McCarron in the NFL

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
So I'm not sure if we should wait for after the Suger Bowl against OU, but I'm curious to know how you guys feel AJ will do in the NFL. Will he be an instant success? Will he be drafted top 10. Do scouts think there is a better QB? What are some of the things he will need to work on?

Personally I think AJ will be the best NFL QB to come out of Alabama and a long time.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
No way to tell how well he will do in the NFL as there are way too many variables such as team that drafts him, coaching, start as a rookie or learn behind someone for a couple of years. While the weather sucks, Green Bay would be a great place for him to learn behind Aaron Rodgers for a couple of years. Better still, being behind Drew Brees at NOLA. Being thrown into the mix as a rookie could ruin his opportunity for a great NFL career.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The coverages are much tighter, and the game is much faster. A receiver that Saban does not even want him considering at Alabama because of the coverage would be considered open in the NFL. You have to have the confidence and arm strength to make those throws. Only time will tell, but he will get his opportunity, and that is all that anyone can hope for in this world.

Personally, I think that he will do very well.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
There are some questions about arm strength. I think he has plenty of arm to play in NFL. He did float a few long balls this year, but he also hit many on the mark. He is more athletic than many people give him credit for. His ace in the hole is his work ethic, leadership, and smarts. He can read a defense, doesn't make mistakes, and sets the tone for the offense. He is a perfectionist just like some coach he played for. I forgot his name. I think he could have a good career if he lands in a nice spot. It is tough for a guy to come into a terrible situation. Some young QB's never realize their potential because of the hot mess the franchise is.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
i see him being able to have a career similar to someone like brad johnson...a steady, above-average starter for many years who goes to the pro bowl a couple of times.

i don't think he will be spectacular, but i think he's capable of having a long and successful career.

fezzador

Sep 26, 2011
Calera, AL
I really have no idea how AJ's pro career will pan out. A lot of it will be out of his hands. He's a good, smart QB who has a knack at making good decisions, but he's also been blessed with playing with superior talent at the college level. In the pros, it's more or less equal ground, so that advantage is taken away. It all depends on where he ends up - if he lands on a team with a great OC and/or QB coach, he could be Pro Bowl material. If he lands on a garbage team that throws him to the wolves right away, and can't properly develop young QB talent, then he's toast.

If I were AJ, I'd be hoping to be drafted in the mid (or even late) first round. He's a quality QB, but too many Top Five QBs have been doomed to failure because the team that drafted them sucked so bad, and all too often there's a lot of coaching turmoil on those crappy franchises. If he's drafted by an average or even good team, and becomes a clipboard holder for a season or two to learn the system, he'll be better off for it. Having an established, experienced QB could be a blessing too. He probably won't view AJ as competition for the starting spot, at least initially. They may well have a teacher-student type of relationship and may well pay dividends.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Here are the records of former Alabama QBs when they started for their respective NFL teams:

Ken Stabler (1970-84), 96-49-1
Joe Namath (1965-78), 62-63-4
Bart Starr (1956-71), 94-57-6
Richard Todd (1976-85), 48-59-1
Scott Hunter (1971-79), 21-18-3
Harry Gilmer (1948-56), 0-10-0
Jeff Rutledge (1979-92), 2-7-1
Brodie Croyle (2006-10), 0-10-0
Steve Sloan (1966-67), 0-1-0
Greg McElroy (2011-12), 0-1-0

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
College QB's aren't just a crap shoot for the NFL, they're a crap shoot followed by a turn at the roulette wheel, followed by a game of three-card monte. NFL scouts will look at AJ's record, stats, and combine data, throw their chicken bones, read the tea leaves, and mumble to themselves a lot over the next few months. They won't reach consensus on AJ, though.

