Saban signs multi-year extension w/Bama, shorthorns on suicide watch...

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Re: New Discussion Thread on Possible Coaching Changes...

May I ask an honest question? Let's presume the contract is on CNS desk, waiting on his signature. What is the hang up on signing? I mean, could CNS sign but still retire/leave? What is the buyout $.
I'd like to ask a favor from everyone on the thread… spend some time reading the pages you've missed prior to posting. It has been made clear there is NOT a contract sitting on CNS's desk. They are in "negotiations"… and furthermore, contracts like this are not typically done via the paper route… they're done electronically.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I listen to Rick and Bubba every morning when I am dropping my son off at school. Some of their commentary I don't like--that is for NS board, though--but today, they had some very good commentary about this whole situation. Basic premise of the conversation was about INTEGRITY and how CNS worked hard to get that back after the Miami fiasco. Like R&B, I just don't see him going through all of that again, especially after he has been here so long.

Another excellent point that was made was the fact that we have a recruiting dead period looming and EVERY good coach is on the road, busting their tails, to secure a good class. The fact that our coach is working tirelessly to give us another #1 recruiting class shows that he is invested in this program and that he isn't going anywhere. Next week, or whenever that dead period starts, this will all be taken care of. What is most important to CNS right now are the RECRUITS, not the contract! I'm okay with that!!

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

In theory I agree with you. But the reality of it is this. College football in America has become an obsession. An obsession by the fans, the media, the business world, the universities etc. Fans will donate millions to the university BECAUSE OF the success of the football program. Colleges will pay coaches salaries their educational staff can only dream about because the college knows the millions (and some cases hundreds of millions) they will bring above and beyond what they've paid the coach. That money doesn't just benefit the football program. My sister is an alum of LSU and was there shortly after the national title was won back in 2003. She said all of a sudden classrooms started getting upgrades, they started getting all new technological equipment, the campus started getting upgrades etc. Do you think it was a coincidence all these upgrades happened relative to when LSU's football program started booming?

The entire college benefits. Not just sports or the football program. If Alabama refused to get involved in these high salary bidding wars for football coaches and decided "We're simply not going going to be a part of that anymore", settled on a mediocre coach and the program started to settle in at winning 8-9 games every year and a decent bowl appearance. Would the college cease to exist? NO! Of course not. But I can tell you the college would suffer from the extra monies no longer being available to them from the success of the football team. You can guarantee the upgrades across campus and in the classrooms would more than likely not happen. If I'm a college president I look at the obsession with football and the amount of money it stands to bring in and can't help but take a big picture view and want to tap into that revenue stream to benefit my entire institution.
I hear what you are saying, but we are not going to pay a coach $10M a year. That is a ridiculously high sum that the university can't afford and there is no reason to pay someone that much. If Texas wants to pay him that much and money is the only thing that matters, then go to Texas.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

I just hope it wasn't solved by somebody who thinks they now own Saban and want him somewhere other than Alabama.
That would be the only situation that I might be frightened over. Although a great team of lawyers could be assembled to fight that sort of extortion (if that's the correct legal term).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I hear what you are saying, but we are not going to pay a coach $10M a year. That is a ridiculously high sum that the university can't afford and there is no reason to pay someone that much. If Texas wants to pay him that much and money is the only thing that matters, then go to Texas.
You know the AD clears more profit than that annually, right? The AD profited more than $20M last year alone.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

Well, get used to it, because within our lifetimes, we will see College football coaches make $10M+. And yes, the big schools can afford it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I believe they can. I actually believe it would cost us more than $10/year if we stuck our heads in the sand and decided we're not going to do anything and Texas can pay him what they want but we're washing our hands of it. From a monetary standpoint that would be shooting yourself in the rear end.

It's not about money, but what money can do for your college. Realistically the university could easily take a stand and make an effort to reduce the size of the football program to concentrate more on academics. But what do you think would be the consequences of doing that?

Last edited:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

As more comes out on this situation, the picture is becoming clearer and clearer.

The folks in Austin are various levels of crazy. They are in disarray right now with several factions, too many blowhards and "sources" who want to act like they're in the know but they're not. They're in the process of firing their President and all sorts of changes/mayhem. A portion of them are all rabid for Saban. Others are still backing Brown. Still others would like to go a different route, but they're making a play for Saban. Their interest has provided leverage for Saban, but it doesn't appear he's truly interested in leaving - he may have looked at it, but is probably still convinced to just stay where he is like he and his wife promised for months now.

