Saban signs multi-year extension w/Bama, shorthorns on suicide watch...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Speaking of UT, found this link to an article on another site and I'm just amazed at the thoughts and writings of some UT folks. On another note, who is the source close to Alabama football the article is talking about?

**disclaimer** This will drive you nuts and is for entertainment purposes only**

http://www.chatsports.com/texas-lon...s-Was-So-Sure-Theyd-Get-Nick-Saban-10-136-666
Clearly a lot of Texas fans wanted Mack gone and didn't really care what it took to do it. How many people were actively involved in it, and how many people just bought into the hype is hard to tell, but clearly the whole thing was motivated by a "what's the worse thing that can happen?" mentality, in which as long as Mack was gone, it was a victory. So, they had incentive to spread what ever absurdities they could come up with as to why Saban could come to Alabama. That article pretty much outlines several (Double the pay, really? They're still a public institution), of the insane things people were coming up with.

I'm sure there was some sort of allure of Texas on the part of Saban, and I'm also willing that Saban has had a few things rub him the wrong way at Alabama, but the Texas side fabricated this whole elaborate fantasy which they sought to turn into reality.

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
Speaking of UT, found this link to an article on another site and I'm just amazed at the thoughts and writings of some UT folks. On another note, who is the source close to Alabama football the article is talking about?

**disclaimer** This will drive you nuts and is for entertainment purposes only**

http://www.chatsports.com/texas-lon...s-Was-So-Sure-Theyd-Get-Nick-Saban-10-136-666
There is really nothing new in that article other than a lot of guessing. Saban and UT reached an agreement, but they can't find Mack so they lose him? Please...

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
"Respected" writer Chris Brown? That guy has been wrong more times than a broken clock. I don't know anyone outside of the state of Texas (and few inside the state) that would call him respected.

I do admire their tenacity or ignorance on getting Saban. Not that they're alone... it reminds me a bit of folks on here who thought we could get Parcells/Gruden/etc when we were hiring for Price/Shula.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama

Interesting fiction. That guy should write short stories - he has a future in it. He was going really well until "Saban decided to sign the contract extension that had been on his desk for 5 days". There was no such thing on his desk for 5 days. That was made clear to anyone who paid attention. He must have been listening to Finebaum.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

This is too much fish in a barrel for me to resist a few pointed points. I'll miss some but who cares?

1) Sexton confirmed to Hicks that Texas was the only college job Saban would ever consider leaving Alabama for.

Like so much that Sexton says, who knows if this is true? Sexton is the guy who promises the high school girl he'll marry her if she gets pregnant and then the next morning has his eye on another sweetie.

2) However, Sexton is adamant that no leaks to the media can arise, which would putting Saban in an uncomfortable position with his current team.

This is from September 2013. Amazing!!!

It was during the off week between the VT and aTm games that the stories began. So in other words....at this point the deal was off, right?

3) Saban’s wife, Terry, makes a secret visit to Austin.

It was so secret that it was on TideFans and other boards that evening.

4) Following the game, an Alabama booster makes a snide remark to Saban before the Crimson Tide boards the bus back to Tuscaloosa. The comment rubs Saban the wrong way (understandable, given his previous success), which only increases his desire to leave Alabama.

I don't believe this for even one second. Note that this suggests Saban ALREADY has a "desire to leave Alabama." This comes from the "Austin is better than Tuscaloosa" playbook of UT.

And who was the booster? And how do we know this happened?

5) Our source tells us Saban quickly made up his mind that the loss to Auburn signaled the end of his tenure with the Tide

Is this the same source that had Saban as a "done deal" back in 2011? Or earlier this year? Or whenever?

6) Respected Longhorns writer/insider Chip Brown breaks a story that Mack Brown is stepping down.

In what alternative universe is Chip Brown a reliable source of information?

Btw - it is a common tactic for a journalist to use the term "source" in one place and then name the source elsewhere in the story for another point in order to throw others off the scent. So should I maybe conclude that Chip is the source of Saban going to leave because of the Iron Bowl?

7) Sexton desperately wants to avoid Saban having to publicly deny interest in the Texas job.

Keep reading because this is going to be the ultimate irony in just a few seconds....

