Oregon over Oklahoma please (NOPE!)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If bowl committees were about the game instead of making sure that all their business ventures in lodging, food services, and bars have a banner week then we'd get this game. Instead, we're going to get an OU team who probably doesn't even think they deserve a BCS bid.

Furthermore, it is an absolute joke that the Big-12 could end up with two bids. That is the worst real AQ conference (not counting the AAC) while the Pac-12 is the best outside the SEC. Do the right thing Sugar Bowl Committee.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed
Re: Oregon over Oklahoma please

If bowl committees were about the game instead of making sure that all their business ventures in lodging, food services, and bars have a banner week then we'd get this game. Instead, we're going to get an OU team who probably doesn't even think they deserve a BCS bid.

Furthermore, it is an absolute joke that the Big-12 could end up with two bids. That is the worst real AQ conference (not counting the AAC) while the Pac-12 is the best outside the SEC. Do the right thing Sugar Bowl Committee.
Oklahoma is boring, no one wants to see them.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

We pull another stunt like we did against Utah and OU is capable of beating us.

Last edited:

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL

I'd prefer Oregon but Bama-Oklahoma is a big-time matchup. And as others have said, we owe them for 2002 and 2003!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Looks like OU will be without qb Trevor Knight for the bowl game. He separated his left( non-throwing) shoulder in Saturday's game against Okie State. That means we wil probably face them with Blake Bell under center, who has had his moments but does not have the skill set that Knight does and has also been very erratic at times.

Hopefully we can even this series up and scratch OU off that list of teams with whom we have scores to settle.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I'd still rather play Oregon. This isn't 2004, playing Oklahoma doesn't have the same resonance as playing Oregon. No offense to our Oklahoma friends who pass by here at all. I'd rather attend or watch Alabama play Oregon.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I am fine with playing Oklahoma :)
We'll get to compare Stoops' in-season comments about the SEC with his postgame comments.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I guess, in the end, while I think an win over Oregon would get more attention...an Alabama loss at all has resonance, so I'll get behind whatever team we're facing.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

You all have to put up with the SEC/Big 12 tie in in the Sugar Bowl from now on. Why not take the chance to play a team you'll probably never meet on the field otherwise from a conference you rarely face?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

That is another thing that factors here. There is a business relationship developing with the Big-12 and the Sugar Bowl. It is absolutely wrong for the Pac-12 to not get two bids but after the #1-#2 and any anti-trust avoidance rules (non-AQ rules)...it is all about the business interests between the conferences and bowl committees and the local economy of the bowl site.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

That is another thing that factors here. There is a business relationship developing with the Big-12 and the Sugar Bowl. It is absolutely wrong for the Pac-12 to not get two bids but after the #1-#2 and any anti-trust avoidance rules (non-AQ rules)...it is all about the business interests between the conferences and bowl committees and the local economy of the bowl site.
I wonder how they're going to justify choosing a boring matchup that has no national interest whatsoever, made to satisfy business interests (no offense to you, your team is not the boring one) over one that many have wanted to see now for several years and that would have some considerably more national hype.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

ESPN could press selection rule 5D to induce an Oregon selection but seeing how their mouthpieces are already speaking the Bama-Oklahoma word I am not optimistic. Rule 5d states that the BCS, committees, and ESPN can modify the selections for the best interest of the product.

The reality is that the BCS has gotten really good at giving us nothing but a championship game to watch each year. The television value and true fan interest in these non-championship games have been so poor overall recently. Non-BCS games have provided more interesting matchups than the BCS quite a bit too often for being "top tier bowls."

If bowl system was really about the football product first, we'd get Oregon. Since it is about almost every single thing other than the game first, we're getting a undeserved 2nd bid to the Big-12.

oregonbltzkrieg

1st Team
Sep 17, 2013
Ducks at Warp Speed

ESPN could press selection rule 5D to induce an Oregon selection but seeing how their mouthpieces are already speaking the Bama-Oklahoma word I am not optimistic. Rule 5d states that the BCS, committees, and ESPN can modify the selections for the best interest of the product.

The reality is that the BCS has gotten really good at giving us nothing but a championship game to watch each year. The television value and true fan interest in these non-championship games have been so poor overall recently. Non-BCS games have provided more interesting matchups than the BCS quite a bit too often for being "top tier bowls."

If bowl system was really about the football product first, we'd get Oregon. Since it is about almost every single thing other than the game first, we're getting a undeserved 2nd bid to the Big-12.
I hope you're wrong. I guess we'll see tomorrow. How many Bama fans would stay at home and not go to the Sugar Bowl due to the sheer boredom from drawing Oklahoma as the opponent?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

It does us no favor with the committees to snooze the game. I wish there was some way we could make greater logic prevail.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

Perhaps playing Oregon will help us get better prepared for HUNH offenses. I am hearing we need to be better disciplined to be able to succeed against the HUNH. What better way to prepare and paly it in a bowl game?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.