two coaches. To my mind, the HUNH is like playing chess, but taking away half your opponent's pieces. Sure, in this case it's legal, but I just question whether it's truly good for the game.

Like I said though, I doubt it's going away anytime soon, so you either adapt to it, or you lose. It is what it is.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Interesting that au has a commitment from Rivals #8 rated 4 star pro style QB in the 2014 class. Seems strange that type QB would be recruited for Malzahn's offense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Interesting that au has a commitment from Rivals #8 rated 4 star pro style QB in the 2014 class. Seems strange that type QB would be recruited for Malzahn's offense.
Jeremy Johnson isn't nearly the runner Nick Marshall is. He's more of a passer. He can run if he needs to, but he's more of a passer.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
The Big 12 experimented with an extra on field official in conference games because of their offenses. I'm guessing the NCAA will look at that and decide if it will become permanent for all games.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I have no problem with the offense...it is spectacular when you have a QB with the athletic ability of Nick Marshall, a great OL, and short, fast, and strong RB's who can run inside. I am not an AU fan by any stretch, but you have to take your hat off to CGM. Miracles or not, he took what we all thought was a mediocre team and performed literal miracles.

There may be 100 points scored in the National Championship Game...I don't see AU stopping FSU -- and until someone does it at this stage I don't see FSU stopping AU.
Even my wife commented on how boring the SEC championship game was. The total lack of defense made for a boring game of what I considered poor football play.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I think it is fine as far as gimmicks go but I do think they have to stop facilitating the snap and letting the game go faster than the refs can monitor legal play. There seems to be a lot of stuff not getting called in the name of getting the ball set quickly and getting out of the way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.