An Outsiders View (with Crimson tinted spectacles).

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Greetings from Glasgow (the original one in Scotland).

I’ll start with a short introduction and then roll on to a series of questions that will no doubt illustrate my limited outsider’s knowledge of College football. My apologies in advance for such a long first post.

I started watching college football for the first time this year via the British version of ESPN which comes free with my cable package. I must admit I’ve gotten quite into it and I regularly watch the games in the small hours (our time) of Thu/Fri/Sat and Sun mornings. I also took the time to watch a couple of the ESPN 30/30 specials, the second of which was “Roll Tide War Eagle”. Having seen that and viewing the standings I was eagerly awaiting the Iron Bowl when it came around on the schedule. I have to be honest here, my first love is football (soccer to you), and I come from the Blue half of Glasgow, therefore having seen the Roll Tide War Eagle film I expected to be rooting for Auburn given that Blue and Orange are two colours strongly associated with my own team and if I’m honest my dislike of Harvey Updyke in the 30/30 film. However come game time it didn’t take me too long to realise that I was actually wanting Bama to win and I have been surprised just how disappointed I was at the result and even more so that the disappointment has stayed with me for as long as it has.

So I now find myself a Bama fan, eagerly awaiting next year and with the prospect of a consolation prize bowl win not really being sufficient to distract me from the let-down of not getting to see Bama in the NCS live (I watched the full Notre Dame game from last year on you-tube).

So that was my short (lol) introduction, now to my questions….

The whole national ranking situation, can someone please explain to me what that is all about? It seems crazy to me looking in from outside that opinion plays such a prominent role is deciding which two teams will play off for the title of National Champions. Especially so given the American desire to have a winner and loser in every game. Opinion to me is similar to judge’s interpretation and as such detracts from activities being seen as genuine sports. College football is a true sport, its simple, score more points than your opponents and you win, score less and you lose, simple? Surely!

Strength of schedule, again I cannot understand why this is a factor, all you can do is beat what is put in front of you, how can you be downgraded based on how good or bad your opposition is when you have won all of your games? To illustrate this, I assume we all agree that Bama are a better team player for player than the Buckeyes. Now if all the personnel remained exactly the same in both teams but the teams were swapped in conference and both went the entire season perfect, should the Buckeyes get to the NCG ahead of Bama because they played better opposition?

I think there’s something like 126 senior college teams? I think the limit for games a season has to be around 14? Now why can’t there be a 9 game regular season and a 32 team straight knock out playoff system. Alternatively it could be a 10 game regular season with a 16 team straight knock out system. All teams would play out all there games and then there would be a final 1-16 or 1-32 national standings based on actual results and not opinion and no one would suffer based on the perception of their opposition.

Finally, thank god I can hear you say from here, with the money involved in college football, why can the players not benefit from it in some way? I don’t know what percentage of this Bama team will go on to the NFL, however for those that don’t should they not have made something personally from the entertainment they have provided. Even if it was a set national rate for every player, I find it difficult to accept they get nothing (at least they are supposed to get nothing) when the game generates so much money.

Roll Tide / Aye Ready.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With this may college football teams, not every win or loss is equal. Like it or not, some teams are just better. If a team faces 5 or 6 great teams and wins all but one of those games, that is far more impressive than winning every game without having faced a tough opponent. My Buckeyes are a great example of that this year. We faced one tough opponent in 2013 - we lost. No one can argue that our 12-1 season equates with Auburn's 12-1 season, even if so many of their wins were by the skin of their teeth.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Kinda like one year when I was in Glasgow I went to see St Miren play celtic, St Miren won, which in this case wasn't a big deal, for celtic because they still won the Scottish league, where in college football we at present have only the BCS NC game, so a lost can knock you out, I think we will go to a 8 team playoff later. To understand college football and playoffs you have to understand bowl's.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
B1GTide, I agree with what you say however Ohio State has no control over the opposition they face. They play what is perceived to be (and probably is) a weaker schedule, but there isn't a thing they can do to change that.

If there was a multiple team knockout system at the end of an 'in conference' only regular season schedule and they then drew a team from the SEC and got skelped (Scottish word? = get their backsides handed to them on a plate) then at least they would know they didn't measure up.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
B1GTide, I agree with what you say however Ohio State has no control over the opposition they face. They play what is perceived to be (and probably is) a weaker schedule, but there isn't a thing they can do to change that.

If there was a multiple team knockout system at the end of an 'in conference' only regular season schedule and they then drew a team from the SEC and got skelped (Scottish word? = get their backsides handed to them on a plate) then at least they would know they didn't measure up.
We do have some control, as we also have OOC games every year. Weaker conferences have a chance to make up their week conference schedules by scheduling tougher OOC opponents.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Kinda like one year when I was in Glasgow I went to see St Miren play celtic, St Miren won, which in this case wasn't a big deal, for celtic because they still won the Scottish league, where in college football we at present have only the BCS NC game, so a lost can knock you out, I think we will go to a 8 team playoff later. To understand college football and playoffs you have to understand bowl's.
I don't have a handle on the bowl system and I didn't delve too deep as it changes next year, even then though I believe perception will still play a major roll (tide roll).

