My guess on next years Sec and top ten rankings

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
At the risk of demonstrating my ignorance even more clearly, what difference does it make where you are ranked at the start of the season?

If Auburn where 1 and Bama say something silly like 10, wouldn't that change as soon as actual game results started to come in?

* Yes it's genuine question.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
At the risk of demonstrating my ignorance even more clearly, what difference does it make where you are ranked at the start of the season?
We have a rather flawed system for determining a champion in this sport. There are times when a deserving team may, like our Auburn team in 2004, be unable to play for the championship due to having been ranked too low to start the season. The championship game is played on the field, but who gets to go is subjective. We're going this year, but a lot of things beyond our control had to happen for that to occur.

If Auburn where 1 and Bama say something silly like 10, wouldn't that change as soon as actual game results started to come in?
Early on, yes. There will tend to be a lot of movement in the polls. Number 1 and number 2 will typically not drop unless they lose, though. There has been some effort to rectify this by delaying the release of some polls until later in the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.