Saban signs multi-year extension w/Bama, shorthorns on suicide watch...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Re: New Discussion Thread on Possible Coaching Changes...

Such insecurity from Crimson Tide fans and supporters is often rather baffling . Alabama is the most accomplished D1 program in NCAA history . Why would anyone actually believe CNS would just hop up and walk away from Alabama for ANY other college job ?
You say that and yet it's been made clear that he's at least entertaining the thought. So it may be that we're entertaining the thought because Coach Saban himself is entertaining the thought.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Saban should hold out for a Gazillion dollars.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Just read a Chris Low article on ESPN talking about the fact that Alabama has not actually offered a CONTRACT, but an "offer of commitment" to make him the highest paid college football coach. So he hasn't had a contract to sign.

Here is the last line of the article:

"Sources told Low that while Saban has been recruiting he is not presently involved in the process of a contract extension -- and added that Saban is not worried about the deal."

Interesting...

Here's the linkage:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...e-offer-nick-saban-another-contract-extension
So there's no huge contract actually sitting on his on desk where the University is literally begging him to please not leave us? But Paul Finebaum said...

Of course, tomorrow it could be reported that there actually was.

Last edited:

HitMan54

1st Team
Jan 29, 2007
Only the Government Knows

Being a business man, successful coach and very smart person....he has an agent that's going to listen to whoever is interested in hiring him.

In turn his agent will go back an forth between schools etc.

People forget that this man adores his wife and she says they will end their career at BAMA.
Their daughter graduated from BAMA and he will soon be a grandfather.

He will get a large raise and finish his legacy with memories of his growing grandchild and Championships at BAMA.

WHO would turn down more money?

The TIDE will ROLL again my friends!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So there's no huge contract actually sitting on his on desk where the University is literally begging him to please not leave us? But Paul Finebaum said...

Of course, tomorrow it could be reported that there actually was.
Paul isn't the only one that has said that. Jess and Earle have said - or hinted - at the same.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Paul isn't the only one that has said that. Jess and Earle have said - or hinted - at the same.
No they did not. Jess' article said Saban and UA was close on a new extension. At no time did either of them say that Saban and UA had a contract that was sitting on his desk that Saban was refusing to sign, unless I missed it. There is a big difference. That article says there were talks of a new deal, but no formal offer has been made at this time.

I guess time will tell if this one proves to be true.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

IMO, this will continue to intensify into the weekend... and I think PS verified that. Two things in play here that seem to be very apparent. One, there is a LOT of information/misinformation coming from UT people. Go back in the locked threads and read Quixoft's post and you will see what I mean. Anything coming from the school (UT) is going to be slanted in favor of Brown and Powers. Anything coming from other UT sources is most likely against Brown/Powers and is for Saban. From what I've heard, the ONLY thing that would pacify the Brown supporters among the UT boosters is to know Saban would be their next coach. Thus, anything coming from non-school sources (boosters, trustees, etc.) us going to likely be exagerrated. End result... you can't trust ANYTHING coming from the UT side right now.

Two, with this having gone this far/long, it's safe to say Saban wants SOMETHING from UA that he can't get without some major leverage (I.e. Official UT offer). Whether that's money, control issues, things for his assistants, etc., there is something out there driving this series of events. Both he and Sexton have been quiet since the story leaked out there was interest on Saban's part... and both of them could have easily squashed some of this mess had they wished. Since they haven't, there's something there that Saban views as legitimate. Also, the timeline from both sides are closely connected - I don't believe in coincidences.

If this is indeed the case, it's interesting that the two parties in this may eventually end up with what they really want. For Saban, that will be "x" from UA (whatever "x" is). For UT folks (majority who want change) it will be the ousting of Brown and Powers and a search for a good replacement. Both sides will have successfully "used" the other side to get their wish.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Earle...an "IQ duel" would be awesome...but I am on your team...I did mention, I believe in my 2nd post in this thread (maybe 3rd), that Sexton would "shop the Houston Texans" (yes, I quoted myself) and now ESPN just
mentioned that the "Houston Texans" will be shopped by Sexton on the behalf of Saban. I do not give a shart about being right...just passing on what I know.
OK, it's just my understanding that Sexton isn't really doing any shopping right now. All of it is coming from the other end...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Even the tables are bigger in Texas.
The numbers keep growing. When "Jesus Shuttlesworth" was pushing it on his site, it was a paltry 20 million. I've been told that the amount that the Saban's are down on their investments has been wildly exaggerated, and a large part of it has already been covered by Bama boosters...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

No they did not. Jess' article said Saban and UA was close on a new extension. At no time did either of them say that Saban and UA had a contract that was sitting on his desk that Saban was refusing to sign, unless I missed it. There is a big difference. That article says there were talks of a new deal, but no formal offer has been made at this time.

