Link: Nick Saban refutes Texas speculation

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10136999/nick-saban-alabama-crimson-tide-coach-refutes-speculated-links-texas-longhorns?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"The way this sort of got spun, it was a little bit more like, 'OK, he got a new contract at Alabama, so he's going to stay at Alabama instead of going to Texas,'" Saban told ESPN.com on Saturday. "I never considered going to Texas. That wasn't even a conversation.

"I knew that if Mack stepped down, there would probably be an opportunity, but it wasn't something I was interested in doing, not at this stage in my career."

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
If he is unhappy about how it was perceived by the media and fans he only has his agent to blame.
I respectfully disagree. Even though when Earle showed some concern, I thought it may be due to Saban retiring. There was no way on God's green earth that Saban would go to a school that required him to do much more "hob-nobbing" and "hand-shaking" with wealthy arrogant alumni than what he already despises doing at Alabama. At the point that our own Alumni realize that Saban's time is best spent on the things he wants to do and needs to do, They'll realize we have even greater chances of success on the football field. Saban is a workaholic, so every hour that is drained from his free time, family time, and "recharge the batteries" time works against us. I would never attend an Alumni event or Red Elephant type event that he's speaking at because i'd feel like i was also part of the problem. He gives us so much, he owes us nothing.

There was no amount of (realistic) money that Saban would have taken, just to finish his career in a miserable situation like Texas presents to a coach.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Blame it on the "Mac has to go" shaggy bevos. They whipped it up, out of wishful thinking, hoping it would force what they foresee as the inevitable. Mac will leave..............eventually. Maybe even voluntarily.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I respectfully disagree. Even though when Earle showed some concern, I thought it may be due to Saban retiring. There was no way on God's green earth that Saban would go to a school that required him to do much more "hob-nobbing" and "hand-shaking" with wealthy arrogant alumni than what he already despises doing at Alabama. At the point that our own Alumni realize that Saban's time is best spent on the things he wants to do and needs to do, They'll realize we have even greater chances of success on the football field. Saban is a workaholic, so every hour that is drained from his free time, family time, and "recharge the batteries" time works against us. I would never attend an Alumni event or Red Elephant type event that he's speaking at because i'd feel like i was also part of the problem. He gives us so much, he owes us nothing.

There was no amount of (realistic) money that Saban would have taken, just to finish his career in a miserable situation like Texas presents to a coach.
You missed my point. It had nothing to with Coach wanting to go or even being a good fit there. IMHO it had everything to do with a greedy agent using another school to grab more cash and not necessarily for his client but himself.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
So, you are assuming the reason it took so long for CNS to sign had everything to do with his agent trying to get more $$$$.

And nothing to do with him being on the road, recruiting. And signing the extension in front of some prime recruits.

None of us know. All we do know is UTw if full of Mac haters, and they created this firestorm.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
So, you are assuming the reason it took so long for CNS to sign had everything to do with his agent trying to get more $$$$.

And nothing to do with him being on the road, recruiting. And signing the extension in front of some prime recruits.

None of us know. All we do know is UTw if full of Mac haters, and they created this firestorm.
I'm assuming no such thing. One only has to consider he had signed an extension just last March.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I doubt Saban actually wanted/considered going to Texas but that doesn't mean he let others know.

leveraging for a pay increase happens all the time. Sumlin just did it.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
You missed my point. It had nothing to with Coach wanting to go or even being a good fit there. IMHO it had everything to do with a greedy agent using another school to grab more cash and not necessarily for his client but himself.
Sorry. I got your point but answered it a little sideways. I wasn't really trying to say you didn't understand. I just couldn't believe that even Jimmy Sexton thought we were all so dumb we'd believe that in the past few months Coach Saban somehow completely changed his personality and work ethic. There's no way he'd be given the time each day doing what needed to be done there. "Too many Gods to pray to" at Texas. Not a Saban type gig. He has freedom at Alabama, to do whatever he needs to do, the way it should be for a guy like him. Besides, when was the last time a coach went laterally (or downward in my opinion) to go to Texas? Mack Brown went up significantly from North Carolina. Mackovic went up from Arizona or where ever he came from. David McWilliams before him??? More of a job for someone looking to step up big in salary and stature, like from Vandy or Auburn.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Few of you guys were here in Texas, last week. This was the #1 sports story, knocking Jerruh and "America's team" off the top. With the exception of one guy (who used to be on JOX), there was no doubt it was a done deal.

There is nothing CNS could have done, to squelch this, as his reputation was mud, for his "I'm not going to be the coach at Alabama" comments.

I'm sure there will still be talk of it, come Monday. The UT Mac haters are a crazy bunch. And there are enough of them to keep the firestorm going.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
If I was Mack and the big wigs came to me with 'hey we wanted you all along.... all that stuff was just so... crazy. it was business...' and a contract, I'd tell them to go take a hike and - "hook em horns" -.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Not saying he didn't consider it -- who wouldn't? But, there was no way really he was going to tejas. I have to admit this has been one of the greatest trolls in the history of the game. Enjoyed it to the end and unlike a lot of ESPN "journalists" who say they knew, I really knew this was not going to happen. ;) Never. Roll Tide.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Few of you guys were here in Texas, last week. This was the #1 sports story, knocking Jerruh and "America's team" off the top. With the exception of one guy (who used to be on JOX), there was no doubt it was a done deal.

There is nothing CNS could have done, to squelch this, as his reputation was mud, for his "I'm not going to be the coach at Alabama" comments.

I'm sure there will still be talk of it, come Monday. The UT Mac haters are a crazy bunch. And there are enough of them to keep the firestorm going.
Then the people who had "no doubt" that it was a done deal are, in my opinion, not very perceptive - or very bright. They certainly didn't do their homework on Saban. Saban does not like situations like the University of Texas presents to a coach, with their time demands that are much greater than at a place like Alabama where he is given much more freedom. Saban would have been miserable having to cater to the ego-maniacal "Good Oil Boys" who demand face time from the coach. If he had gone to UT, he would have retired after a season, if he made it that far.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Then the people who had "no doubt" that it was a done deal are, in my opinion, not very perceptive - or very bright.
The latter. The chuckle-heads, on the local ESPN affiliate, have a track record of being idiots. Most of their delusion revolved around why anyone would prefer T-town over Austin.

They certainly didn't do their homework on Saban. Saban does not like situations like the University of Texas presents to a coach, with their time demands that are much greater than at a place like Alabama where he is given much more freedom.
Right again: no homework. No one who has paid any attention to CNS thinks he would relish all the clutter of the LHN.

Saban would have been miserable having to cater to the ego-maniacal "Good Oil Boys" who demand face time from the coach.
Yep, the GOB BMD would be in for a big surprise.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.