Saban ready to 'start all over again' at Alabama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Interesting read: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/76625/saban-ready-to-start-all-over-again

“I’m looking at it like we’ve got to start all over again, that this is 2007 again,” Saban told ESPN.com Saturday after agreeing to a long-term extension with Alabama.

“We’ve had a lot of success here, but we’re going to have a new quarterback next year and lots of challenges. Some of the issues on our team this year had to do with complacency and winning too much. We have to get back to having the kind of character, attitude and competitive spirit that we need to have.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Coach Nick Saban
“I’m looking at it like we’ve got to start all over again, that this is 2007 again,” Saban told ESPN.com Saturday after agreeing to a long-term extension with Alabama.

“We’ve had a lot of success here, but we’re going to have a new quarterback next year and lots of challenges. Some of the issues on our team this year had to do with complacency and winning too much. We have to get back to having the kind of character, attitude and competitive spirit that we need to have."

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! That's our CNS! He needs to have our men ready to obliterate OU (Sorry Sooners), get the 5* recruits on the same page and then go into next season with the drive and dedication of being the first winner of the NC Playoff series...convincingly. Oh, it's great to be a Crimson Tide Fan. I've been wanting to change to Tide into a full-blown Tsunami for a while now, and I feel the swell beginning to build. Roll Tide!

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
I can deal with a repeat of the last 6 years. Do we see more of a disciplinarian this season, like 2007? I am very excited about next season to see who steps up and who takes advantage of thier opportunity. Roll Tide people.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can deal with a repeat of the last 6 years. Do we see more of a disciplinarian this season, like 2007? I am very excited about next season to see who steps up and who takes advantage of thier opportunity. Roll Tide people.
That's what I am reading in this - the kinder/gentler Saban has left the building.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Gotta admit it's hard not to get excited after reading that. CNS has been so successful but what sets him apart is the consistency and continuity. One way he does that I think is by closing the book on last season and moving on. When we've had a lot of success that's been harder to do. Okay, 11-1 and in the Sugar Bowl isn't an unsuccessful season (it's a fantastic season) but we all know how Coach is going to make this into a huge plus.

It's so exciting. New QB. Big time young guys on the team. A blend of experience and talent throughout the roster, and what appears (so far) to be very little staff turnover. Alabama is gearing up for another run. It'll look different in some ways but the NCAAF world knows what's coming.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
That's what I am reading in this - the kinder/gentler Saban has left the building.
Idk about that. I understand what you're getting at, though. This year he really preached accountability and attention to detail (sounds like the Army) and so I think we will continue to see the mellowing of CNS in some ways but the kids are going to get coached HARD and every spot will be open for competition along the way.

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
One slight difference between 2007 and 2014…a roster full of 4 and 5 stars. Complacency is a challenge, but a greater challenge is having less talent than the other guys. But I love the mindset.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The biggest problem with what Alabama was trying to do this season, and really the past few seasons was due to the simple fact that there was no margin for error.

So, even when Saban missed out on key recruits, even when he lost key coaches, even when he faced key injuries, he really couldn't change anything. That might not sound like much, but imagine as a coach being locked into what you're doing and having no room for adjustments. Auburn made massive adjustments, and had fantastic success doing so, but they had nothing to lose. Alabama had everything to lose.

There was also a certain weariness, a sense of dread, we all were fearing that one event that broke Alabama's streak. It made it difficult to enjoy anything, and I found myself saying things like "I just hope no one gets injured", rather than the logical "I just hope Alabama wins". When you can't enjoy winning, it really saps a lot of energy out of the process.

Now, hopefully everything is reset. Hopefully the fans will find new enthusiasm and energy, and hopefully Nick Saban feels free to take some risks, to make adjustments, and to set Alabama up for another great run. It's not all about 4 and 5 star players, ask USC. There's a lot more to it than that, and I'm looking forward to the possibility of another great run by Alabama.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
I like that thinking, and getting the bubble burst might be what the doctor ordered for everyone.

I do know one thing, Coach Saban will be much less third person when referring to future Iron Bowls. I think this game won him over to our way of thinking about the barn.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Awesome! We've had another coach do this with great success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The final quote in this article should make every coach in the SEC start to wet himself immediately, especially the bolded part:

“The expectations are what they are here, and we don’t run around talking about them,” Saban said. “We created them, and we’ll handle them.”

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
As much as we're going to miss AJ, I have to admit, it's going to be exciting see the QB battle, as it heats up in spring ball, & see any changes made to the offense come next year..It's fun times for us Bama Fans & not so much much for the rest of college football..

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
The final quote in this article should make every coach in the SEC start to wet himself immediately, especially the bolded part:
I think this is something CNS has been coming to grips with. He has never really been anywhere long enough to create this level of expectation over a long stretch. Sounds like he is likely to take a bit different approach to handling it next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.