Saban signs multi-year extension w/Bama, shorthorns on suicide watch...

shottistyeti

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2006
Re: New Discussion Thread on Possible Coaching Changes...

There is another possibility:

4. Geeze, I've already said I'm not going to Texas, my pal Finebaum staked his entire professional reputution on it, and even my wife has already she said that she likes it here. Sorry if folks still don't get it, but I've done all I can to calm fears. I have recruiting to do.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

"The numbers keep growing. When "Jesus Shuttlesworth" was pushing it on his site, it was a paltry 20 million. I've been told that the amount that the Saban's are down on their investments has been wildly exaggerated, and a large part of it has already been covered by Bama boosters..."

So CNS made some bad personnel investments. He is being paid a very high salary, apparently being offered an even higher one, and members of his "fan base" have ponied up contributions to help reduce his personal financial crisis. Yet, he is consdering taking another job (if we are to believe the "rumors"). Wow, thats some "appreciation" at work there. I was obviously raised wrong. I hope he stays, but I think the fan base won't want to go through this every year. I suspect the average fan will have a hard time swollowing this as just the way business is done. Smells like a bridge starting to smoulder.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

There is another possibility:

4. Geeze, I've already said I'm not going to Texas, my pal Finebaum staked his entire professional reputution on it, and even my wife has already she said that she likes it here. Sorry if folks still don't get it, but I've done all I can to calm fears. I have recruiting to do.
Nah, that would make too much sense. Ya know, especially since THERE IS NO CONTRACT TO SIGN yet.
But hey let's just assume Coach is doing worse case scenario anyway!

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Is there a full moon or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

This whole ordeal is a Texas sized compost heap perpetuated by Texas and any other Bama hater out there looking to cash in on internet hits. No doubt some Texas big wigs gauged Sexton on coach Sabans interest and got all giddy by the statement that Saban may have said to him about Texas which was probably taken out of context to begin with. This is all old news though.

Now its seasons end when all the silly coaching changes and rumors go rampant and Texas fans are once again praying for god to intervene and restore them to their rightful promised land! Idiots the whole lot as we all know who god pulls for! ;)

If my memory serves me correct, coach Saban signed a multi-year contract 7 years ago. About every year since then he has been given bonuses, raises and extensions on that previously signed contract for himself or his assistants or both. So what has changed this year? Did his contract expire? No! Texas is happening thats what and every internet blogger with an imagination is seeing dollar signs in internet hits with every conceivable internet gossip they can invent or exaggerate. And the Bama fans are in a panic clicking on every rumor thus fueling this whole fiasco.

Naturally the media is going to get in on the hot subject of the moment and get their share of the pie. Meanwhile coach Saban is out doing the job he is getting paid handsomely to do every year! Business as usual! Nothing new or sinister just doing his job the best he knows how. I'm am sure he could come out and say something to ease everyone's mind...wait! He has already done that lol! What a bunch! ;)

The way i see it coach Saban has a job at Alabama as long as he wants it and he will be rewarded for a job well done and money is not the object. But if he decides one day that he would like to do something different I will not get all butt hurt and cry, trash or smear him for a job well done. If and when the time comes he no longer wants the head coach job at Bama I am positive there will be plenty out there who will and hopefully that person will be successful.

This angst over coach Saban is really a non-issue to me. I know for a fact that one day there will be someone else coaching Alabama and if I am still around when that happens that person will have my full support. But as for right now that person is coach Nick Saban the head coach of the greatest football dynasty in this century! :)

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005

I've never understood when folks come into large sums of money, why do they chance losing a large portion of it, by investing most of it on stuff that may never pay back..I would put my money in the bank after I buy me a house & cars for my family..

And then pay the monthly bills with money I make from my job..Scratch that about putting it in the bank.. I wouldn't trust the banks either, I would have me a safe built in my home, where I would keep most of my money in cash, in case the banking system fails & goes under..LOL
I think the idea is that during times of high inflation and cheap dollars (low interest), you take your money and spend/invest it in things that hold value such as real estate. Then you borrow more money and invest that, too. Inflation would shred the value of the debt, but not affect the asset. Hence the need for the debt, in order to protect net worth.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010

That is not without risk at all, considering the current prices of gold, and, when precious metals crash, the recovery period tends to be measured in decades.
Indeed, this is true. Commodity investing is much like taking the stairs up and the elevator down.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

I think the idea is that during times of high inflation and cheap dollars (low interest), you take your money and spend/invest it in things that hold value such as real estate. Then you borrow more money and invest that, too. Inflation would shred the value of the debt, but not affect the asset. Hence the need for the debt, in order to protect net worth.
I'm gonna run right out and invest in me some debt!:biggrin:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Could part of the negotiations be about student tickets? Could Saban be using this to force the admin into reevaluating the allotment of tickets and how they are arranged in the stadium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

We are back here again? Really? Folks throwing Saban back under the bus - again?

