Who Thinks This Year Has Been A Failure ?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I don't think it's a failure by any stretch. I think every team in the country except the 2 playing for all the marbles would love to be where we are

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Definitely not me. A part of me thinks Saban should get coach of the year for taking this particular team farther. Up to the LSU game, we improved by leaps and bounds and had me believing we *could* do a 3-peat -- I didn't think so after the first few games. Btw, Mike and Mike are not serious sports journalists. Ok entertainment and they're pretty buffoonish.
I agree. Coach Saban did a heck of a job getting this team to compete at anywhere near their talent level and capabilities. He stated more than once this team had some chemistry issues but that's what happens when so many of your JR players leave early for big NFL contracts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I believe that some Alabama fans probably do see the season as a failure. Those are probably the ones who were out there bragging to everyone about the championship that did not come, and feel personally slighted now that they have to eat all of the crow that they have served themselves. These are the people that sent hate messages to Alabama players and were/are searching for someone to blame, even today.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Not at all.
If we were going to lose a game, which we did, my only disappointment was not getting to Atlanta.
Given how poorly the Miss State game went I would've preferred to have lost that one, beat Auburn, and gone on to play Mizzou.
(That would've kept Auburn out of Pasadena, where they have no business being in the first place.)

But a failure? God, no. A potential 12-1 season with a potential Sugar Bowl championship is not a failure.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
We failed to reach our goals, but I dont think that makes the season a failure.
there are quite a few other teams who failed to reach that goal as well. While as fans we wish for a BCS National Championship every year, thats not a reality, ...and not getting a championship this season sure doesnt make the season a failure.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Failure for the season? No, no way. It was a great year, and Bama's not done. IB? Breakdowns in the last two minutes enables a team that should only be able to beat Bama 1 in 5 times, just happens to luck out in playing in that one game. So, failure to save the Country from (one team that should have lost at least three games, and the one team because of what will be leading them) what another TideFans poster labeled as the "DespicaBowl ", yes, definite failure. And I'll be truthful, if I could trade that loss to any other team on Bama's schedule this past year (yes, anyone), I would jump on that trade in a split second! The bad taste left in one's mouth in losing to *u is a taste that no Bama man, woman, or child, should ever have to endure. CNS, stick around and make sure it doesn't happen again!

Roll Tide, roll...A'ight!

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I'm disappointed that we aren't in Pasadena. I thought I might actually have the resources to go this year when I haven't been able to the last 3 times we've been to the BCS championship game. Couple that with the fact that I really feel like *u only won because somebody had to and Alabama didn't step up and take the win, and it just makes me sick. As far as a failure, heck no. The nature of the loss and the opponent makes the loss sit poorly, but 11-1 is a great season. Nick Saban has us in the mix every year, and honestly, that's all you can ask for. So, to summarize/reiterate, I'm very disappointed, but I do not believe the season was a failure. :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
2008: 12-2
2009: 14-0 National Title
2010: 10-3
2011: 12-1 National Title
2012: 13-1 National Title
2013: 11-1 BCS Bowl Appearance

I don't see a failure in the last six years.
2008 also included a BCS bowl appearance, and you are 100% correct.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I love that everyone else always knows how the Bama fan base thinks.
Exactly. I like COwherd because he's a bit over the top, but he was talking about how crazy our fanbase is in a pejorative sense. We are definitely a more rabid base than a lot of schools, but we aren't nearly as vitriolic as LSU or as arrogant as Texas or Notre Dame folks. We've got our share of nuts (Updyke, the recent shooting, etc), but I find it ironic that we get pegged as nuts, when you rarely hear the media criticize the LA area fans that have been getting into brawls at almost every sporting event with SF fans (Giants or 49ers).

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
It's not a failure but it feels like one considering who we lost to, how, and what was at stake. We did not even win a conference division title. Bitter, bitter disappointment but not failure.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think most everyone in this forum has a pretty good knowledge of football and realizes that this season was indeed a success.
That being said however, there is still a large group of so called "Bama Fans" who know very little to nothing about football and consider
anything less than a national title to be a miserable failure of a season, and grounds to run Coach Saban out of town.
You guys know what I'm talking about here.
Point being, Greenberg's statement does indeed apply in some cases but by no means in the vast majority of them.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think most everyone in this forum has a pretty good knowledge of football and realizes that this season was indeed a success.
That being said however, there is still a large group of so called "Bama Fans" who know very little to nothing about football and consider
anything less than a national title to be a miserable failure of a season, and grounds to run Coach Saban out of town.
You guys know what I'm talking about here.
Point being, Greenberg's statement does indeed apply in some cases but by no means in the vast majority of them.
My problem with Greenberg is that he takes those minority cases and applies them to the group as a whole. I could make any number of assumptions about the groups he is a part of, based on a few bad apples, and he would get offended if I did that.

He's not as smart as he likes to portray himself as.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
It's a disappointment not to beat Auburn, win the SEC or play for/win a national championship, but I don't think I'd call it a failure.

Let me put it this way: If someone told you in late August that you could take a 11-1 season with a loss to Auburn OR let the season play out and see if Bama could win it all I think most Bama fans would take their chances. Most fanbases would take 11-1.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.