Link: Kevin Sumlin Gets New 6 Year, $30 Million Contract

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
I think Sumlin is going to be an excellent coach for aTm and don't fault them for locking him down. aTm is in a good position to challenge for the present-day preeminent college football program in Texas... But to take that step they need stability with the head coach. Now they have it.

texasaggie84

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2012
Danville, CA
You all shouldn't be surprised. Heck, we have a history of giving raises and extensions 2 years into a current contract. Has not worked out well for us yet. I think Sumlin may be the exception as he recruits so well but we may not have had a choice with the foolish money being thrown around these days. On another note, I sure hope CNS stays in Tuscaloosa.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
That's a lot of money for a guy who lost six times in two years, and went 8-4 even with arguably the best QB and WR in the country.

Of course, in fairness to A&M, three million per year is a middle-of-the-road salary for SEC coaches these days, and although you can certainly be a bit skeptical of what Sumlin has done to date, I don't think there's any real doubt that he otherwise won't have very serious suitors from other college programs, as well as the NFL. For better or for worse, they had to pay him a very big deal to keep him around, even if he's earned it or not.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Sumlin goes 8-4 and gets a raise, Mack does the same and gets run out of town.
Humans are hard to figure out, and they say the female specie is the hardest to figure out, I disagree with that conclusion, I think humans associated with college football is the hardest to figure out..And That's from us college football fans all the way up to the Presidents of our Universities..LOL

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Sumlin goes 8-4 and gets a raise, Mack does the same and gets run out of town.
Well, in fairness, had Mack gone 11-2 last year, won the Cotton Bowl, beat the national champion on the road, and had a Heisman winner at QB, he wouldn't be getting run out of town right now.

Also says quite a bit about the importance of age and future expectations. Sumlin is 49 and his best days are ahead of him; Mack is 62 and everyone agrees -- even his defenders -- that his best days are likely in the Young-and-McCoy past.

Last edited:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I'm starting to wonder if Mack Brown and Jimmy Sexton have an agreement to allow rumors of his resignation in order to improve his other clients' income with untenable buyouts, and then leave UTx without a head coach following the 2014 season with no good candidates available...

Mack gets more money, Sexton gets more money, and Mack screws over UTx in the process.

And I'm not sure whether to put this all in blue...

Last edited:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
It wasn't that long ago when the entire country raised a stink because National Championship winner Coach Saban got a $4mil/year contract. Now unproven coaches are making $1mil/year more than that. That's a big leap in a short time frame...

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Time will tell but I believe he is a good coach. He inherited Johnny but he also inherited that defense. If he can get a decent Defensive coordinator he will be just fine. There is only one Coach Saban so you can't expect everyone to win like he does. Coach Saban is Micheal Jordan. If he sticks around here he could end up being the GOAT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.