Saban signs multi-year extension w/Bama, shorthorns on suicide watch...

CDsdad

Scout Team
Nov 20, 2007
Wayne County, MS
Re: New Discussion Thread on Possible Coaching Changes...

I read every comment up to about 5 pm yesterday evening. I had no information to contribute so I just lurked along. I have not read anymore comments, and CNS's extension is common knowledge, so now I will ask my 2 questions.

Is everybody OK? Did we lose anybody?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

In principle I agree with you. However, Saban did nothing to begin the speculation and from his viewpoint nothing had changed since his previous statements that he was happy at Alabama and planned to end his career here. Therefore, there was no need to issue yet another statement refuting the rumors. If people didn't believe his prior exhortations, they weren't likely to believe a new one either, so nothing gained by making one.
All true, and I said as much throughout the entire debacle. But Saban should have left that one sentence out of his response to Low, because he knows that it isn't entirely true. He CHOSE not to speak up.

Would it have ended the speculation entirely? No (tis Texas that we are talking about - they believe that the universe works differently in their state). But if it was really important to him, he would have tried. It wasn't for obvious reasons - because the speculation only helped him get his deal done.

I have been in his corner throughout this thing (and still am). I just wish he hadn't said that today.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I read every comment up to about 5 pm yesterday evening. I had no information to contribute so I just lurked along. I have not read anymore comments, and CNS's extension is common knowledge, so now I will ask my 2 questions.

Is everybody OK? Did we lose anybody?
I'm worried about our new barner friends- I haven't seen them since CNS said he was staying.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Was this fact disclosed to you pre-nup?
Sure. I have to say that, in my experience they make great spouses. Maybe SD can back me up on that. My wife is the best thing that ever happened to me. It makes for an interesting few days around every Iron Bowl, but it's not a huge thing.

I won't be actively routing for them in the BCSNCG, but I hope they pull it out. There are a few things in this world that I love more than Bama, and Mrs. Catfish is one of them. If Bama isn't playing for it and Auburn is, I want her to be happy. Plus, IMO, the Winston situation should have AT LEAST been presented to a grand jury. So, I can't really hope FSU wins.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama
What I heard which gave me concern was accurate and reliable. If you listen to the Phil Savage interview carefully, you'll see what I meant. However, as I said above, as it went on, I realized that he had put it behind him. And I posted that. I had come out strongly that he was going to stay. When I received the other information, I got uncomfortable out on the limb, so I had to do what I did. I hate to think of how I would have been crucified, if I had stayed with the position of 100% staying and he had moved in spite of his comments. Therefore, I had to post what I did. Same circumstances arise again, I'll do the same. I had worried what might happen, if CMB stayed another year. There's no doubt that, if he leaves, they'll make another run at Saban. I think now, barring bad developments inside our AD, he is ours until retirement. Let us remember that hindsight is always 20-20...
I, for one, appreciate the heads up you gave Earl. I always felt like Alabama was the heavy favorite (like others have said) but we needed to know that it wasn't 100%, even if it was for a brief period of time. I appreciate all you do here, sir.

B

BroadwayJoe777

Is there a dollar figure out there on how much Saban's extension is?

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama

I'm worried about our new barner friends- I haven't seen them since CNS said he was staying.
They're not worried... Don't you know that Gus owns Nick Saban? That offense is the second coming! It's the newest thing! (even though, as Gary Danielson pointed out a little while ago, Army and Navy are running something very similar right before our eyes today) Defenses will never catch up to it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Shorthorns, eh? I prefer t.u. and sips myself. All three are acceptable though and something we are used to coming from OU and A&M. What do the barners call you guys?

Saban sticking around is pretty much what I expected. No one is really upset about that. Disappointed? Yes. But folks aren't melting down over Saban staying at Alabama. Most everyone was hoping and giving it a small chance but nothing serious outside of a very vocal few. Some still are insisting he's coming to Texas right now.

What are we melting down over?

1. We are angry and stunned that it seems Mack is sticking around.
2. We are angry our administration is running this clown show.
3. We are angry because our normal Texas news sites seem to have been completely lied to or just dropped the ball. All of them.

It all makes no sense. Of the four main Texas sites, there are four main insiders that get news. They are all almost always spot on and when they are wrong, it's in the small details. It seems every single one of them has been 100% wrong in reference to Mack.

That is why we are melting down. Not because Saban is staying at Alabama but because Mack being stubborn will prevent us from getting ANY good coach and we will continue our slide into irrelevance.

It's going to be an early drinking day for me.
Quixoft, I appreciate you sticking around and your level headedness on this topic.

