Mandatory time between plays as a possibility with the HUNH?

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
A question. If the HUNH offense begins to take over the game due to the defense not being able to call plays in an orderly fashion and radically lopsides the gamee, can you envision a new rule that caps the speed? Maybe a set number of seconds or even the defense having a say when the ball is snapped? I do. They have done things in the past to even the playing field, but anyone who watched the SECCG saw a style of football that could become the norm. The coach is the puppet master and the players run sprints all game.

Will it be neutralized by normal means, adopted as 21st century football norm, continue to be a one of many offenses, or will rules be put in play. It can be a little reckless.

But young fans may like it. Old timers from the 60's NBA had a hard time getting adjusted to the new fast breaking dunking ABA ball that the NBA finally succumb to with Dr. J. Watching a 1960's football game does not look outdated like with the NBA, (but are they better teams). Are we just headed that way? Fast break football? Either you join or get left behind because of the huge differences in approaches. Methodical vs chaos.

Will never forget Coach Sanderson trying to play slow tempo ball against Loyola Marymount, when players like Horry, Sprewell and James Robinson could have gone mano to mano. Different subject.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Re: Mandatory time between plays as a possability with the HUNH?

A question. If the HUNH offense begins to take over the game due to the defense not being able to call plays in an orderly fashion and radically lopsides the gamee, can you envision a new rule that caps the speed? Maybe a set number of seconds or even the defense having a say when the ball is snapped? I do. They have done things in the past to even the playing field, but anyone who watched the SECCG saw a style of football that could become the norm. The coach is the puppet master and the players run sprints all game.

Will it be neutralized by normal means, adopted as 21st century football norm, continue to be a one of many offenses, or will rules be put in play. It can be a little reckless.

But young fans may like it. Old timers from the 60's NBA had a hard time getting adjusted to the new fast breaking dunking ABA ball that the NBA finally succumb to with Dr. J. Watching a 1960's football game does not look outdated like with the NBA, (but are they better teams). Are we just headed that way? Fast break football? Either you join or get left behind because of the huge differences in approaches. Methodical vs chaos.

Will never forget Coach Sanderson trying to play slow tempo ball against Loyola Marymount, when players like Horry, Sprewell and James Robinson could have gone mano to mano. Different subject.
I don't think there would have to be a rule change. The refs can, if they want to, control when the ball is ready for play. A ref stands over the ball before each play so if they want to wait a second or two longer I don't what would stop them.

As for the Loyola Marymount game, I'll never forget that one. Wimp blew that game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Simple answer. Enforce the rules you have and ensure the officials aren't catering to the pace of the offense. There are so many penalties such as illegal substitution, receivers not coming set, illegal procedure etc. because the referees are too busy trying to hurry their pace up to accommodate the offense. They should go about their own pace within reason and context of the game and not worry about the offense.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman

As for the Loyola Marymount game, I'll never forget that one. Wimp blew that game.
I'm with you. That team had the talent to win it all. His most stubborn moment.

I would be in favor of a imposed time interval. Without that it would the refs be consistent? Techmo Bowl got it right allowing the defense to determine when they were ready. Both sides got to call a play and say when ready!

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011

I think it is up to the referee or whoever is in charge of the officiating crew to make sure everyone in his crew is ready for every play, and that the ball is not to be put in play until each member of the crew is in position.

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia

I think it is up to the referee or whoever is in charge of the officiating crew to make sure everyone in his crew is ready for every play, and that the ball is not to be put in play until each member of the crew is in position.
you and BamaBuzzard hit the nail on the head - justenforce the rules now in place - use what you have.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Agreed on enforcing existing rules; that would help tremendously. I also think the refs should have to be 100% in place prior to ball being ready. I've seen games where the refs aren't even ready yet - that should never, ever happen.

The only other thing that I think could be considered would be a rule to require the play being called in from the sideline prior to the team lining up. I hate the whole rush up to the line in formation and then everyone look over to the sideline to get the call crap. That would at least force some hesitation in the game while the QB was getting the call from the sideline before the players get to the line.

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL

Simple answer. Enforce the rules you have and ensure the officials aren't catering to the pace of the offense. There are so many penalties such as illegal substitution, receivers not coming set, illegal procedure etc. because the referees are too busy trying to hurry their pace up to accommodate the offense. They should go about their own pace within reason and context of the game and not worry about the offense.
This is exactly what needs to happen - enforce the rules. Hurry up teams take advantage of the ref's being rushed. There were numerous times when Auburn's line and wide outs were not set for the required second before the ball was snapped. As well as their tackles being set to far back to be considered on the line.

