Family secrets you never knew as a kid but found out as an adult.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As a kid there were a lot of things I had no clue about. I thought the little country neighborhood I grew up in was perfect, everybody got along and liked each other. It wasn't until I became an adult and long moved out of the neighborhood that at least four of the homes on our street had cheating spouses. I never knew that my dad (without knowing) helped one of the spouses lovers get his truck out of the ditch before the husband came home. Dad said he didn't realize what was going on until two days later suitcases were being thrown into the driveway by her soon to be ex husband. I never knew that the neighbor about eight houses up the street shot a .38 at another neighbor on the other end of the street with all of us kids playing in the yard. Dad had to go to court over that one. I never knew one of my uncles had cheated on my aunt for a big part of their marriage. They're still married to this day but I remember them coming out to the house on the weekends with my cousins. It was so much fun. We played, ran around and had a blast. Never did I ever think (as a kid) that my uncle would do anything like that. To be honest, at age 8 and 9 years old I didn't even know stuff like that happened.

But lord how becoming an adult removes the blinders you had as a child. Sometimes I wish I would have never found out stuff like that. :rolleyes:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
My great grandmother made a fortune running liquor during prohibition and may or may not have been a madame. She also practiced witchcraft. The liquor and withcraft are established fact. There's no hard evidence about the madame part, but supposedly, it was "common knowledge". She died at 94 and lived in a run-down shack as long as I knew her. I was shocked (SHOCKED, I tell you!) at all of the real estate that was part of her estate. It took my grandmother (her daughter) five or six years to sell it all. She knew about all of this, but nobody else but great grandma's attorney did.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
An ancestor of mine owned some gorgeous land adjoining the mountains in Marshall County, AL just north of AL. It's still there, but one has to don scuba gear & dive to the bottom of Lake Guntersville to see it.

(OK, that one's not as salacious as other family secrets in this thread.)

Turns out another ancestor had a wife & kids over in GA. Seems he got tired or bored or whatever, & moved himself to central AL sans wife & kids. Got married & sired more kids. I come from that 2nd batch. As one of my cousins said, "That explains a lot about us all, doesn't it?" :biggrin:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I think there's a fair amount of adultery, illegitimacy, drunkenness, bootlegging, cheating, murdering, etc. in most of our family trees. Mostly it comes down to how much of it you can uncover.

p.s. - that may or may not be a confession, but it's certainly not a denial. ;)

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I think there's a fair amount of adultery, illegitimacy, drunkenness, bootlegging, cheating, murdering, etc. in most of our family trees. Mostly it comes down to how much of it you can uncover.

Pretty well sums up things that I was eventually allowed to know. Plus, a man who took 'spare the rod' to the extreme with his 9 kids; and may be the root of the 'crazy' that runs on that side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

Too bad Facebook wasn't around back then.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I learned after my grandfather passed away that as a young man in Greene County - late teens maybe? - his little sister had been raped by a neighbor boy. Late at night, my grandfather, his brothers and their father (my great grandfather) went down to his house with shotguns and, well, he was never seen again. At least that was the family secret that my mother told me after he had gone - don't know if it was true.

My other grandfather was a Birmingham policeman during the 40s and 50s. Supposedly, he participated in racially-motivated lynchings. I never met him, because by the time I was born, he'd been sent to prison for trying to murder his wife, my grandmother. He only lived for a few years after his release and was forbidden to come anywhere near us.

I have a close relative who confided in me that in her 50s, she began an illicit affair with her cousin, also in his 50s. Ewwe.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
As a kid there were a lot of things I had no clue about. I thought the little country neighborhood I grew up in was perfect, everybody got along and liked each other. It wasn't until I became an adult and long moved out of the neighborhood that at least four of the homes on our street had cheating spouses. I never knew that my dad (without knowing) helped one of the spouses lovers get his truck out of the ditch before the husband came home. Dad said he didn't realize what was going on until two days later suitcases were being thrown into the driveway by her soon to be ex husband. I never knew that the neighbor about eight houses up the street shot a .38 at another neighbor on the other end of the street with all of us kids playing in the yard. Dad had to go to court over that one. I never knew one of my uncles had cheated on my aunt for a big part of their marriage. They're still married to this day but I remember them coming out to the house on the weekends with my cousins. It was so much fun. We played, ran around and had a blast. Never did I ever think (as a kid) that my uncle would do anything like that. To be honest, at age 8 and 9 years old I didn't even know stuff like that happened.

But lord how becoming an adult removes the blinders you had as a child. Sometimes I wish I would have never found out stuff like that. :rolleyes:
That is exactly what has happened to our country!!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
cousins that are not my cousins because their mother's were cheaters.

other cousins who are cousins don't know who their real fathers are.

and my family was very close to moving to Saudi Arabia for my dad to find a job.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
My great, great grandfather sired 53 kids that can be documented. He lived in Bankhead Forest between Double Springs and Moulton with one family and had other families in Mississippi and Tennessee. This past summer, I visited his grave for the first time, near Bankhead.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A cousin of mine gave birth to a baby fathered by her father (incest). Several years later when he was dozing from a drunk spree, she placed a pillow over his head and blew his head off with his shotgun. The local law enforcement knew but did not investigate.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It wasn't family but the most shocking thing I ever learned in life was finding out that an ex-girlfriend of mine was forced to have sex with her father from the ages of 11 to 17 (she was 21 when we met). I found this out from her nearly twenty years after we broke up.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
A cousin of mine gave birth to a baby fathered by her father (incest). Several years later when he was dozing from a drunk spree, she placed a pillow over his head and blew his head off with his shotgun. The local law enforcement knew but did not investigate.
Did this happen in Tallahasse?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.