Somebody will have him high enough to go in the first couple of rounds, I think, third round at the worst. That's when the variables kick in. In a good situation with a good coach, cast, and OL, AJ could become the next Tom Brady. Stuck behind a Matt Ryan or Drew Brees he becomes another Greg McElroy. Whatever happens, I don't expect him to become another Gabbert or Weeden.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Here are the records of former Alabama QBs when they started for their respective NFL teams:

Ken Stabler (1970-84), 96-49-1
Joe Namath (1965-78), 62-63-4
Bart Starr (1956-71), 94-57-6
Richard Todd (1976-85), 48-59-1
Scott Hunter (1971-79), 21-18-3
Harry Gilmer (1948-56), 0-10-0
Jeff Rutledge (1979-92), 2-7-1
Brodie Croyle (2006-10), 0-10-0
Steve Sloan (1966-67), 0-1-0
Greg McElroy (2011-12), 0-1-0
Man... that Rutledge guy sure hung around a long time. :p

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
This has been discussed a ton in the last year. Most preliminary polls/mocks/expert views have him as a second or third rounder. I myself (as someone who follows the draft as closely as I do recruiting) also had him as a most likely second rounder. His pro day numbers, or combine, could push him up or down from there. One good thing in AJ's favor is that some of the QB's ahead of him (Mariotta, Mettenberger, Murray) will most likely fall down the board from injuries...or in Mariotta's case he's coming back. So he's moved from that 7-9 range of QB's to probably the top five.

After that it all comes to value. You have to remember that QB value is only relative to the team drafting. There are three categories in that case. Those who need one now (either a top prospect, or hopes of a FA signing), those who need a future starter (aging starter who has no clear successor), those who need a back up (everyone else). My honest guess is that AJ's relative value is in category two. I don't think he'll be drafted as a "start now" guy...but if he gets the Aaron Rodgers treatment (sit and learn a system), I think he has a bright future.

This is a list of teams who potentially fit the mold. (This is l my opinion...and although I like to think I'm a draft expert...I don't get paid for it, so..)

Dallas - Romo is the incumbent, but I think it's a nice long term fit.

Arizona - Palmer is getting old, and they have no real back up atm.

New England - though Ryan Mallet is the sure back up, speculation is he may get a chance elsewhere. Who better to learn under then Brady?

New Orleans - Brees still has several good years, but no real plan is in place for after.

Kansas City - Alex Smith wins...but, I don't know if the Chiefs organization thinks of him as the long term QB of the franchise.

Those are just a few places I see him ending up...

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
It will be interesting to see what AJ does at the Senior Bowl and the combine, and what events he will even participate in at the combine. Personally, he seems like a Matt Ryan clone. Their arm strength is almost identical and both take calculated risks with the football. Granted, Ryan hasn't been too successful this season due to the injuries that have descimated the Falcons' offense, but he has been an overall success through 6 seasons. My guess is that AJ is drafted in the late second round or third and is groomed to be an heir apparent for someone. I don't think he will be picked in the first round with the expectation to start from day one.

B

BroadwayJoe777

McCarron will definitely fair better than the Brody Croyle's or John Parker Wilson's of the NFL world.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
So I'm not sure if we should wait for after the Suger Bowl against OU, but I'm curious to know how you guys feel AJ will do in the NFL. Will he be an instant success? Will he be drafted top 10. Do scouts think there is a better QB? What are some of the things he will need to work on?

Personally I think AJ will be the best NFL QB to come out of Alabama and a long time.
Instant success - probably not. Most QB's aren't.
Drafted top 10 - unlikely. Scouts are divided on how he projects; he's not a consensus top 10 or top 15 that I've seen.
Do scouts think there is a better QB - yes. And the name I've seen most frequently as "more NFL ready than AJ" is Mettenberger.
What does he need to work on? Nothing I can think of immediately.

My wish for AJ would be to land on a decent team as a back-up to give him at least a year to learn the offense and adjust to the NFL. From there, I think he's built for the position, has a very good arm and is incredibly adept at reading defenses and making check downs when appropriate and he doesn't make many mistakes.

My guess is he'll get drafted in the second round and the team that ends up with him will get the steal of the draft.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.