CmdrThor

1st Team
Oct 29, 2008
Marietta, GA

It seems like the opposite is occurring, especially in the Big 12. This year the Big 12 added an 8th official on the field whose sole responsibility is to get the ball set and ready for play as quickly as possible. This relieves the umpire of that duty so he can be in position, and it doesn't really matter if that 8th official is in position because he has no other primary responsibilities. I don't think you will find much success waiting on rules to slow down the HUNH offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 8th official in other conferences next year as well.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland

What about 2minute drills?

I suppose that if the offense is set but the defense isn't the game and play clocks could be stopped, but wouldn't that just be weird and difficult to manage?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

Why? Why should there be restrictions that limit how quickly a team can run their plays? What's next - restricting the size of the OL for teams that don't run HUNH? It's not fair to the defense, and it's unsafe. Your guys are too big. If you run this style of offense you can't have any linemen who weigh more than 300 lbs.

The HUNH is a viable strategy. Teams just need to figure out how to defend it. I'm not crazy about it but I don't think it should be handicapped because teams are scoring too many points.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I believe the issue is rules enforcement. I believe Auburn got away with procedure and lineman down field calls this year because the refs are not prepared. In my opinion the ref that controls the snap count should control the pace. He may not have to allow defensive substitutions but the ref's needs to make sure his crew is ready and not too winded to think.

If it were up to me, I'd outlaw any non huddled offense except for the last 2 minutes of the half. I just don't like this basketball version of the game. I think its cowardly.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

i could see them limiting the # of HUNH's per game (say 20 offensive plays) but it will never get ruled out of football. I'd also think it will take a string of injuries that would have been prevented with adequate recovery time until anyone even approaches it

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland

I believe the issue is rules enforcement. I believe Auburn got away with procedure and lineman down field calls this year because the refs are not prepared. In my opinion the ref that controls the snap count should control the pace. He may not have to allow defensive substitutions but the ref's needs to make sure his crew is ready and not too winded to think.

If it were up to me, I'd outlaw any non huddled offense except for the last 2 minutes of the half. I just don't like this basketball version of the game. I think its cowardly.
If you don't allow it in the rest of the game how can you allow it in the last two minutes, a score in the last 2 minutes is probably more critical than at any other time in the game. If it makes the rules unenforceable fair enough, but why would you then decide that it's ok not to enforce the rules because the clock is running down?

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"

Did not realize that the Big Twelve was utilizing an extra official to spot the ball for play. I like that idea. I suppose that he holds the start of the play up until the umpire gives signal that his crew is in place and ready for action to commence? That has been my gripe about this offense, that the officials were not ready and in position to do their job.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Well, the referees have proven THEY cannot handle the speed, so they definitely need mandatory time to gather themselves. They make WAY too many mistakes when they're trying to rush.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Everyone keeps saying, just enforce the rules. Y'all do realize that we are talking about SEC officials, right? They will never apply logic to this, so the missed calls will continue.

Last edited:

CmdrThor

1st Team
Oct 29, 2008
Marietta, GA

Did not realize that the Big Twelve was utilizing an extra official to spot the ball for play. I like that idea. I suppose that he holds the start of the play up until the umpire gives signal that his crew is in place and ready for action to commence? That has been my gripe about this offense, that the officials were not ready and in position to do their job.
It is the referee that determines the crew is in place, and also holds the snap if the offense substituted and thus the defense is allowed to substitute. But if no substitutions occur, the 8th official moves off the ball very quickly. His position is in the backfield on the opposite side of the referee (where the umpire is in the NFL now).

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

This is what I was saying the other day. The officials cannot keep up. To do so they really have 3 options:

1 - Slow the game down with a rule change (not a big fan of this)
2 - Slow the game down by having the official that sets the ball keep the offense from snapping it until all officials are set and ready
3 - Add additional officials - may even take 3 or 4 of them to truly be able to keep up with the pre-snap reads and maintain the hectic pace.

Personally I think CFB would probably prefer the 2nd option because of the additional cost involved with adding the officials.

If nothing is done - they might as well adopt arena or Canadian rules because right now the officials just cannot keep up with the pace of the game.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.