Saban signs multi-year extension w/Bama, shorthorns on suicide watch...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Re: New Discussion Thread on Possible Coaching Changes...

Spinosa, again.

Best to read about it in this - the bankruptcy filing: http://bankrupt.com/misc/beltway8.DS.pdf

I believe that this has also been resolved, but have no real proof so cannot provide a link.
Found an article on this. Its been resolved. I've seen this complex; it seems like a lot of money for that part of town.
One deals with developers at their own risk.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

If this is true, it reminds a bit of the Barn in 2003. They were basically busted interviewing Petrino in Louisville and a lot of information came out regarding their desire to have him be the new coach. This was done to pressure Tubbs into resigning (so they wouldn't have to pay the buyout or rest of his contract). Tubbs refused to resign and proceeded to go undefeated the very next season, making it incredibly difficult to fire him.

Assuming this is all being done out of Austin to pressure Brown into retirement, could we see something similar? Texas has a botched attempt to get their desired coach, they pressure Brown to resign, only he doesn't and then proceeds to reel off a magical season next year.
Look at this from Mack Brown's perspective. He's the same age as Nick Saban, he's had a run of success that looks almost as good as what Nick has done at Alabama and better than what he did at LSU (2004-2009 he was 69-9 with one BCS title, two BCSCG appearances, and 5 bowl victories). In his head he clearly still thinks Colt's injury was why he lost to Alabama. So, he probably still feels like he just needs a few things to go correctly, and he'll be right back where he was. He could point to the fact that he was as close to a conference title as Nick Saban this year. I think the Nick Saban thing is a personal insult to him from his viewpoint, if you're going to retire, do you really want to be forced out by someone your age?
I'm telling you. When it is official he is staying don't be surprised if A-Day has 100,000+ in it and we roll through the SEC next season. This is a perfect thing to rejuvenate an entire program and fan base.
From Nick's perspective, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's at least a small factor. If we can get re-energized, and everyone around the program can refocus, another run of titles is a real possibility. It can't happen with complacency though.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

If I'm Mack Brown, they can pay me whatever the buyout is if they want me out.

If they can't get Saban, I can see them going after Fisher or even Gus. While recruiting might suffer if they can't hire him until mid January, I think a splash hire like that would offset the loss of one recruiting class.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

If they can't get Saban, I can see them going after Fisher or even Gus. While recruiting might suffer if they can't hire him until mid January, I think a splash hire like that would offset the loss of one recruiting class.
Oh yeah. No doubt. ONE recruiting class isn't going to break Texas. But the wrong hire will. They need someone who's not only proven but is an exciting hire. Malzahn, Jimbo, Shaw etc. would do the trick.

Last edited:

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL

Texas really needs to do a case study in forcing out a long time successful coach. If they were to look at the what has happened to the other ut since giving Fulmer the boot, I think they would seriously consider keeping Mack around for another season or two.

AuburnProud

Jan 4, 2002

I listened to the UTexas's morning BOR session and there was not a single word spoken about football or coaching. The webcam is off now for their executive session but it will be turned back on later if you are interested.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

It would not hurt as much as people think. There would still be over a month to recruit and Texas almost recruits itself.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Texas really needs to do a case study in forcing out a long time successful coach. If they were to look at the what has happened to the other ut since giving Fulmer the boot, I think they would seriously consider keeping Mack around for another season or two.
However FSU seems to have recovered

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

if we pay him $10 million a year I will never donate money to the university again...never. that's just an absurd amount of money to pay a college coach. at this rate we'll be paying a coach $30 million a year ten years from now.

I understand how people make an accounting analysis and say he's worth the money, but the university is supposed to be primarily about education and public service, not money making.
If he were a salesperson on commission, even at 10 million, he'd be vastly under paid for the revenue the football program has generated since he has been coach.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

It would not hurt as much as people think. There would still be over a month to recruit and Texas almost recruits itself.
I agree, a bad recruiting class for Texas is probably better than a good year for most teams. They'd probably lose on some of the top guys, but it would not be a total disaster. And a splash hire like Jimbo would make up for lost time in a hurry.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Oh yeah. No doubt. ONE recruiting class isn't going to break Texas. But the wrong hire will. They need someone who's not only proven but is an exciting hire. Malzahn, Jimbo, Shaw etc. would do the trick.
We can all say that we are painfully aware of that fact.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

The lesson they learned there is "Don't shove the current guy out unless you've got the replacement lined up".

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

From the TIFWIW Department:

If Brown is indeed out at Texas, at least one observer thinks Saban won’t land there. Even though Saban, like virtually every other coach in the history of the profession, has been known to say he won’t go somewhere (Alabama) and then speed off like the Road Runner (from Miami and the Dolphins) within hours.
“There’s no chance. No chance of that happening,” ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said in an interview on KESN 103.3 (via the Dallas Morning News). “Nick Saban will work TV sitting next to us on our set before he’ll be the head coach at Texas … He’ll be at Alabama for another five years, and then he’ll be working TV after that … I know Nick Saban better than anybody. It’s not going to happen.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-chance-kirk-herbstreit-says/?wpsrc=AG0002957

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.