More on DJ Pettway

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I believe he was simply in the car while Eddie Williams beat the kid up. Still an accomplice, but not the aggressor. Maybe DJ didn't know what Eddie was going to do. I don't know. Regardless, his ability on the field should not be a factor in this decision. It should all be about trying to make things right and changing behavior. No one does that better than Saban.
This reminds me a lot of the David Palmer situation. He was allowed to stay on the team because Stallings knew Palmer might end up dead had he not some positive influence around him. Given that Palmer's doing and selling drugs is not an assault, but you can draw some comparisons.
The only reason that I think it might be considered is some variation of this set of facts. I can certainly see if DJ was sitting in the backseat of a car and all of sudden or someone says "Pull over" and gets out of the car and assaults someone while DJ is still sitting in the car then I could see where you MIGHT consider letting him return to the team. But that is the barest of scenarios that I would even consider imo. But that's not how I remember things going down...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I believe he was simply in the car while Eddie Williams beat the kid up. Still an accomplice, but not the aggressor. Maybe DJ didn't know what Eddie was going to do. I don't know. Regardless, his ability on the field should not be a factor in this decision. It should all be about trying to make things right and changing behavior. No one does that better than Saban.
This reminds me a lot of the David Palmer situation. He was allowed to stay on the team because Stallings knew Palmer might end up dead had he not some positive influence around him. Given that Palmer's doing and selling drugs is not an assault, but you can draw some comparisons.
Maybe my memory fails me but I thought Palmer got in trouble because of a DUI not selling or taking drugs. I believe you are thinking of Sherman Williams.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I think since Jaran Reed and DJ have played together for the last year, there will be a certain comfort level and trust that they can depend on each other to do their jobs. Similar to the chemistry a QB and WR or other OL need to have, DL develop chemistry as well. If DJ does come back, I expect Jaran and DJ to be on the field together a lot. Besides, players who have initials with a "J" have done pretty well. AJ, CJ, DJ, BJ etc.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.