Let's discuss Bama's 2014 quarterback situation.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy with the whole "a black QB will never start here" line. It lures the elite black QBs away from Alabama. Schools weren't even universally recruiting Blake Sims as a QB out of high school...so I don't think it is an ultimatum against Alabama's desire to play a black QB.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
It is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy with the whole "a black QB will never start here" line. It lures the elite black QBs away from Alabama. Schools weren't even universally recruiting Blake Sims as a QB out of high school...so I don't think it is an ultimatum against Alabama's desire to play a black QB.

I can agree with this, but I would like to see it all the same. I'm tired of the stereotype hanging out there.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Prof isn't saying anyone on here is anti-Sims because of his race.
He definitely called out some as being anti-Sims. Why in the world anyone would be against any player on the team is beyond me. I heard way too much of that kind of crap years ago when Dubose was trying to coach the team.

If Sims isn't the best QB for the team he will not be the starter. Many players have been loyal to the program and stuck it out for their entire career without ever becoming a starter. This thread is an open discussion on who may win the QB position. Anyone that has given long odds on Sims becoming the starter has done so due to his lack of progression at the position without any hint of being anti-Sims.

It seems the QB position brings out the worst in some Alabama fans. To pull for Drake should not make someone anti-Yeldon.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He definitely called out some as being anti-Sims. Why in the world anyone would be against any player on the team is beyond me. I heard way too much of that kind of crap years ago when Dubose was trying to coach the team.

If Sims isn't the best QB for the team he will not be the starter. Many players have been loyal to the program and stuck it out for their entire career without ever becoming a starter. This thread is an open discussion on who may win the QB position. Anyone that has given long odds on Sims becoming the starter has done so due to his lack of progression at the position without any hint of being anti-Sims.

It seems the QB position brings out the worst in some Alabama fans. To pull for Drake should not make someone anti-Yeldon.
Again, he didn't say it was because of his race, which is what I was saying.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I hope Blake Sims can become our QB because if he could at least pass efficiently like McElroy and '11 McCarron then his running ability could make for something tough to defend with the OZR/IZR stuff.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Again, he didn't say it was because of his race, which is what I was saying.
My frustration is not aimed at you RTR91. The point I was trying to make was those that feel LDR or any other QB on our roster would be a better fit at QB next year does not make them anti-Sims.

I just don't like the term "anti-Sims"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I hope Blake Sims can become our QB because if he could at least pass efficiently like McElroy and '11 McCarron then his running ability could make for something tough to defend with the OZR/IZR stuff.
Exactly. His running ability allows him to not be near the passer like AJ was this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If BS could pass effectively then CNS would have let him pass in mop up duty. He let GMac and AJ pass when they were doing mop up duty. I don't think anyone here dislikes BS, but the most essential task of a QB is being able to throw the ball. If CNS hasn't let him do that in mop up, thats probably because he doesn't think he's fully capable. It's not a knock on BS, he's just not our best option at QB for next year. Nothing personal or racial or anything else.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I hope Sims get the start if Coker can't come, I see potential in him, if he can improve his arm, he's gonna be a threat.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Maybe CNS proves us all wrong and changes the offense to suit Sims ability to run. Kudos to him if he breaks out a more run oriented offense and we become less balanced. That is all great and wonderful if it works. I guess the Barn proved balance on offense is over rated if you can do one thing really, really well.

However, CNS's tract record is to run an attack that minimizes turnovers, runs the ball and sets up the pass to the tune of you don't really know what's coming (run 50% and pass 50%).

If Sims is the qb, I think we go heavier to the run and become less of a passing threat. It may happen, but I think it'll be going against what CNS does.

I'm not so much "anti-Sims" as I am "pro-CNS." ;)

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
More run will see our great receivers leaving. Blake has stayed, that's better than P Sims, but let's, let it work out if we have no one that can run our pro set, then we do what we have to, losing a few games.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
More run will see our great receivers leaving. Blake has stayed, that's better than P Sims, but let's, let it work out if we have no one that can run our pro set, then we do what we have to, losing a few games.
Can someone translate this?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Think he's saying we are built for the pro-set, balanced attack and that if we run anything else that means we didn't have the qb for it and he thinks we'll lose a few games.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My frustration is not aimed at you RTR91. The point I was trying to make was those that feel LDR or any other QB on our roster would be a better fit at QB next year does not make them anti-Sims.

I just don't like the term "anti-Sims"
If a person says they prefer LDR or Morris or someone else over Sims as the starter, would that not mean they are "anti-Sims" for the starting position? It's not saying they hate the kid or something.

If BS could pass effectively then CNS would have let him pass in mop up duty. He let GMac and AJ pass when they were doing mop up duty. I don't think anyone here dislikes BS, but the most essential task of a QB is being able to throw the ball. If CNS hasn't let him do that in mop up, thats probably because he doesn't think he's fully capable. It's not a knock on BS, he's just not our best option at QB for next year. Nothing personal or racial or anything else.
In 2007, Greg threw 9 passes.
In 2008, Greg threw 11 passes.
In 2010, AJ threw 48 passes.
In 2012, Blake threw 10 passes.
In 2013, Blake threw 29 passes.

Saban has let him throw the ball plenty of times.

Last edited:

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
My two cents: if he is eligible and fully recuperated, Coker will be the guy.

If not, I think early in the season you'll see a Sims/Del Rio tandem similar to how 2011 started with with McCarron/Sims. I expect Del Rio to quickly take over full-time in that scenario. I still think Blake will play situationally.
Am I the only one that sees this as far fetched? We have one of the best group of prospects in the country and two top 10's locked up for 2014 and 2015. On paper, I have never seen a more highly rated bunch. Del Rio being a walk-on is icing on the cake. No way, not next season.

Unless we have a radical shift in strategy, our next QB will start out as a game manager and branch from there. His primary role will be getting the ball to our playmaker's and passing just enough to keep the defense honest. Then he can take the next step. We do not need super man as our QB at Alabama, unless you want to waste talent. Coach Saban likes to bet $1 on 11 chicken houses rather than $11 on 1. Your odds of failure are minimized by spreading the responsibility.

My guess is that it is Del Rio's to lose. One of the Blue Chipper's like Bateman could catch on. No doubt we will all know first hand the reason, if Blake is not the starter. I am not sure Coach Saban realizes that a lot of fans assume he is the heir from playing time, and what they will think if he does not start. I really wish we could have seen Blake with the 1st team, or when not in prevent offense. I would imagine that his success rate at adding points was around 20%. We might get another public competition just for harmony sake, similar to what AJ winning the job.

Last edited:

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Nothing against Blake good guy, glad he is here, I have to think he would be like Star Jackson, with better run ability. Would like to see him being a great one but I just don't see it right now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.