Are you ExPat or of Scottish decent TPF?

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
To be honest a lot of things in college football makes no sense. A huge playoff system would be great but there is too much money tied into the bowls.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
A 16 team playoff with a reduction in regular season games and no conference championship would seem the way to go but conferences aren't going to want to give those extra games or conference championships up. fàilte RTR!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
cool post.

College football is crazy it's hard to explain.

OSU should be playing FSU for the title this year in my view, if you are gonna lose a game & most do, then do it early & it don't hurt as much.

Dont watch stuff like Rollties/WarEagle it's not a representation of either fan base & based on the rumblings of a true nut.

Just watch Alabama next year & you will see a very motivated bunch going after another Championship & follow Tidefans, we a have a lot of folks that really know football.

UA All the Way

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2005
Las Vegas
I'm just posting to say welcome to this board. And also glad to have another Bama fan. Roll Tide!

/maybe you can return the favor and explain how soccer works since most of us are probably lost. haha.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
cool post.

College football is crazy it's hard to explain.

OSU should be playing FSU for the title this year in my view, if you are gonna lose a game & most do, then do it early & it don't hurt as much.

Dont watch stuff like Rollties/WarEagle it's not a representation of either fan base & based on the rumblings of a true nut.

Just watch Alabama next year & you will see a very motivated bunch going after another Championship & follow Tidefans, we a have a lot of folks that really know football.
I'm a Bama fan now, once my mind is set it doesn't change.

I've followed the Dallas Cowboys since '81. The Atlanta Braves since the first year they started showing Baseball on UK terrestrial TV. The Leaf's in Ice Hockey and the Pistons in the NBA :D.

I enjoyed RTWE but assumed it to be illustrating the extremes. Interestingly enough, I thought that whilst Vincent 'Bo' Jackson came over as a genuinely nice guy, Charles Barclay came across quite the opposite in the film.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I'm a Bama fan now, once my mind is set it doesn't change.

I've followed the Dallas Cowboys since '81. The Atlanta Braves since the first year they started showing Baseball on UK terrestrial TV. The Leaf's in Ice Hockey and the Pistons in the NBA :D.

I enjoyed RTWE but assumed it to be illustrating the extremes. Interestingly enough, I thought that whilst Vincent 'Bo' Jackson came over as a genuinely nice guy, Charles Barclay came across quite the opposite in the film.
Actually, Barkley is pretty cool I think, he says what he thinks for sure.

I lived in Atlanta early 80's would pay $10 to park, $5 general admission & sit behind home plate at a Braves game less than 800 people there, Dale Murphy, Bob Horner could really hit a baseball.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
So I now find myself a Bama fan, eagerly awaiting next year and with the prospect of a consolation prize bowl win not really being sufficient to distract me from the let-down of not getting to see Bama in the NCS live (I watched the full Notre Dame game from last year on you-tube)."

Well, a couple more things to look forward to, Bama has a very good Bowl game on the 2nd of January (Sugar Bowl in New Orleans) against one of the premier traditional power houses of College Football, the University of Oklahoma. They don't seem to have the talent that Bama has this year, but they still can't be taken lightly. It should be a good game with hopefully another Bama victory. Ater that we have National Signing Day (in February) where all of the High School Seniors decide where they want to go to College to play football and maybe even get an education. Under Coach Nick Saban, Bama has done extremely well for the past 6, 7 years. And this years potential signees will not disappoint the program either. Then in March and April Bama has 'Spring Drills; to help determine who will be competing for and starting for Bama when the next season rolls around. But it sure seems like an awful long time between the Bowl game and the start of the next years schedule. So, those two events (National Signing Day and Spring Drills) do serve to lighten the doldrums in the absence of the really exciting stuff. By the way...welcome aboard and...Roll Tide, Roll!

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Thanks Im4, a lot of the stuff you mention I simply won't get the opportunity to see over here. Via British ESPN I got to see 2 Bama games this year - LSU and the Iron Bowl. Hopefully the Bowl game on the 2nd will also be shown but I'm Scottish so I'll most likely still be in a drunken stupor from Hogmany :biggrin:.

That was one of my reason's for joining here, to find out more about the game in general. The noise, passion and intensity of the game is very refreshing and much more comparable to my own first sport than the NFL which to be frank now seems rather sterile in comparison.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Thanks Im4, a lot of the stuff you mention I simply won't get the opportunity to see over here. Via British ESPN I got to see 2 Bama games this year - LSU and the Iron Bowl. Hopefully the Bowl game on the 2nd will also be shown but I'm Scottish so I'll most likely still be in a drunken stupor from Hogmany :biggrin:.

That was one of my reason's for joining here, to find out more about the game in general. The noise, passion and intensity of the game is very refreshing and much more comparable to my own first sport than the NFL which to be frank now seems rather sterile in comparison.
The game against Oklahoma will be televised on our ESPN so maybe it will be picked up by British ESPN. And as for everything else, right here is the best place you could possibly be for information on Bama football. so, fret not, my friend!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.