Saban signs multi-year extension w/Bama, shorthorns on suicide watch...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
After huddling and discussion, we've decided on a "do-over" thread. We need to emphasize the no-rumor policy. First, no links to other schools' BBSs and no C&P, either. Also, links to news sites are allowed, unless they are just warmed-over material from BBSs. There are several of those current right now. They say "sources," but when you burrow down, their "source" is just another BBS. BTW, the staff sometimes comes into material which is pertinent, but the source can't be revealed. In those cases, staff are exempt from the strict letter of the rumor rule. Brad's admonition about no new threads stands. Let's keep it here...

***TIDEFANS UPDATE ON CONTRACT AGREEMENT ***.
JESSN: Saban, UA announce agreement

Last edited by a moderator:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Re: New Discussion Thread on Possible Coaching Changes...

To keep some of our jumpers from plunging....

this would actually be the perfect time for CNS to go if there ever was one.....promote Kirby to HC (let's face it, he's CNS' shadow) and keep Cochran at S&C. If Kirby leaves, so does Cochran. And, I don't want to lose either of them. But, Kirby won't wait forever.....

And next year with a new QB, a new playoff system.....likely some lower expectations.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

First off, I want to commend you for giving us the information you have and putting up with some ill-advised public criticism from some long time posters. Truth be known some of them should have been suspended. But I have to give it to you for showing some patience in a very heated and stressful situation.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com

To keep some of our jumpers from plunging....

this would actually be the perfect time for CNS to go if there ever was one.....promote Kirby to HC and keep Cochran at S&C. If Kirby leaves, so does Cochran. And, I don't want to lose either of them. But, Kirby won't wait forever.....
We have no clue how good of a head coach Kirby will be. There is no "good" time for coach Saban to leave in my opinion. ANd why wouldnt Coach Saban take Cochran with him?

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

I respect my fellow TideFans' angst / nervousness / unease.

However, I just do not see Coach leaving.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Finebaum is in NYC today. He said he talked to some people who have been in contact with Bill Battle today. These people indicated Battle will give a statement at the NCAA forum in NYC shortly. The statement should indicate he's talked to the Saban's and feels confident about keeping CNS.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

We have no clue how good of a head coach Kirby will be. There is no "good" time for coach Saban to leave in my opinion. ANd why wouldnt Coach Saban take Cochran with him?
Kirby and Cochran and families are extremely close. If Kirby were to leave to be HC, Cochran would be his S&C.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

I remember reading in yesterday's mega thread a credible poster (can't remember which one) saying we "should" know something by the end of the night (yesterday). That obviously didn't happen for whatever reason. Is there any timetable that those in the know are allowed to reveal right now? Like check back here tomorrow around 3pm or whatever. Or do those of us who don't follow twitter ect. just need to keep checking here every coupla hours?

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

I was not worried st all until Earle posted about Phil Savage interview, whic I can't pull up on my iPad if anyone can give a recap, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I'm going to tell you right now. If he stays we'll win the national title next season. There will be so much renewed optimism and joy over him staying we'll shock the world and win another one. You heard it here first.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I know nothing and have nothing to say, but hats off to the mods for their diligence in keeping this site from total mayhem.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The most logical thing I've heard in this whole thing was Ian Fitzsimmons at lunch on his show here. He went through each name logically and coherently starting with Saban. Doesn't think he's coming here but does think its a hefty raise to keep him. He eliminated the other names - logically at least (Meyer ain't leaving OSU, the Harbaughs won't talk until eliminated from playoffs and thus unlikely, etc, etc). He settled on Jimbo, noting Sexton is agent for both & they can get Fisher for half of what Saban will cost and he's much younger.

Didn't say it is or ain't happening but was the most sober & logical look I've seen thus far.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

We have no clue how good of a head coach Kirby will be. There is no "good" time for coach Saban to leave in my opinion.
I think that the ideal situation for Saban to leave would be retirement. That way, it doesn't necessarily destroy the recruiting class, it doesn't necessarily cause an exodus with players, or staff. In that scenario, I could certainly see the logic to promoting Kirby (with Saban's blessing).

But, if he leaves for a job like Texas? The whole thing becomes a mess, and if Alabama doesn't keep Kirby, then they'll lose a lot of what Saban has built, but if they do keep Kirby, they're basically working with leftovers.

I think if Saban leaves for Texas (which I still believe is unlikely), Alabama would need to open things up and look at all their options in terms of head coaches...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

I've had a really busy day and no computer time. Has something occured since early this morning that has caused the nervous feeling in some posts I am reading? I've looked at several websites and don't see anything new. Thanks and RTR

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

The most logical thing I've heard in this whole thing was Ian Fitzsimmons at lunch on his show here. He went through each name logically and coherently starting with Saban. Doesn't think he's coming here but does think its a hefty raise to keep him. He eliminated the other names - logically at least (Meyer ain't leaving OSU, the Harbaughs won't talk until eliminated from playoffs and thus unlikely, etc, etc). He settled on Jimbo, noting Sexton is agent for both & they can get Fisher for half of what Saban will cost and he's much younger.

Didn't say it is or ain't happening but was the most sober & logical look I've seen thus far.
Taking emotion and biases out of it he's right. Matter of fact most conservative talking heads I've heard (Herbstreit for example) have come out this morning and said "no way" that Saban is going to Texas.

Again, it doesn't mean he ultimately won't. But laying down facts and extrapolating any form of logic it points to he's staying.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.