Interesting idea for our offense next year

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Just a thought, and Saban would probably never do this, but it would be funny if we did it for the second half of a late season game like Western Carolina, just to mess with the folks down in Lee County:

What if we ran the same offense that you know who ran this year, with Blake Sims at QB, and Drake, Yeldon, and Henry in the backfield? Think that might put a little fear into the hearts of the bus riders? Assuming we looked good doing it in practice of course. It could also be a nice package for Sims to have whenever he's in the games. We ran that offense at Mountain Brook back when i played in the early 80's, and it's very simple to learn due to the few basic plays that are involved.

But before i get flamed, i do realize that taking valuable practice time away from what we do best is a little unrealistic. Just thought it would be funny if we took the offense that they ran, and did it better than them.

Roll Tide! Glad Saban is settled so all the "sky is falling" folks can sleep now. Let's go kick some Sooner tails!

WCS Dad

Scout Team
Oct 2, 2004
Rainbow City, AL
Just a thought, and Saban would probably never do this, but it would be funny if we did it for the second half of a late season game like Western Carolina, just to mess with the folks down in Lee County:

What if we ran the same offense that you know who ran this year, with Blake Sims at QB, and Drake, Yeldon, and Henry in the backfield? Think that might put a little fear into the hearts of the bus riders? Assuming we looked good doing it in practice of course. It could also be a nice package for Sims to have whenever he's in the games. We ran that offense at Mountain Brook back when i played in the early 80's, and it's very simple to learn due to the few basic plays that are involved.

But before i get flamed, i do realize that taking valuable practice time away from what we do best is a little unrealistic. Just thought it would be funny if we took the offense that they ran, and did it better than them.

Roll Tide! Glad Saban is settled so all the "sky is falling" folks can sleep now. Let's go kick some Sooner tails!
Why not? That or the wishbone, or some modification of it. I agree with the practice time comment, but it would also force the other teams to devote some time to prepare for it. We've sure got the backs for it.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Why not? That or the wishbone, or some modification of it. I agree with the practice time comment, but it would also force the other teams to devote some time to prepare for it. We've sure got the backs for it.
After seeing how AU used Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams in the same backfield at the same time I've wanted us to do something similar just for a few plays. As you said, "force the other teams to devote some time to prepare for it." I think that is a greatly misunderstood concept. Show enough things that will defensive coordinators working hard to prepare for. I liked how we used the option with Andrew Zow in the 2001 Iron Bowl just enough to keep the AU defense honest. The smoke draw with Shaud Williams in 2002 was a thing of beauty. Those are some wrinkles that I would like to see us add to our basic offensive package to give us some different possibilities when nothing else is working.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that AJ should do like Michael Bloomberg and try to get the rules changed so he can keep playing for Alabama.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
This is one other posters come in and say that you're stupid for suggesting we change anything since we've been so successful.

I think it would be an interesting idea to trot out a couple times year just to freak out some teams and give them something to think about

I hope in Sabans last year he starts doing funky stuff like this to make a little more fun on his way out

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I have no problem with adding a wrinkle or two into our offensive play book. It clearly couldnt hurt and in fact, may help when we need something different.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Old guy here...what is NCAA 14? ;) I have never played it.
Funny you mention that. NCAA 14 is the college version of Madden football in the video game genre. My son and I this week and weekend are doing an 8-game playoff. Bama plays Baylor today. He's Bama, I'm Baylor. My son may try that since I ran all over him (Ohio St) with Auburn HUNH runs. lol.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Since we ran The Old Notre Dame Box when I played high school football..I'd Love us to run some out of The Box, it's a good way to get our best players on the field at the same time, and it's dang near impossible to defend when ran properly..LOL

CE83

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 12, 2004
I forget who Alabama was playing, but during the wishbone era Coach Bryant went into the I formation on the last possession before the half just to get the opposing team to have to spend some valuable half time adjustment time considering how to defense the I formation.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
I have no problem with adding a wrinkle or two into our offensive play book. It clearly couldnt hurt and in fact, may help when we need something different.
I would love to see a new wrinkle or two in our offense. Like two RBs in the backfield at the same time. I've always said that a good fake is worth at least one good block, maybe more.
Our offense is a hand-off up the middle, a drop back pass or a play-action roll out to the right. I'm not really complaining, we've been winning with it, but still........ Would love to see the opponents defense's eyes get big when we trot out Yeldon and Drake at the same time.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Either save the new wrinkles for the big games, or show them early in the season, and run something different from the same formation when the big game comes along. Something like(to pull something out of thin air)running a two back set, but wait until LSU or Auburn to run it and use both backs as receivers.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Since we ran The Old Notre Dame Box when I played high school football..I'd Love us to run some out of The Box, it's a good way to get our best players on the field at the same time, and it's dang near impossible to defend when ran properly..LOL
Did you go to school at Walter Welborne?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.