More on DJ Pettway

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
We all made mistakes when we were younger. I believe in giving people a second chance if they have shown remorse for their actions and have learned from the experience.

Bama Fish 86-9

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2010
I can see both sides of this argument, and I am glad its CNS that has to make that decision. I wouldn't want to be the one to even bring this up.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Serious question. If a "normal" student did this, would that student be permanently banned or allowed a path back to the school?
It would depend on if the student was expelled or suspended. I would assume with the type of violent crime committed that the normal student would be expelled. It's my understanding that indefinite expulsions last longer than a year and require some major hurdles to get reinstated. I have a hard time believing your average student from Guntersville would be allowed to come back so quickly.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Do any of the court findings detail Pettway's role in the assaults? He was there, true. But do we know if he was an active participant, a bystander, or something in between?
It makes no difference to me if he threw the punch or kicks or not. He was an accomplice to multiple violent attacks on his fellow classmates.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
The kid can play. And he probably had as much to do with the win at LSU last year as that screen pass to win the game (watch the replay).

I have no qualms about him returning to the team. None whatsoever. He made a horribly bad decision, which, as crazy as it sounds, makes him human like the rest of us. What they were involved in was detestable. But that doesn't mean that it should end his life at that point. If he works hard to make amends, he deserves a second chance as much as anyone.

That's my stance on it. From reading this thread and the other ones, I know that there are many who won't agree. I can respect that. But this is my stance on it.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
It makes no difference to me if he threw the punch or kicks or not. He was an accomplice to multiple violent attacks on his fellow classmates.
My point is there has to be a reason the staff is open to his return and to none of the others, and it has nothing to do with 10.5 sacks.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
TheAccountant, Maybe your definition of mistake is very narrow. The word mistake also means to choose badly or to make a wrong judgment. DJ Pettway chose to associate with the wrong people and his judgment in being with people participating in a despicable act was terribly wrong. I believe in proper punishment under the law. He has been held accountable for his actions. I also believe in forgiveness.We don't know all the facts surrounding what happened. I will leave it up the school administration and the coaches to make the right decision.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA
If he comes back, I guess some of the chatter on this board about other teams taking in players that have been kicked out of other schools for criminal activity seems pretty hypocritical.

Whatever the decision, I hope the kid has changed and I hope Saban makes the right call.
The posters on this board will have absolutely nothing to do with whether he returns or not and I seriously doubt the people who do had anything to say about other teams taking players that have been kicked out of other schools.

The coaches and administration have a handle on what goes on at the Capstone.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Looks as though we got plenty on here who are ready to cast the first stone! ;) For all we know they have the most skeletons to hide but no way to judge that on the interweb. My guess though is that all of them are born again Jesus'! ;)

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
We'll see . Of the four players involved , Pettway was the only one who was extended an opportunity to return to the team back when all of it went down .

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I don't know what happened. I don't know if DJ had any issues before. The others may have been bad apples that drew DJ in and took him down with them. There's no doubt he took part in the crime. The coaching staff knows what these guys are like. We don't. From what I know about the situation, I'm going to have to trust Coach Saban to do what is right, cause I just don't know a lot of details about DJ and what he may have done to try and make amends.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Do any of the court findings detail Pettway's role in the assaults? He was there, true. But do we know if he was an active participant, a bystander, or something in between?
I believe he was simply in the car while Eddie Williams beat the kid up. Still an accomplice, but not the aggressor. Maybe DJ didn't know what Eddie was going to do. I don't know. Regardless, his ability on the field should not be a factor in this decision. It should all be about trying to make things right and changing behavior. No one does that better than Saban.
This reminds me a lot of the David Palmer situation. He was allowed to stay on the team because Stallings knew Palmer might end up dead had he not some positive influence around him. Given that Palmer's doing and selling drugs is not an assault, but you can draw some comparisons.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If he was convicted and paid his dues, then he deserves a second chance. If it was whitewashed and he didn't get any punishment, then I might question it.
He was there, so he was guilty, but not (sorry, that's the way I see it) as guilty as the ones who committed the violence (if, in fact, he did not). Regardless....punishment, showing a desire and the beginnings of change, a second chance is deserved.
I think CNS will do the right thing.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't think Coach Saban will touch him with a ten foot pole. It would set the wrong precedent and I think he knows that.
While I feel for DJ if he's really trying hard to make things right I just can't see him back in Tuscaloosa.

WsN

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 15, 2013
I don't think Coach Saban will touch him with a ten foot pole. It would set the wrong precedent and I think he knows that.
While I feel for DJ if he's really trying hard to make things right I just can't see him back in Tuscaloosa.[/QUOT
Sip, I normally agree with you, but I have a gut feeling that DJ will return to T-town.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
While I feel for DJ if he's really trying hard to make things right I just can't see him back in Tuscaloosa.[/QUOT
Sip, I normally agree with you, but I have a gut feeling that DJ will return to T-town.
Well, you may indeed be right. My biggest doubt is because of the nature of the crimes committed, even if he was just a by-stander.
I don't know any of the intricate details though and that will ultimately, in all probability be the determining factor.
I'll still be surprised though, if he returns.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While I feel for DJ if he's really trying hard to make things right I just can't see him back in Tuscaloosa.
Read DJ's statements in the OP's link. He says he talks to Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.