Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Last edited by a moderator:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The down side to the BCS and any playoffs are the lack of meaning to the bowl games. In my opinion the non championship bowl games are misunderstood. They are really more part of the NEXT season. The Michigan State game kicked off two of the most amazing years in Alabama history. With nothing on the line will Saban give some younger guys a chance to play? I hope so.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
The Sugar Bowl would be an excellent chance for Bama to reveal next years starting QB. AJ is gone to the pro's so why play him and risk him getting hurt? I would like to see as starters, Blake Sims and Luke Del Rio show out as well as one or two more. Good chance to show next years starters all across the field. Not like we're playing for a NC so why risk injury to any players about to turn pro. Would do worlds of good in terms of players getting experience in real games.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
The down side to the BCS and any playoffs are the lack of meaning to the bowl games. In my opinion the non championship bowl games are misunderstood. They are really more part of the NEXT season. The Michigan State game kicked off two of the most amazing years in Alabama history. With nothing on the line will Saban give some younger guys a chance to play? I hope so.
Bamaslammer, you beat me to the punch but we're thinking alike.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Not really happy that Jess is giving serious attention to the Texas rumors. Kind of makes me nervous, especially on this board.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I think slammer probably meant folks like Ragland, Foster, E. Jackson, Grant Hill, Tenpenny, Henry, Liner, etc. - not burning redshirts.
I don't think Del Rio is a red shirt and if he is, I doubt he will be here for a senior season. I thought I read on this site last year that the bowl games didn't count against a red shirt. I'm prolly wrong again.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I don't think Del Rio is a red shirt and if he is, I doubt he will be here for a senior season. I thought I read on this site last year that the bowl games didn't count against a red shirt. I'm prolly wrong again.
Del Rio is a red shirt and bowl games count - unlikely that we see him.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Living here in a Texas and I can tell you that there really isn't any buzz about Saban to Texas. All of that sort if petered out.

I hope the team is taking this game more serious than some of the fans. OU is not the barn or FSU and the Sugar ain't the NC but it is still a prestigious bowl. Plus OU is no joke. We should win big but you can't take the Sooners lightly. I am just happy that I get to see my Tide against a big time opponent one more time before the God awful long offseason.

Roll Tide & Go Noles!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I get to make my annual bowl comments: Too many crappy bowls with too many crappy teams. It seems to get worse each year. Outside the BCSC game, the Rose Bowl appears to be the only bowl, except the Sugar Bowl, worth watching.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I get to make my annual bowl comments: Too many crappy bowls with too many crappy teams. It seems to get worse each year. Outside the BCSC game, the Rose Bowl appears to be the only bowl, except the Sugar Bowl, worth watching.
Rose Bowl is easily the most interesting game on the entire bowl calender, and just about the only one where actual "football" will be played, or at least football like we used to know it...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Not really happy that Jess is giving serious attention to the Texas rumors. Kind of makes me nervous, especially on this board.
I think coach Saban would do like he did when he was coach at Miami and wait till after the season was over to even entertain an offer to leave but who knows. How did he leave LSU and Michigan State? Don't recall those two departures and how they happened so...

Anyways if he does wait that is a lot of time between now and then to get the contract signed and for recruiting sake I am sure others would point that out if he prolongs for very long. I just don't see a Franchony type situation with coach Saban at all but I guess time will tell. :)

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I think coach Saban would do like he did when he was coach at Miami and wait till after the season was over to even entertain an offer to leave but who knows. How did he leave LSU and Michigan State? Don't recall those two departures and how they happened so...

Anyways if he does wait that is a lot of time between now and then to get the contract signed and for recruiting sake I am sure others would point that out if he prolongs for very long. I just don't see a Franchony type situation with coach Saban at all but I guess time will tell. :)
IIRC, he left MSU after the last reg. season game and Bobby Williams coached the bowl game.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
I think the little bowls are great. Give teams that aren't football factories an opportunity to end the season on a high note.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Living here in a Texas and I can tell you that there really isn't any buzz about Saban to Texas. All of that sort if petered out.

I hope the team is taking this game more serious than some of the fans. OU is not the barn or FSU and the Sugar ain't the NC but it is still a prestigious bowl. Plus OU is no joke. We should win big but you can't take the Sooners lightly. I am just happy that I get to see my Tide against a big time opponent one more time before the God awful long offseason.

Roll Tide & Go Noles!
Just visit some of their web sites! They can't wait to bury Coach Brown and pay Nick $10+ mil a year until 2050.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.