Who Thinks This Year Has Been A Failure ?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't expect us to go undefeated, but, don't think we will lose "several games" either..Our running game will be as good as any in the country & will be good enough to carry the offense until our new QB gets his proverbial feet wet as our starting QB..And Coach Saban has a really good track record at Bama..In particular when we're breaking in a new QB..JMO
Had this been next year, no I would not consider it a failure. I am expecting several losses next year.

However, this year with a 5th year, Heisman candidate at qb, 2 studs at running backs, the deepest group of receivers in school history, Butkus winner at LB, an All American at safety and a schedule that was set up beautifully, yes I consider this season a failure with no championships.

I am not saying Alabama has to win a championship every year to have a successful season, I am just saying this particular year, anything less than an SEC Championship was a failure.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We were 11-1 in the last two regular seasons as well. We were just lucky enough to still get into the big game(s).

Would it still be a failure to some if UGA didn't tip that pass and we still went onto the SECCG and then to the BCSNC? We would have once again been 11-1 in the regular season.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
This thread question has the potential to expose us as a spoiled rotten fanbase :), but fortunately 9 out of 10 Bama fans realize that luck comes into play determining which of the top 3-5 teams wins the NC. I would not trade the Tennessee block in 09 or getting onto the game in 11 for a change in the ending to the Iron Bowl in 2013.

Our fan base has its faults, but even Coach Saban acknowledges that our expectations of hard play and competence has a big impact on the players and staff. As ESPN points out, Texas has the best recruits! I ask then why did Bama have better records in the middle of probation's? Our expectations!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone who "expects" any team to win every game on its schedule and win a national championship has lost touch with just how much of an accomplishment that really is. Great coaches and teams lose games every week of every season.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Also, the Stallings years have spoiled me a little. He may have only won 1 National Championship, but he had a 28 game unbeaten streak. He also didn't take any crap off Auburn. Coach Stallings was 5-2 against the cow college, but should have been 7-0. Curtis Brown caught that winning td in 1995 and they got lucky with that 4th and whatever it was pass in 1993.

Also, Stallings coached at Bama for 7 years, but the SEC Championship was only available 5 of his years because it did not start until 1992. So of Stallings 5 eligible years to go the SEC Championship, he took Bama 4 of the years. So under Stallings, we were usually a lock to go to Atlanta. Had it been around in 1991, we would have gone that year also and had a rematch with Florida.

I miss coach

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Also, the Stallings years have spoiled me a little. He may have only won 1 National Championship, but he had a 28 game unbeaten streak. He also didn't take any crap off Auburn. Coach Stallings was 5-2 against the cow college, but should have been 7-0. Curtis Brown caught that winning td in 1995 and they got lucky with that 4th and whatever it was pass in 1993.

Also, Stallings coached at Bama for 7 years, but the SEC Championship was only available 5 of his years because it did not start until 1992. So of Stallings 5 eligible years to go the SEC Championship, he took Bama 4 of the years. So under Stallings, we were usually a lock to go to Atlanta. Had it been around in 1991, we would have gone that year also and had a rematch with Florida.

I miss coach
Stallings was great, but the SEC was a shadow of its current self during his tenure.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Stallings was great, but the SEC was a shadow of its current self during his tenure.
Exactly..And is why it makes what Coach Saban has done at Bama the most impressive run not only in the modern era of football, but, perhaps the most impressive run in the history of college football..

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
This year was not a failure. This team had some flaws and, while they certainly fell short of their potential at the end, they consistently played at a championship level throughout the season. The win against A&M was gutsy, the shutout of Ole Miss was a statement, and they blew out LSU at home. I know LSU was down this year, but I think in the long term that win helped Alabama cement a trend that has shifted over the last few years, from consistently struggling with LSU in Saban's first few years (especially at home), to now being head and shoulders ahead of them for at least as long as coach is here. Bama also dominated the lesser teams on the schedule, with the exceptions of VT and Miss St. Against AU they played close to their worst game, and still nearly won. That loss hurt for sure, and will haunt me for a while. But no one has ever won them all, and nobody will. We're #3 and most of the nation still considers us the best team in the country, and we're heading to a BCS bowl that we'll be favored to win by at least a TD. I'm proud of this year's team and don't consider them a failure. HOWEVER, if we lose to OU and/or CNS leaves, then we might want to reopen this discussion...

paulym

1st Team
Jan 27, 2006
Philly, PA
Disappointed, definately. Failure, absolutely NOT. We finished 11-1 and ranked #3 in the country before the bowls. This was a great season for Bama.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

(end of quote)

Snake is definitely spoiled. When this season is over, every team in the SEC would love to have our record. I knew at the beginning of this season that we would be extremely lucky to go undefeated, I know that next year we will be lucky to go undefeated. It's not the end of Bama as a team if we lose a game, I'll feel disappointed for a day or two then I realize, Hey! we still have a game to play, win or lose I'm with you 100%. Come on Bama, Roll Tide, Beat the Sooners.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
All I know is that there are a LOT of programs out there that have NEVER had a season this good and would give practically anything to have one even close.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Failure ? LOL . It took the greatest play/fluke in aub-neck history to hand Alabama it's lone defeat .

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
With Saban and the great recruiting, Bama will continue to have great seasons with many opportunities for more National Championships. I do have concerns for QB next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Not a failure at all! Losing a game to the barners, or anybody for that matter, is going to happen occasionally. This is an excellent Alabama team which had potential for greatness and history...and they were on the verge of both.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.