More on DJ Pettway

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Mods, please feel free to add this to the original thread if you choose.

More from Pettway and his coach. All signs pointing to a return trip to Tuscaloosa.

Here

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
It sure looks like DJ has been doing everything he should be doing to earn an offer back on the team. I actually hopes he gets to come back. I know most have an opposing view, but he'll be playing somewhere and I'd rather not play against him. I think he will be a big impact wherever he plays. Who knows if he would have made a difference in the Iron bowl, but our DL definitely got exposed. We needed more experience and depth. He might have been a starter had he not got caught up with some bad influences.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
If he comes back, I guess some of the chatter on this board about other teams taking in players that have been kicked out of other schools for criminal activity seems pretty hypocritical.

Whatever the decision, I hope the kid has changed and I hope Saban makes the right call.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Mods, please feel free to add this to the original thread if you choose.

More from Pettway and his coach. All signs pointing to a return trip to Tuscaloosa.

Here
It's true, he's a 100% coming back to Bama. I asked DJ myself and he told me I would hear more about it soon....well this article comes out 5 days after i asked him LOL. As long as he took care of what he needed to do and can prove himself to be trusted by the coaching staff again, then I'm all for him playing again because he was a good player as a freshman.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
What happened with him was a huge learning experience and I hope and pray that he learned a tremendous life lesson from this. He won't get another second chance like this in 3 lifetimes. It's time to pay it forward, DJ!! Use your Blessings to help other people!!

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
If he comes back, I guess some of the chatter on this board about other teams taking in players that have been kicked out of other schools for criminal activity seems pretty hypocritical..
Clearly you haven't been around college football message boards enough. Here's a simple flowchart to show you what you're supposed to think. ;)

A kid with a criminal incident in his past has joined a football team.

1. Is this a rival team?

if so, please type: "He'll fit in over there."

2. Is this your team?

if so, please type: "Everyone deserves second chances. Kids make mistakes. If anyone can rehabilitate him it's [insert name of your coach here]."

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm so happy for DJ.

Coach Saban would not bring him back if this kid was a cancer.
Let me preface this with the fact that Auburn was a documented house of fail and corruption under Chizick and everything bad ever said about them was more or less on target.

However, I'll admit that I was a little too sure that Cam Newton's abysmal "character" issues would come back to haunt Auburn and it did not, then I felt it would haunt Carolina. It remains to be seen if Newton's character issues will re-surface but at this point you simly have to admit that Newton has kept his nose clean and continued to improve as a player and he has Carolina in a position to compete in the playoffs. Clearly 20 year old men can make TERRIBLE decisions and afterwards have no real explanation as to why. Some of them are bad seeds and will probably poison everyone they are near but some of them are just good kids who made a really DUMB decision. I hope DJ Pettway is the latter no matter where he ends up.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he comes back, I guess some of the chatter on this board about other teams taking in players that have been kicked out of other schools for criminal activity seems pretty hypocritical.

Whatever the decision, I hope the kid has changed and I hope Saban makes the right call.
Sometimes it is hard not to judge others. I am struggling with the Winston case, for instance. But I always believe in second chances once a person has paid their debt - especially if that person is truly sorry and wants to learn.

As for casting stones at other schools - nothing unusual about that. We just have to remember that these are human beings.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Not really happy about the way this is going. He had his chance here, he blew it. I hold him no ill will, people deserve second chances, but there are consequences for poor judgement and I don't think he's really had any if he gets to slide right back in place. It's just my opinion, which, when combined with $2.22 will get you two twenty ounce Pepsi's from the store down the street.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Nothing definite here yet. He's got a window of opportunity to return, though, if he does everything on and off the field that we've required of him. Still nothing certain as to an outcome though.

Will add, though, that between his academic issues, his high school transfer, and all of that nonsense, we've probably done more to accommodate Pettway than anyone I can recall in recent memory. He's going to have to return and be a true high impact kid to justify all we've stood by him through...

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Nothing definite here yet. He's got a window of opportunity to return, though, if he does everything on and off the field that we've required of him. Still nothing certain as to an outcome though.

Will add, though, that between his academic issues, his high school transfer, and all of that nonsense, we've probably done more to accommodate Pettway than anyone I can recall in recent memory. He's going to have to return and be a true high impact kid to justify all we've stood by him through...
Wow. Makes you wonder. What is it about him that a program like Alabama would do that for? Coach Saban must have more than positive feelings here for some reason.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Wow. Makes you wonder. What is it about him that a program like Alabama would do that for? Coach Saban must have more than positive feelings here for some reason.
It's beyond me. I can't imagine Saban and company allowing personal feelings to impact a decision like that, and while you can certainly say he had upside, his two years in Tuscaloosa consisted of a redshirt season and a RS freshman season basically comprised of mop-up duty.

Again, he would have to have a tremendous on-field impact to make the ends justify the means...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
It's beyond me. I can't imagine Saban and company allowing personal feelings to impact a decision like that, and while you can certainly say he had upside, his two years in Tuscaloosa consisted of a redshirt season and a RS freshman season basically comprised of mop-up duty.

Again, he would have to have a tremendous on-field impact to make the ends justify the means...
Didn't he play at JC school this past season? Don't keep up with JC ball but if he did he may have blown up the JC teams and showed his potential to the staff. Of course he could be just the best available at his position for this recruiting year. :)

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Serious question. If a "normal" student did this, would that student be permanently banned or allowed a path back to the school?

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I'll trust Coach and the staff on this one. Everyone deserves a second chance, especially after serving their sentence. We shall see.......

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Didn't he play at JC school this past season? Don't keep up with JC ball but if he did he may have blown up the JC teams and showed his potential to the staff. Of course he could be just the best available at his position for this recruiting year. :)
10.5 sacks

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
I wonder if it has something to do with him being related to Antoine Pettway, Alabama's assistant basketball coach and former player. Remember, he is Antoine's cousin I believe.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.