Let's discuss Bama's 2014 quarterback situation.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
If Blake Sims is as good with the first stringers as RTO says then our offense could be more dangerous than ever because Sims has the ability to run.
Ehh, I dunno. If he could do everything AJ could do plus run, yeah, but I wouldn't bet that he can do that.

If it's Sims we'll have more turnovers, but we'll have some benefits too.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If Blake Sims is as good with the first stringers as RTO says then our offense could be more dangerous than ever because Sims has the ability to run.
Blake is a big question mark simply because he's never had a real opportunity to show his stuff, but I agree, if he can come through as a passer, he definitely adds a dangerous dimension to our offense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Ehh, I dunno. If he could do everything AJ could do plus run, yeah, but I wouldn't bet that he can do that.

If it's Sims we'll have more turnovers, but we'll have some benefits too.
The unknown is his development over the next nine months. Most seasons he's known he wasn't going to be the starter early on. But this offseason he has a real shot and more than likely has the inside track to bet he starter. So seeing that he has a realistic shot I bet his preparation will be off the charts.

Last edited:

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Saban has always played this position 'close to the vest,' and we will know more after spring, however from what I've seen Morris is the likely choice. Sims knows the offense and is a good athlete but he still is not where he needs to be in passing or reading defenses.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO, it starts and ends with CNS as to what type offense we employ. His background and approach to both offense and defense is built on an NFL model. In the NFL subs rarely play in normal game circumstances with the starters, hence Sims lack of playing time unless it was a Chattanooga or Ga State type game. The NFL model for defense is heavily package oriented, complex and having certain players for certain situations. As has been said this may have hurt us in the auburn and TAMU games. I am not being critical of any of this just saying this is his MO and it is hard to argue with its success over the past 7 seasons.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I'm curious to see how much PT Blake gets in the SB. I'm hoping AJ has a great 1st half and Blake can come in and we can get a look at the future.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Given that Sims abilities are not in true step with what we do normally offensively but does seem to have the ability to do some zone read stuff, I was wondering if it might be beneficial to move Sims back to RB? Honestly, I could see some interesting packages where he is the RB taking a handoff from Del Rio and being a RB that has the threat to run or pass. Normally you wouldnt play 2 QBs in the game at the same time but given that his skill set is not setup strictly for what we do offensively and he has only one year of eligibility left - I think CNS could make a lot of hay with him if we were to incorporate a package of plays into or normal offense that has him handling the ball at some point during the play.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
Del Rio has passed Morris and I would expect Morris to at least consider a transfer. Del Rio is an obvious coaches son. McElroy with a much higher ceiling athletically and arm wise.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Morris' only action (or any QB other than AJ and BS, for that matter) a couple of snaps in the UTC game? I found that odd b/c now he cannot transfer and play next year at a D1 school.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
regarding Coker; would he not have to sit out a yr if FSU does not grant full release?
Not necessarily. He is expected to graduate. The SEC allows graduates with 2+ years of eligibility remaining to play at a new school.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Morris' only action (or any QB other than AJ and BS, for that matter) a couple of snaps in the UTC game? I found that odd b/c now he cannot transfer and play next year at a D1 school.
He was a RS freshman this year anyway. Wouldn't matter.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I will be pulling for Sims, but know that Saban is going to run a pro-set offense and Blake is not quite 6 feet tall. Hard to have success at the QB position in your offense at that height. Still, I think that he has all of the tools. We'll have to see how he handles the leadership piece.

I think that the person who knows the offense and acts most like a leader is going to win this job. That is why AJ beat out Phillip Sims, IMO. They both had very similar stats in that first game, but AJ acted the part.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
RTO mentioned Blake being better with the 1's than he was with the 2's. Here are his pass plays. I'd need to go back and watch each game to see who exactly was on the field.

Va Tech:

1 pass, incomplete to DeAndrew White

Colorado State:

Pass to the right flat (IIRC, it was a swing/bubble screen pass) to Chris Black for a 14 yard TD. (Note: this was on 3rd and 4 after AJ had played the previous 7 plays in the drive.)

Ole Miss:

No pass plays

Georgia State:

Slant pass completed to Kevin Norwood for 26 yards.
Pass to the left flat incomplete to Harrison Jones.
Pass to the right flat incomplete to Harrison Jones.
Pass to the sideline completed to Harrison Jones for 12 yards.
Pass to the left flat completed to Malcolm Faciane for 8 yards.
Screen pass completed to Chris Black for 7 yards.
Screen pass completed to Chris Black for 16 yards.
Pass to the right flat completed to Malcolm Faciane for 6 yards.
Pass to the left flat completed to Chris Black for 10 yard TD.
Pass to the right flat completed to Chris Black for 14 yards.
Pass to the left flat completed to Parker Barrineau for 6 yards.
Pass to the sideline completed to Kurt Freitag for 11 yards.
Pass to the left flat completed to Ty Reed for 3 yards.
Pass to the left flat incomplete to Altee Tenpenny.
Pass to the right flat incomplete to Corey McCarron.
Slant pass completed to Chris Black for 6 yards.
Screen pass completed to Altee Tenpenny for 4 yards.
Screen pass completed to Chris Black for a yard.

Kentucky:

Pass completed to Parker Barrineau for 10 yards.

Arkansas:

Pass to the middle incomplete to Brian Vogler.
Sideline pass incomplete.
Slant pass incomplete to Amari Cooper.

Tennessee:

Screen pass incomplete to Altee Tenpenny

UT-Chattanooga:

Pass to the right flat completed to Kenny Bell for 7 yards.
Pass to the right flat incomplete to Kenny Bell.
Pass to the right flat incomplete to Dee Hart.
Pass to the left flat complete to Chris Black for 11 yards.

A few observations from these notes:
1. Blake LOVES Chris Black.
2. He likes to pass to the flats.
3. He likes to pass to the flats.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I will be pulling for Sims, but know that Saban is going to run a pro-set offense and Blake is not quite 6 feet tall. Hard to have success at the QB position in your offense at that height. Still, I think that he has all of the tools. We'll have to see how he handles the leadership piece.

I think that the person who knows the offense and acts most like a leader is going to win this job. That is why AJ beat out Phillip Sims, IMO. They both had very similar stats in that first game, but AJ acted the part.
Very key point, B1G. It is not Blake's fault that he is not 6'3", but it would make a lot of difference, I think. If he's going to pass successfully we are going to have to get him to the edge, which is not what our offense is designed to do since CNS has been here. Sadly, for that reason, I almost think Del Rio may win the job in the fall. Note: I'm going with the guys on campus and totally discounting an unnamed JUCO, the kid with the bad knee from FSU, etc. I think if Morris was the answer he'd have gotten a lot more reps this year.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Based on CNS mentioning that Del Rio was #3 says a lot and AJ has talked about him as well. I just can't see Sims as a viable QB since what would be the point of having these great young receivers if we're just going to run the ball. Sims doesn't have the arm to make the throws you want a QB to be able to make.

Anything can happen with one of the other QB's. You never know when the light bulb can go off and they get it and can deal with the speed of the game.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I'm not going to mention Coker yet until it's a done deal and he's on campus. Until then I'm not getting my hopes up.

Honestly I could see it being Del Rio with Sims coming in if Del Rio is in trouble during a game. I think Morris/Bateman battle it out for 3rd so far. I don't see McLeod being top 4 with this group at all.

Cornwell is a for sure redshirt even though he should be a good one.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I don't subscribe to any recruiting websites. Who is Jacob Coker and what is the deal with this guy?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.