I guess time will tell if this one proves to be true.
This is true. I'm not even sure where the "contract extension sitting on his desk" came from. Negotiations are ongoing at this time. There's nothing waiting to be signed...

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

The numbers keep growing. When "Jesus Shuttlesworth" was pushing it on his site, it was a paltry 20 million.
Plays very well with what I mentioned earlier... I expect it's going to grow even larger from the UT sources. The bigger the losses, the more interested Saban SHOULD be in going to Austin... because they can not only "bail him out", but set him up with enough to "replace" the losses.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

IMO, this will continue to intensify into the weekend... and I think PS verified that. Two things in play here that seem to be very apparent. One, there is a LOT of information/misinformation coming from UT people. Go back in the locked threads and read Quixoft's post and you will see what I mean. Anything coming from the school (UT) is going to be slanted in favor of Brown and Powers. Anything coming from other UT sources is most likely against Brown/Powers and is for Saban. From what I've heard, the ONLY thing that would pacify the Brown supporters among the UT boosters is to know Saban would be their next coach. Thus, anything coming from non-school sources (boosters, trustees, etc.) us going to likely be exagerrated. End result... you can't trust ANYTHING coming from the UT side right now.

Two, with this having gone this far/long, it's safe to say Saban wants SOMETHING from UA that he can't get without some major leverage (I.e. Official UT offer). Whether that's money, control issues, things for his assistants, etc., there is something out there driving this series of events. Both he and Sexton have been quiet since the story leaked out there was interest on Saban's part... and both of them could have easily squashed some of this mess had they wished. Since they haven't, there's something there that Saban views as legitimate. Also, the timeline from both sides are closely connected - I don't believe in coincidences.

If this is indeed the case, it's interesting that the two parties in this may eventually end up with what they really want. For Saban, that will be "x" from UA (whatever "x" is). For UT folks (majority who want change) it will be the ousting of Brown and Powers and a search for a good replacement. Both sides will have successfully "used" the other side to get their wish.
There's no doubt that it will absolutely intensify when Brown is official out. I've never believed anything would happen on Saban's end until at least after Saturday, because I cannot see him making any move (besides possibly signing the contract that may or may not have ever existed) because of being at the Heisman ceremony with AJ. Even I believed he was going to leave, I would not think he'd show up (or not show up) at the Heisman ceremony with AJ as Texas' coach. Not gonna happen, IMO.

I just wish people would calm the heck down and stop grandstanding about giving CNS an ultimatum to take our offer or get out, and talking about all the respect they are losing for him for strong-arming UA when we don't know all the specifics yet.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

I just wish people would calm the heck down and stop grandstanding about giving CNS an ultimatum to take our offer or get out, and talking about all the respect they are losing for him for strong-arming UA when we don't know all the specifics yet.
To be honest, some of the "strong-arming" that Saban did when he first came were things which needed done to help us become successful. Who's to say that isn't the case again? If it's similar, its not easy on fans... but if it's needed, it's worth the uneasiness.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

This is true. I'm not even sure where the "contract extension sitting on his desk" came from. Negotiations are ongoing at this time. There's nothing waiting to be signed...
I'm glad to hear you say that.

To my knowledge, the "contract sitting on his desk" thing came from Finebaum. That's where I heard it first. Since that came out, people have considered that fact, and have been freaking out and screaming "the contract has been sitting there (X) days and Saban won't sign it!". That has turned into a major bashing point for CNS, and it was never even true.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I've never understood when folks come into large sums of money, why do they chance losing a large portion of it, by investing most of it on stuff that may never pay back..I would put my money in the bank after I buy me a house & cars for my family..

And then pay the monthly bills with money I make from my job..Scratch that about putting it in the bank.. I wouldn't trust the banks either, I would have me a safe built in my home, where I would keep most of my money in cash, in case the banking system fails & goes under..LOL

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

That came from a certain bald-headed pot-stirrer at ESPN.

Just google saban table finebaum and several sites come up but I didn't want to link any here.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.