If we were in 2014 - consider the match ups

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
We would be playing Auburn possibly in the semi finals. Next year will certainly be interesting though there will be a bias against any SEC team that has not won the SEC championship for sure.

FSU vs Stanford in semis as well

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
the teams are decided by a committee and not rankings. i think we would still be left out. it doesn't matter what we think or what is true. they will pick teams they want in it.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
the teams are decided by a committee and not rankings. i think we would still be left out. it doesn't matter what we think or what is true. they will pick teams they want in it.
Goodness, I hope that's not going to be the case. If you are correct, I may have to find something else to do on fall Saturdays.

uafootball92

1st Team
Sep 21, 2005
St. Charles, Missouri
It's not strictly "what they want". It's not like back in the day choosing a lesser Notre Dame team over undefeated Alabama for NC (1966). They may take an "other conference" #5 team if it was close or tight between #4 and #5 if #4 were the 2nd from a conference. However, in this year's scenario. I would say #1 FSU v. #4 Stanford and #2 Auburn v. #3 Alabama. No way a 1-loss Alabama on a last second play gets left out.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It's not strictly "what they want". It's not like back in the day choosing a lesser Notre Dame team over undefeated Alabama for NC (1966). They may take an "other conference" #5 team if it was close or tight between #4 and #5 if #4 were the 2nd from a conference. However, in this year's scenario. I would say #1 FSU v. #4 Stanford and #2 Auburn v. #3 Alabama. No way a 1-loss Alabama on a last second play gets left out.

i wish i had you optimism. I just don't trust a committee. 2 loss Stanford over Baylor or Michigan State?

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
We would be playing Auburn possibly in the semi finals. Next year will certainly be interesting though there will be a bias against any SEC team that has not won the SEC championship for sure.

You are assuming the barn has another year like this one. I don't think they do.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I really do think Alabama, or any other team in the SEC, would be left out. I believe we should keep the BCS for the selection of the four teams and not interject a stronger human element because a team like Michigan State would be taken over Alabama. Probably would not happen if this year were next only because of how this year's loss went down but this year was exceptional in that regard. That is my concern about a committee.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
IMO Bama would be left out. You'd basically have four one loss teams (AU,MSU,Baylor,and Bama) for three spots. They're all conference champs except us. In this day and age of "every game is on tv", one of the main goals will be to put as many people in front of tv's as possible. How do the ptb pacify the network that paid millions to broadcast this playoff? By providing entertaining games with nation wide appeal if at all possible, and a possible all SEC rematch ain't it.

Unless it's just "cut and dried" you'll seldom if ever get two teams in from the same conference, particularly the SEC. Now it's going to be about "entertainment value", quality of football will be further down on the list of priorities. A couple of years ago during the Bama/Okie St. debate, I read an article where over 60% of people surveyed said they wanted to see Okie St. play LSU, but over 80% thought Bama had the better team. We made it...just barely, and a lot of folks didn't like it. So now we have a "committee" with new criteria to avoid an unwanted situation.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
IMO Bama would be left out. You'd basically have four one loss teams (AU,MSU,Baylor,and Bama) for three spots. They're all conference champs except us. In this day and age of "every game is on tv", one of the main goals will be to put as many people in front of tv's as possible. How do the ptb pacify the network that paid millions to broadcast this playoff? By providing entertaining games with nation wide appeal if at all possible, and a possible all SEC rematch ain't it.

Unless it's just "cut and dried" you'll seldom if ever get two teams in from the same conference, particularly the SEC. Now it's going to be about "entertainment value", quality of football will be further down on the list of priorities. A couple of years ago during the Bama/Okie St. debate, I read an article where over 60% of people surveyed said they wanted to see Okie St. play LSU, but over 80% thought Bama had the better team. We made it...just barely, and a lot of folks didn't like it. So now we have a "committee" with new criteria to avoid an unwanted situation.
Exactly. Sigh. This is my main concern. So for the SEC teams, a committee is not a game changer. We win we are in and lose we are out. I think ESPN has glammed up the pros of a "playoff" but those that remember the pre BCS days.....we know better. Reality will bite.

venegoni

Scout Team
Mar 18, 2007
If we truely are the best team we have to stop losing to inferior opponents and win the SEC. That would end all this crying over getting left out.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
It will come as a big shock to some fan base next year when they finish the season #3 or #4 and are NOT selected by the playoff committee. There are still many who seem to think it will be the top 4 ranked teams. If that were the case, there would not be a committee.

I don't care what the committee's 'mission statement', or whatever-they-call-it says, they will not bracket the teams to allow two teams from the same conference to make it to the finals.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
It will come as a big shock to some fan base next year when they finish the season #3 or #4 and are NOT selected by the playoff committee. There are still many who seem to think it will be the top 4 ranked teams. If that were the case, there would not be a committee.

I don't care what the committee's 'mission statement', or whatever-they-call-it says, they will not bracket the teams to allow two teams from the same conference to make it to the finals.

It's just that simple. That's the whole reason for having the committee.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

No, if things were done like they should have been done concerning who the four teams are that get to play, then we would be playing AU. However, this stupid committee would probably select Baylor and Michigan St. since they won their conferences. I am guessing those would be the four teams playing for the title, and we would still be on the outside looking in. Of course, the argument could be made that we had our chance and choked it away against AU, which is the same thing that happened to us anyway.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.