Saban signs multi-year extension w/Bama, shorthorns on suicide watch...

bamaabw

Suspended
Dec 9, 2013
Re: New Discussion Thread on Possible Coaching Changes...

So I guess the only question is - does he go down easy or put up a fight?
Mack Brown and Bill powers are VERY good friends and there has been talk of possible collusion regarding Mack's salary. If Mack is gone, it is because Powers was told he will keep his job ONLY if he fires Mack...

TideLegacy

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2005
Dallas, TX

I don't think Kirk's comments were literal when he said "I know Saban as good/well as anyone" not meaning like they are best buddies or anything. I think he meant that he has spent enough time with him, talked to him enough, knows and understands him well enough from their interactions, that he knows Saban as good/well as anyone would/could that actually knows and spends time with him in person, not some internet dweebs, radio hosts, tv jock-sniffers, etc. and based on that (in Herbies opinion) he said what he said. And I agree with him. The last few years Kirk has probably spent many hours with Coach Saban on set, in the trailer, on campus doing interview pieces, etc.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Mack Brown and Bill powers are VERY good friends and there has been talk of possible collusion regarding Mack's salary. If Mack is gone, it is because Powers was told he will keep his job ONLY if he fires Mack...
I think so too - but I have a feeling Mack will feel very betrayed by Powers and could decide to make it as uncomfortable for Texas as he possibly can.

atlbama

2nd Team
Nov 18, 2005
Dunwoody, GA

This quote makes me feel better if AJ is quoted accurately.... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ron-nick-saban-told-me-hes-staying-at-alabama

"I messed with Coach, (saying) he's getting too old to start up again somewhere else," McCarron said. "He told me he's not leaving. And I know Miss Terry (Saban's wife) well enough; she runs that house. And she's not allowing coach to leave either. I think he'll be at the University of Alabama for a little while."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I may be crazy, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mack Brown is still the Texas coach next year.
There's a warped sort of logic to it to.

"Are you sure we can get Saban?
No
Ok, we'll try again next year
"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I may be crazy, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mack Brown is still the Texas coach next year.
I don't want to read too much into the decision to keep Powers, but you could be correct. I don't see someone like Powers just accepting an edict that he fire his best friend or get fired. He is very old. He has no reason to stay if they asked that of him. If he is staying then it could mean a few things. The ones that jump off the page are:

1. Mack is staying
2. Mack has agreed to resign
3. Saban has agreed to accept the job and Powers was involved

I know that #3 is the least likely, but it makes the list.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Fear? How would that be fearful for us? Just curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...
Recycle and repeat the same thing next year we have for the last 2-3

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Gotcha. I would think if everything calms down and Coach Saban is wearing Crimson next year (as I believe he will), he would be even more likely to retire here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY

From the outside of the Texas Football bubble looking in, it seems as if it is all but certain that Mack is gone. Judging by the attitudes/ideas being bounced around on the Texas forums, if he is not we could see an open revolt by UT fans. ESPN is reporting he is expected to step down and CNS and other names are being floated. You simply do not return after that, folks. At this point, I think there would be riots if he stayed. When it is all said and done, I think the point of no return for Mack, came when CNS's name, either accurately or inaccurately, was associated with the job by the media.

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN

Everything I have read claims that Sexton says Texas is the only place Saban would leave Alabama for. It's also one of the only schools I know of that could outbid Bama. I would be shocked if he ever seriously considered a return to the No Fun League. His MO doesn't fit in there. If he doesn't go now, I am exceptionally confident that he will retire at Alabama.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Everything I have read claims that Sexton says Texas is the only place Saban would leave Alabama for. It's also one of the only schools I know of that could outbid Bama. I would be shocked if he ever seriously considered a return to the No Fun League. His MO doesn't fit in there. If he doesn't go now, I am exceptionally confident that he will retire at Alabama.
Just in an effort to follow this line of thinking:

If he stays for the right reasons, I agree. If he and Mack stay because they lost control of the story, not so much. The things is, if they both stay, we will not know which it was.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

.....it appears that Mack Brown has confirmed that he did indeed take a deep breath at 5:24 this afternoon.....but would not confirm as to whether he exhaled or not......

More to come.....

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Right, and the comments above were based on the on a fear that Mack brown could be back next year. If he was, we would deal with Saban to Ut again next year.
Best scenario is Mack is canned, Saban stays, they get their coach, and close the deal forever.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.