We have been mislead by the media and hacks (big shock) and are just NOW beginning to see the picture getting clearer.
If you didn't catch it when I posted last night, among UT supporters there is ONE thing which would unite them - having CNS be their coach. The minority who support Mack Brown have to be convinced by the majority (who want MB ousted) that CNS IS going to come in order to pull the trigger on MB. In many ways, you can say that Saban is the ONLY answer at UT for all the PTB. As such, there are going to be leaks (by the majority) which will make it appear CERTAIN that CNS is headed to UT. When UT officials (aka - folks on side of Brown/Powers) finally own up to the fact that MB is out, you'll know the majority has persuaded the minority that CNS is coming… whether they actually believe their stories or not. ;)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

No disrespect to Coach Battle, but I sure wish Coach Moore was still around. I think CNS really respected him and valued his opinions and more improtantly, thought of him as a friend.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

That is the one in Baton Rouge. Sounds like someone helped them find financing in a time when CRE financing is tough. I am still not sure what happened with the Houston deal. Looks like Saban owned 49.5% of a deal that was ~$22MM short and filed for bankruptcy protection 2 years ago.
From everything that's been said, it would appear that both of these debts have been retired in the past - so they're a non-factor in this equation unless UT is planning on "replacing" some of these failed investments.

theshow4jsu_13

3rd Team
Apr 13, 2007
Birmingham, AL
www.myspace.com

I've been monitoring these thread and have a few thoughts:

1. Thanks mods for keeping it clean and relatively rumor-free.
2. If Gov. Perry has his pick on the board of regents and Perry is an aggie, why would he let his cronies approve the hire of Saban, who would turn Texas into a title contender in just a few years?
3. There are other things to worry about in this life like how am I paying my mortgage and buying Christmas presents?
4. Alabama football will be fine with or without Saban. We may have a down period again, but if you've followed college football for a while, you know everything is cyclical and that we can't be this good forever.
5. Roll Tide.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

2. If Gov. Perry has his pick on the board of regents and Perry is an aggie, why would he let his cronies approve the hire of Saban, who would turn Texas into a title contender in just a few years?
3. There are other things to worry about in this life like how am I paying my mortgage and buying Christmas presents?
4. Alabama football will be fine with or without Saban. We may have a down period again, but if you've followed college football for a while, you know everything is cyclical and that we can't be this good forever.
5. Roll Tide.
"Cyclical" can mean 17 years.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

I don't think we would have a "down period", the cupboard is stocked!

5. Roll Tide.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA

I believe they can. I actually believe it would cost us more than $10/year if we stuck our heads in the sand and decided we're not going to do anything and Texas can pay him what they want but we're washing our hands of it. From a monetary standpoint that would be shooting yourself in the rear end.
Completely agree. For us to attract a top-level replacement we'd instantly be in the $4-5M range. We'd have a massive setback in terms of coaching turnover, recruiting, direction, marketing, etc. And all of that to add risk of unknown future results compared to the fairly predictable success Saban has and should continue to have. If you figure that 5% of your net revenues are at risk due to a change like this you're right in the ballpark of saying the premium above the base required is $5M netting a salary figure close to if not at $10M.

I'm not saying it's fantastic, or that we should be happy about it, but the economic, business and financial analysis would show he's clearly worth $10M. If the market backs it up, why shouldn't he ask the University for that?

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama

If you didn't catch it when I posted last night, among UT supporters there is ONE thing which would unite them - having CNS be their coach. The minority who support Mack Brown have to be convinced by the majority (who want MB ousted) that CNS IS going to come in order to pull the trigger on MB. In many ways, you can say that Saban is the ONLY answer at UT for all the PTB. As such, there are going to be leaks (by the majority) which will make it appear CERTAIN that CNS is headed to UT. When UT officials (aka - folks on side of Brown/Powers) finally own up to the fact that MB is out, you'll know the majority has persuaded the minority that CNS is coming… whether they actually believe their stories or not. ;)
So they're using the "Saban is coming" and convincing the MB supporters that he is - many of them knowing they're full of crap and he probably isn't - but it's a means to an end. If Saban actually comes, then wonderful. But regardless, they're getting a new coach and a new University president and the changes they seek. Perhaps it was the only way to get it done, because it looks like most of the administration officials were backing Brown (Powers in particular) and they could have fought over that for a long time and never gotten anywhere. But THIS way, they get rid of both and move forward. Politics....:rolleyes:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.