*sigh*

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007

May I ask an honest question? Let's presume the contract is on CNS desk, waiting on his signature. What is the hang up on signing? I mean, could CNS sign but still retire/leave? What is the buyout $.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

We are back here again? Really? Folks throwing Saban back under the bus - again?

*sigh*
I'll be the first to throw Saban under the bus, if he leaves for Texas. He, like any professional has a right to retire. I'd be unhappy with a move to the NFL, but I think that would mitigate a lot of the issues.

But, nothing I've heard indicates he intends to break his word. May be he's considering it, but to put that in another context, that's like a married man looking at another woman and have some sort of desire. That alone isn't reason enough to judge in my book, the key is if you behave responsibly or irresponsibly in that scenario.
May I ask an honest question? Let's presume the contract is on CNS desk, waiting on his signature. What is the hang up on signing? I mean, could CNS sign but still retire/leave? What is the buyout $.
Well, to be clear it doesn't appear a literal contract is on his desk. We've heard terms like commitment, agreed in principle, etc... but it doesn't actually seem finalized to the point that there's even an actual contract to sign.

The hang up seems to be that CNS is weighing his options. That's a really open statement, and it would seem to include the (small) possibility of leaving. But, that also could mean every implication of the contract. This will be his strongest bargaining position ever, if there's anything he absolutely has to have, or really wants, he needs to get it in this contract or he might lose some of his leverage in the future.

Yes, CNS could leave or retire even if he signs this contract (assuming it's like the last ones). That's one thing that to me, leans toward his staying. If he really planned on leaving, he could have just signed what ever Alabama offered and then still left. The thought and attention going into this contract, to me at least, indicates that he's thinking more about the long-term implications of the contract at Alabama than anything else.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Sending a p-mail is a conflict of interest? :confused:

Should this move to NS where we can better discuss the pros and cons of commodities investments?

Will this thread get any weirder, causing its demise and send it to the ever growing graveyard of Saban to Texas threads?

Finally, Mack Brown is still the coach at Texas, correct?

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al

Personally I am perfectly happy with the way the situation is being handled. Saban is out working hard and recruiting for Alabama and is not worried about it at the moment. When the dead period ends he will come back home and then state that he has no intention to leave for the 50th time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

George W Bush is from Texas. I believe he's a Texas fan. He's recruiting Saban to come to Texas by writing encouraging notes to Alabama's place kicker.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA

Sending a p-mail is a conflict of interest? :confused:

Should this move to NS where we can better discuss the pros and cons of commodities investments?

Will this thread get any weirder, causing its demise and send it to the ever growing graveyard of Saban to Texas threads?

Finally, Mack Brown is still the coach at Texas, correct?
Yup. He's as much the coach of Texas as Mike Shula was the coach of Alabama in early November 2006.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

Personally I am perfectly happy with the way the situation is being handled. Saban is out working hard and recruiting for Alabama and is not worried about it at the moment. When the dead period ends he will come back home and then state that he has no intention to leave for the 50th time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, I wish some of our "fans" trusted CNS & what he says as much as the 17 & 18 year olds he has meet with the last 2 weeks.

Also, I really think this is all gonna blow up in TX face. They have put out what they will pay.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

Just listened to Finebaum on Mike and Mike. He is still confident Saban stays, but says it's not as laughable an idea as it was a couple of weeks ago. He feels like I do that this will go until TX makes an offer. That allows Bama to counter offer, or to just use the offer as leverage for whatever it is he wants for the program. It makes business sense to approach it this way. It's not easy on the fan base, but if Brown and Beilma are making 5 mill plus what is Saban really worth?

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

Well first we can't presume something we know as fact is not true. Sexton & the University has said their is no "contract on his desk" waiting to be signed but he does not have a buy out, never has never will. So if when or whenever he decieded to go no buyout would be in play. Remember he signed a new contract last March, mostly got Asst Coaches raises.

If he retires tomorrow he owes us nothing.

Some on here think he would do that, I say it's absurd.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.