You think that it is possible that those who were trying to get CMB out saw that the CNS was not moving that they agreed to let the fire die until after your bowl game and up until the BCSNCG?

Mack can then step down and UT can have a run at Fisher or Malzhan or whoever then?

One of our Mods here had a theory that the ones who were tryng to push Brown out at UT knew that the only way they could get anything done was with the "CNS to UT" rumor. Furthermore, the idea was that nobody was sure about CNS leaving Bama but that the "rumor" of it might be enough to get Brown out so you guys could move on to your next coach whoever it might be, even if it wasn't CNS.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I have a mixed marriage, too. Mrs. Catfish is an *U grad.
A channel cat living with a flathead?

I married the worst sort of woman - European thinks football is played with a round punkin' and never knows when to jump up and down, screamining like an idiot at the top of her lungs with the rest of us.

Last edited:

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama

Shorthorns, eh? I prefer t.u. and sips myself. All three are acceptable though and something we are used to coming from OU and A&M. What do the barners call you guys?

Saban sticking around is pretty much what I expected. No one is really upset about that. Disappointed? Yes. But folks aren't melting down over Saban staying at Alabama. Most everyone was hoping and giving it a small chance but nothing serious outside of a very vocal few. Some still are insisting he's coming to Texas right now.

What are we melting down over?

1. We are angry and stunned that it seems Mack is sticking around.
2. We are angry our administration is running this clown show.
3. We are angry because our normal Texas news sites seem to have been completely lied to or just dropped the ball. All of them.

It all makes no sense. Of the four main Texas sites, there are four main insiders that get news. They are all almost always spot on and when they are wrong, it's in the small details. It seems every single one of them has been 100% wrong in reference to Mack.

That is why we are melting down. Not because Saban is staying at Alabama but because Mack being stubborn will prevent us from getting ANY good coach and we will continue our slide into irrelevance.

It's going to be an early drinking day for me.
quixoft,

I wish good luck to Texas fans like yourself. On the one hand, I think Mack has done a pretty good job at Texas, but a coach can stay too long (re: Paterno and Bowden), and sometimes a change is needed. The part of your fan base who were spreading these rumors and fueling this "Saban to Texas" debacle are people I have no use for. But I do realize it's probably a minority of your fan base. I do think that Brown deserves to go with dignity and it was handled very badly because of the stupid actions of a few. Hopefully, everyone will come to an understanding, he can leave with some dignity and Texas can get new blood in there. I think Alabama fans can appreciate the need for good, constructive change.

Again, good luck, and you've been very reasonable, informative, and a good addition to this board. I hope you'll still visit from time to time.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Originally Posted by TideFan in AU

They know what that means ...

Wipe the windows and check the oil
As the barn falls into the nexus
Soon we'll see the boogs' blood boil
When the Gus bus leaves for Texas

quixoft

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 9, 2013

What happens when Oregon wins by 30?
This is what I'm waiting for. I have zero doubt that Oregon will hang at least 40 on us and I don't see a win. We are just not a good team. See controversial 1 point win over Iowa State. IOWA STATE!

If Mack does indeed say he's 100% sticking around in next couple weeks and then promptly gets trounced in the Alamo Bowl, I foresee a true meltdown. There are already folks in San Antonio getting some nifty signs ready for the bowl game regarding Mack Brown.

One thing interesting I heard from last night at the Texas football banquest was about one of our big donors leaving. As I posted earlier, I have a couple friends that work in the athletic department. Low level folks that don't make any decisions but they do get to go to functions like this and both were at the banquet.

They said when the Saban news of signing the extension came in last night during the banquet, this big donor simply got up, said something to the effect of "This is <bad word>, I'm burning this whole <bad word> department to the ground." and walked out of the banquet.

One of the insiders on orangebloods was at the banquet as well and saw the same thing. Evidently Mack and Powers dug in their heels after all the retirement leaks, purposely to end the the courting of Saban, and just ticked off a bunch of really, really rich people.

This drama is still being played out but at least for you guys, Saban is out of it now.

Can you say dumpster fire?

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I have a mighty hard time believing that Nick looks at this ever again. I think we can rest easy and hope the plans for retirement go smoothly in a few years.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I have a mighty hard time believing that Nick looks at this ever again. I think we can rest easy and hope the plans for retirement go smoothly in a few years.
Unless he fires Jimmy Sexton it wouldn't surprise me if this does happen again. :-(

UPDATE: Actually I had not read where Saban said that he would end his career at UA so that makes me feel better that this might not happen again. I fully expect him to retire in 2-3 more years, stay out of coaching for a couple of years, and then get the urge to coach again (somewhere else obviously) for a few more years.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.