Saban signs multi-year extension w/Bama, shorthorns on suicide watch...

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
Re: New Discussion Thread on Possible Coaching Changes...

I can't imagine more than $7M a year. Check this:

Of the nine pro coaches who make more than $6 million, eight of them are in the NFL: Payton, Patriots coach Bill Belichick ($7.5 million), Chiefs coach Andy Reid ($7.5 million), Seahawks coach Pete Carroll ($7 million), Rams coach Jeff Fisher ($7 million), Redskins coach Mike Shanahan ($7 million), Giants coach Tom Coughlin ($6.67 million) and Eagles coach Chip Kelly ($6.5 million).

If a college coach gets paid to much it is going to cause a massive effect even through the pro ranks. He would be the highest paid Football coach.
It seems to me that, because they actually assemble the team and the players are much more willing to follow instructions in college, college football coaches deserve to be paid more than NFL coaches.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

This makes no sense at all. If any agent puts his interests at or above his client's, he'd have trouble getting work on a garbage truck.

This falls under the TIFWIW category. Chris Stewart played a clip of Finebaum on Dan Patrick's show and what he said makes sense. Finebaum said" Saban likes it Alabama and he thought he would likely stay here. He stated there are people around Saban who are pushing him to go to Texas namely Sexton who would benefit from Saban making a higher salary at UTw plus if Kirby were to be the new HC here, he'd get a raise from Kirby's new salary. Sexton is a major snake IMO.

I also wonder if Battle has had any dealings with Sexton in the past.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011

Here's the problem for both Texas and Alabama - other than Nick Saban, I don't know of a well-rounded college coach with a proven track record of success who is available right now.
IMO. There really are 2 top tier coaches at the college level right now. Saban and Meyer. There are a ton of really good coaches though. You may be able to throw Tressel in that top tier.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

They taught Latin in public HS in Alabama???? Way back then??? Who taught it, Caesar? :biggrin2:
Well, actually, I had two years of basic and then a year of Caesar, but it was taught by Mrs. Marshall. Next was a year of (groan) Cicero. I still remember the opening remark of Caesar - "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres.(all Gaul is divided into three parts.) The sentence runs on from there and it's the opening sentence in Caesar's book on the Gaelic wars. I wouldn't take anything for having that Latin for the insight it gave me into the English language and the ease it provided in learning other languages...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The continual efforts to hire someone close to Bryant were disastrous, with the exception of Stallings (although his tenure also ended unfavorably in the midst of NCAA sanctions).
In retrospect, I think we all know that Bobby Bowden was the best possible hire, and a realistic option, but there did seem to be certain counterproductive priorities.

Ironically, Jimbo Fisher could be an ideal replacement if Saban did leave, but he has no ties to Alabama at all.

Saban had no ties to Alabama, and that certainly worked out. Whenever Alabama has their next coaching search, I hope it's a broad search.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

AJ is talking to the media right now before tomorrow night's award show. When asked, he says he does not believe CNS leaves.
It's a shame that on a night that AJ has worked his backside off to earn, he's having to answer questions about this, it's a night he's worked really hard torwards & it takes a back seat to all this..Sickening..

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

It's a really sad commentary that some people ridicule me for actually believing that men should honor their word and that some things are more important than money. I guess it's just another example of how lost we are as a society.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Here's the problem for both Texas and Alabama - other than Nick Saban, I don't know of a well-rounded college coach with a proven track record of success who is available right now.
IMO they are all available if Texas is willing to pay their buyout.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Well, actually, I had two years of basic and then a year of Caesar, but it was taught by Mrs. Marshall. Next was a year of (groan) Cicero. I still remember the opening remark of Caesar - "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres.(all Gaul is divided into three parts.) The sentence runs on from there and it's the opening sentence in Caesar's book on the Gaelic wars. I wouldn't take anything for having that Latin for the insight it gave me into the English language and the ease it provided in learning other languages...
First sentence in Latin 1 textbook, IIRC.
We also studied "Greek roots" at the same time (different class), and there aren't a lot (there are some) scientific/legal terms I can't figure out.

Last edited:

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

Yes. Not Mrs Lyons, Mrs Marshall. Your memory is better than mine. Your Latin scores were probably better, too.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama

It's a really sad commentary that some people ridicule me for actually believing that men should honor their word and that some things are more important than money. I guess it's just another example of how lost we are as a society.
I agree with you in principle, but rightly or wrongly, it's not the way the world works. I think that's the disagreement people are having with your statements. But integrity SHOULD mean more important than money.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Phil Savage is cohosting the SiriusXM college football show tonight. He repeated what he said on JOX. He said he denied any talk about Saban to another job until about the week after the Iron Bowl. He just has a different feeling.

He says he hasn't talked to Saban, but I don't buy that. He wouldn't make comments like he has if he hasn't talked to Saban.

He did say he feels this will come to a head this weekend or Monday when the recruiting dead period starts and coaches get off the recruiting trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Krazy, correct me if I'm wrong, but the answer may be easier to find than we think. Mrs. Saban said it in her interview: Her husband is a builder, not a custodian of what he's built. Maybe he's finding that he's uncomfortable with the pressure that goes with being the top dog -- the expectation that you win all the time.

As for those who say he's too old to start over. He'd find at least as many advantages at Texas as he had here. Sure he's older now, but it took him less than two years to have us on the cusp of a national championship. He's got time to resurrect Texas.

We can match Texas money. But we don't offer him the challenge of rebuilding the brand. We ARE The Brand.

What is there to weigh? Gold?

Honestly, unless I'm missing something huge behind the scenes, Saban has virtually no reason to leave, and only my being completely wrong all along about him and what motivates him, or Alabama just being complete idiots seems to leave much to weigh.

Let's weigh this. Texas can offer him more money, but in the long run that's marginal at best. Damage to his "brand" and the fact that even Texas is likely to view him as a mercenary which means he's only getting money as long as he's winning for them. If he retired at Alabama, he retires knowing they will take care of him for life. At Texas he gets more "clutter", the network, more politics, more intrusive boosters. He harms what he's done at Alabama, he harms his legacy...

There are only two options I see as being somewhat viable (assuming that tweet is correct, and based on other tidbits that sounds plausible). One is that Saban is just trying to iron out some issues with Alabama, be it contractual, or real problems he's encountered behind the scenes that he's unhappy with. The other is that he's considering NFL teams, which makes much more sense. They could pay him Texas money, but without all of the chaos that a move to Texas would entail. By itself, the whole Texas stuff doesn't make logical sense.

I still think he stays, but I'm waiting for that piece of information that allows all this stuff to actually make sense. Remember though, in terms of public knowledge, nothing Nick Saban has said or done has given us just cause to criticize him. May be when it's all said and done we'll have more than enough justification, but that hasn't happened yet.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

LOL! I hope you don't have multiple personalities. From your avatar, I'd guess you're really an alumnus. If you're female, then you're an alumna. If there's more than one of you, then, male, you're alumni. If plural female, then alumnae. I actually had to study Latin. In a public HS; in Decatur, AL...
I had to take three years of Latin in a Catholic school. From a nun. A really nasty nun.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I'm ridiculing you for your seeming belief that it's better--and somehow more honorable--to pay someone 5 dollars and make 7 than to pay them 10 dollars and make 30.
My point has been consistent throughout and If you can't see that I can't help you. A man's word is supposed to mean something and principles don't have a price tag and are not negotiable...at least that's what I was raised to believe. You may find that worthy of ridicule and that's your right. I will say no more because there is a no sparring rule here.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.