8) Saban leaves town to recruit and avoid the inevitable media circus surrounding the announcement.

And do we seriously believe that not one recruit or parent got a text or Facebook post about this situation and called Saban onto the carpet and threatened to go to the media?

9) Saban signs the contract extension that’s been sitting on his desk for five days and denies any interest in the Texas job.

Not only was the "contract...on his desk" a myth, but why in the world would Saban want no media attention that would get him ripped and then double down on something stupid like this? Why would he THEN haul off and say he never had any interest in the Texas job? I would point out that's probably not exactly true since he was interested (or Sexton was) in getting himself a nice raise).

10) Saban’s people go to radio silence, not responding to any communication from Texas.

Uh, it was only all over the Internet, folks....

11) “Had to sign the extension, too much heat. If you guys can wait, lets talk after January 2nd.”

Didn't want a media ruckus......now will have a bigger one than ever.....and someone from UT thinks this is their shot? Are you kidding me?

(Note also how subtly the author moves from an Alabama booster insulting Saban to him being upset at the administration).

OK, comedy. Some teenagers still believe in Santa Claus btw.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
6) Respected Longhorns writer/insider Chip Brown breaks a story that Mack Brown is stepping down.

In what alternative universe is Chip Brown a reliable source of information?

Btw - it is a common tactic for a journalist to use the term "source" in one place and then name the source elsewhere in the story for another point in order to throw others off the scent. So should I maybe conclude that Chip is the source of Saban going to leave because of the Iron Bowl?.
Maybe Chip Brown is the source that told him that Chip Brown was a respected writer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nothing like 'Double Talk'... Sometimes it makes sense. That's when I start to worry.
It makes sense only to UT fans who are grasping for straws as to why their fantasies didn't come true. Otherwise, it's a fanciful fabrication with holes big enough to drive a school bus through. Oh, what the hell. If it makes them feel better about themselves and their program, no skin off my nose...

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

This is funnier than all that poppycock about Texas beating Alabama "if only Colt hadn't gotten hurt."

It's amazing to me that - according to this fairytale - UT has had this plan in place since 2011 or whatever and never once considered developing a Plan B. This tells me that a group is the stupidest people on the planet. Now, is that group the UT administration or the UT fanbase (for believing this junk)? I'm gonna just go with both . . . :)

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
This is funnier than all that poppycock about Texas beating Alabama "if only Colt hadn't gotten hurt."

It's amazing to me that - according to this fairytale - UT has had this plan in place since 2011 or whatever and never once considered developing a Plan B. This tells me that a group is the stupidest people on the planet. Now, is that group the UT administration or the UT fanbase (for believing this junk)? I'm gonna just go with both . . . :)
I'll say this about that.

I think for UTx fans, it's sour grapes. But when you acknowledge Mack's career, you have to consider that one of his two BSC games was played with a backup qb. I still think we win, mind you, but if you're analyzing his overall success, it has to be acknowledged that his quarterback wasn't in there. Now, you can turn around and blame him for building too much of the team around Colt, as well. So it's a double-edged sword.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
What worries me is just how much of that fan base will or does believe that story. My respect for UT died a long time ago, now I just shake my head in disbelief. Every team has that fringe but as they say "everything is bigger in Texas" especially their egos. All I could do was laugh at that article, if you can call it an article.

BamaQ

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 1999
Savannah, GA
I'll say this about that.

I think for UTx fans, it's sour grapes. But when you acknowledge Mack's career, you have to consider that one of his two BSC games was played with a backup qb. I still think we win, mind you, but if you're analyzing his overall success, it has to be acknowledged that his quarterback wasn't in there. Now, you can turn around and blame him for building too much of the team around Colt, as well. So it's a double-edged sword.

And in the 2009 OU/UTx game, OU played with a back-up QB (after Heisman winner Sam Bradford left game with a shoulder injury). Yet I never hear UTx fans say "If Sam hadn't gotten hurt we wouldn't have even made it to the BCS game against Bama."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
And in the 2009 OU/UTx game, OU played with a back-up QB (after Heisman winner Sam Bradford left game with a shoulder injury). Yet I never hear UTx fans say "If Sam hadn't gotten hurt we wouldn't have even made it to the BCS game against Bama."
You completely missed Prof's point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.