Jeremy Pruitt Thanks Saban for Coaching Opportunity During Broyles Award Speech

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He sounds like ungrateful when he suggests he was only given an opportunity because of players on his high school team. Malzahn got the same opportunity as Pruitt. There are plenty of good coaches in high school that have to get an opportunity like Pruitt's to make it into college coaching.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes I know he was frustrated about being passed up for the DC position. It's called ambition which goes back to what I said wanting to further his career.
I understand ambition and am glad he has it. However, look at the positions he thought he deserved and then look at his experience. His resume didn't compare at all to Kirby.

As for the recruiting. Would you feel mad if another assistant coach came to Alabama and started recruiting players from the school he came from?? Being committed is one thing but it's not until you sign the dotted line. Yeah it sucks but that's how it is.
Don't have a problem with a coach recruiting a player after changing staffs. Pruitt, allegedly, was talking to Walker while still on Alabama's staff.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
As for the recruiting. Would you feel mad if another assistant coach came to Alabama and started recruiting players from the school he came from??
See the part in RTR91 post about recruiting players to FSU while still on the staff at Alabama.

To answer your question, I'd question their ethics. It's one thing to do it after you start your new job. Totally different in his case.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
He sounds like ungrateful when he suggests he was only given an opportunity because of players on his high school team. Malzahn got the same opportunity as Pruitt. There are plenty of good coaches in high school that have to get an opportunity like Pruitt's to make it into college coaching.
That is not a legit comparison. Malzahn was already an established HC on the high school level. Pruitt has never held an HC position on any level. Different backgrounds between those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..When he was recruiting for FSU while still being paid to coach & recruit fo Bama..Is pretty low & made me lose all respect for him..He's a good defensive coach, but, I hope he never coaches again at Bama..

Now that Winston has turned out to be a rapist, can we start liking Pruitt again? :wink:
I understand ambition and am glad he has it. However, look at the positions he thought he deserved and then look at his experience. His resume didn't compare at all to Kirby.

Don't have a problem with a coach recruiting a player after changing staffs. Pruitt, allegedly, was talking to Walker while still on Alabama's staff.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Maybe I'm not seeing the forest for the trees, but his comments leave a lot to be desired as far as expressing gratitude toward CNS. He said he was "happy," not "thankful," to have been chosen as a Bama assistant and to have been promoted from within. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I expected to read something different when I saw the title to the thread and article.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Yes I know he was frustrated about being passed up for the DC position. It's called ambition which goes back to what I said wanting to further his career. As for the recruiting. Would you feel mad if another assistant coach came to Alabama and started recruiting players from the school he came from?? Being committed is one thing but it's not until you sign the dotted line. Yeah it sucks but that's how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How was he passed for the DC position when Kirby is still here? I assume it's he was not going to become DC if Kirby took a HC job?

His comments still come across as a cheap shot, IMO.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
How was he passed for the DC position when Kirby is still here? I assume it's he was not going to become DC if Kirby took a HC job?

His comments still come across as a cheap shot, IMO.
Yes, he saw that he would not be in line for the DC job if Smart left. Given where he was just a few short years ago to where he has ascended is astonishing but his bravado is certainly a turnoff. Even if you are a coaching prodigy (which could argue he is given his age as a DC at a major program playing for the NC) you would think he would have learned the "etiquette" that comes with respecting older coaches who have spent most of their careers paying their dues. Somehow he just comes across spoiled.

In actuality, Sunseri was also wanting a DC position as well and he too saw that he likely would not ascend the DC role either without prior experience as a DC so he left a year prior. Unfortunately, it didnt work out for him. In a way I feel sorry for Sunseri because he is now working for a guy he probably had a hand in training... Personally I think you would see him back at UA before you would Pruitt.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
I heard that when Jeremy was a player at Bama, Coach Stallings made the comment that if he could put his head on a faster body, he would have the perfect college football player. He knows his x's and o's.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Where is Sal coaching at now..I would look it up myself if I were on my laptop..I'm on my Kindle & hate typing on it..LOL..
Yes, he saw that he would not be in line for the DC job if Smart left. Given where he was just a few short years ago to where he has ascended is astonishing but his bravado is certainly a turnoff. Even if you are a coaching prodigy (which could argue he is given his age as a DC at a major program playing for the NC) you would think he would have learned the "etiquette" that comes with respecting older coaches who have spent most of their careers paying their dues. Somehow he just comes across spoiled.

In actuality, Sunseri was also wanting a DC position as well and he too saw that he likely would not ascend the DC role either without prior experience as a DC so he left a year prior. Unfortunately, it didnt work out for him. In a way I feel sorry for Sunseri because he is now working for a guy he probably had a hand in training... Personally I think you would see him back at UA before you would Pruitt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.